Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19'+ Dually Front vs Rear Wheel Caps

MikeXM

Reaction score
Looks like the Front and Rear caps are different on a dually.
The Fronts sit flush when installed.
But the Rears have a large air gap?
Anyone knows why?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect because the front and rear bolt patterns are now different on the Dually with the new 12" AAM axle?

boatdude1

Reaction score
Looks like the Front and Rear caps are different on a dually.
The Fronts sit flush when installed.
But the Rears have a large air gap?
Anyone knows why?
I added factory alloys to mine and saw that. I returned the rear caps and put a set of front caps on the rear. They fit perfect and no gap.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I added factory alloys to mine and saw that. I returned the rear caps and put a set of front caps on the rear. They fit perfect and no gap.
Hum. I don't think it bothers me that much tho. Especially since it's only on my winter set of wheels (yeah, I installed my winter set yesterday, hence my question).

If they did two different caps, I'm pretty sure there must be a reason... And I want to find out why!

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
No, they are the same, otherwise spare wouldn't fit on one of the axle.

You're right they are the same - with the front using an adapter to take the 8x165mm bolt pattern spindle up to 8x200 to match the rear axle.

I misunderstood another post I saw. Still seems to be throwing the aftermarket wheel crowd off.

MikeXM

Reaction score
You're right they are the same - with the front using an adapter to take the 8x165mm bolt pattern spindle up to 8x200 to match the rear axle.

I misunderstood another post I saw. Still seems to be throwing the aftermarket wheel crowd off.
Oh yes, definitively. No on-line vendor (except CarID), nor the local guys would guaranty fitment for aftermarket wheels. Many still listed the older bolt pattern for my truck. I was like, nope, you guys are wrong.
So I had to tell them: nvm I will buy them myself and figure out if they really work or not. Even where I ordered I had to say it was for a Ford.
And BTW, they did fit!

So short story short: any Ford compatible 8x200mm wheels will fit our 19+ RAM DRW. And as you noted, if you want to do a straight single up front (instead of dually compatible wheel), you need to use the 8x165 bolt pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread