Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'19 2500 - steering sloppy or is it my imagination?

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I picked up this '19 2500 about 4 - 5 weeks ago. I've only put on about 400 miles since purchase but this is my 4th 2500/3500 so I sort of think I'm pretty familiar with how they drive ... this truck though the steering is just very sloppy/loose - like having to make constant adjustments and turning the wheel pretty far (left or right) to make minor corrections. Also hard to describe, but it feels like the front wheels are almost ...eh only thing that comes to mind is slippery, like on ice. Only has 40K miles, it is 4x4 and has 20" wheels with look like almost brand new Nitto Grapplers. All suspension components are OEM, truck has no modifications.

Anyway it has gotten to the point that I had to post and try describing what it's like. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? If not, then I guess it's just more evidence that I am making crap up (which is my wife's vote).

Basser53

Reaction score
The 19 plus have electronic assist steering.. I noticed it right away when I traded my 18 for a 21 .I got use to it real quick.. buddy of mine drove my truck and thought it didn't feel right he has a half ton.. hopefully you just need to get use to it is all..
Jack up the front end and see if there's any slop..

Jsboening

Reaction score
That’s not great to hear I’m going from a 2016 1500 to a 2022 2500. It might be a 2023 by the time it gets here. Hope I don’t hate the steering.

eric326

Reaction score
That’s not great to hear I’m going from a 2016 1500 to a 2022 2500. It might be a 2023 by the time it gets here. Hope I don’t hate the steering.
Just as an opinion, for as little as it’s worth, I don’t mind my 22’ 3500s steering feel. As reference coming from a 19’ 1500, yes the 3500 is a “looser” steering feel (a bit more wander). But within reason for the solid front axle vs the IFS….or I’m just not as picky haha.

I do have the Adaptive Steering on my truck, and stock tires; also, Mark Dodge was nice enough to check and adjust my alignment upon request when I picked up. It was near limits from the factory.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
My '19 tracks great. I am a spirited driver, I corner it pretty hard at times. Never have I found steering to be questionable at speed. Have the tires been rotated??

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The 19 plus have electronic assist steering.. I noticed it right away when I traded my 18 for a 21 .I got use to it real quick.. buddy of mine drove my truck and thought it didn't feel right he has a half ton.. hopefully you just need to get use to it is all..
Jack up the front end and see if there's any slop..
No they dont the still have hydraulic assist what you are referring too is the torque overlay thats what makes the steering feel loose in the trucks with lane assist if you have a non lane assist truck they steer just like they have for decades

Users who are viewing this thread