Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 speaker Harmon Kardon

bfs673

Reaction score
Just thought I'd chime in here for my first impressions, coming from a '14 with the Alpine system.

While I'm not an audiophile, I am an audio enthusiast with decent experience in home theater. I'm familiar with and have set up room correction calibrations, acoustic treatments to manage room modes, manage secondary reflection points, etc. I know what good sound is. There's much more for me to learn, but as I grow older, my hearing doesn't keep up with what I'd "like" to hear.

I've never expected audiophile quality from a vehicle sound system. Even the Bowers & Wilkins system in the Volvo's (one of my favorites) suffer from some issues, mainly the environment; it's not a proper audio environment.

The '14 with the Alpine system was fairly good. Without going into a full review, I found it decent all around, regardless of input (SD card, USB, BT, etc.). Satellite radio… forget it.

I've only had my truck for a week, and minimal seat time. So take the following with a grain of salt:

My '21 with the HK was a disappointment to begin with.
I've learned the source matters greatly on this unit, more so than I've experienced with other systems. Bluetooth streaming of Spotify (My streaming app of choice) was relatively flat with a narrowed sound stage. Worse than my '14 for sure.
With the same settings, Android Auto resulted in a dramatic improvement! Finally, I could hear what this system is capable of doing. Wider sound stage, good SW performance, vocals are very clean.
I find the transition of mid to low frequencies between the speakers and SW to be too dramatic. When you hear sound coming from the SW, you know it's coming from the SW. It should be "invisible" to the ear. The low pass filter should have a range, not a sharp cut-off. Additionally, some of the high frequency sounds can be a bit too bright/harsh.

I will spend some time with my SPL meter and frequency sweeps to find the best settings for the EQ (though there's not much adjustment to play with).
This might clean up the mid to low freq transition and subdue the high frequency a bit.

XM has never sounded good to me; Ever. This system is no exception. I've had folks argue this point, I then listen to their system and find it to sound compressed (think low bit-rate MP3). Some channels are better than others, obviously a bandwidth priority.

I'm definitely satisfied with the system.

Reaction score
XM sucks on all radios. They compress the **** out of the signal to save bandwidth.

Sirius and XM branded radios use different technology for compression/codec. My Ford Sirius radio sounded horrrrrrible, and my Toyota XM branded radio sounded much better/clearer. The branding is based on old contracts with OEMs from when the two systems were separate companies, and therefor still using the original tech.

I don't know which audio processing the Mopar radios are using, but they're some of the only OEM units able to access the "Xtra" channels in the 300s. My 2021 HK system sounds much much better playing satellite radio than other factory Sirius systems I've heard.

Rammer

Reaction score
Hello Everyone.
I just found this post and would like to ask a question.
I have a 2019 Ram 2500 Longhorn Diesel Crew Cab.
The HK 17 speaker system sucks compared to my previous Alpine system I had in my 2015 Ram 1500 Longhorn.

The thing is, I know what the issue is and FCA won't entertain a fix. It's the EQ settings. Each notch up does not boost the tone enough. For example, I have to run the bass setting at max just to make it sound ok. With the EQ at max bass I should be driving the Sub woofer in the back like crazy and rattling the windows. But it's not. Same goes for the mid and treble setting. Keep in mind, this is not loudness or balance I'm talking about. It's tone. Each notch of the EQ in either three of the levels needs to boost at a larger db. I have no idea what it is right now, but it needs to be much more then it is.

So what's happening is that different audio sources and or stations are all broadcast at different qualities. We need adequate adjustment of the 3 band EQ to compensate for this. I can't do that and have to live with poor quality sound.

Is anyone else having this EQ issue?

Thanks
My experience is similar to yours. I had a 2017 Ram 1500 Limited, and the sound was excellent regardless of source, but I just traded it for a 2019 2500 Limited and I am very disappointed with the sound quality in comparison to the previous vehicle. . When using the CD as a source the sound quality is pretty decent, but the sound quality when playing the radio whether it's Sirius or FM is pretty pathetic - sounds very tinny to me no matter what I do with the equalizer settings. I had assumed the sound quality would be equal or better to my previous 1500 RAM, but that is not the case at all. I don't understand how RAM can brag about this thing because it is very underwhelming to say the least. Very disappointed.

Buppies

Reaction score
The best factory radio I ever heard was in a Jag XF B&O system would knock your socks off but in my older age cannot hear what I used to. Wife has X7 with what looks to be same system at least it sounds the same to the one in my truck. Have to admit music on my IPhone sounds better than SiriusXM. But at 67 I do not hear what I used to

matemike

Reaction score
What's the latest on the HK systems? Are they coming out nowadays with improved software post updates?

I ordered a Laramie and while I wanted the Alpine system, I wanted power running boards so was forced to get a Level B group which included the HK's. Not a deal breaker, just would like to know if people are happier with them now that a year has gone by since beginning of this thread.

CharlieL

Reaction score
As I sit in line at the bank drive in I’m jammin' to Led Zepplin thru Carplay cranked on the 17 speaker HK system. Sounds almost better then home $tereo system and vast improvement over the Alpine system that was in my 2013 Laramie 1500. Personal preferences set in equalizer & my preference is with "surround sound" setting on.

Oh yeah.... Gollum, the evil one crept up and slipped away with her...

Last edited:

ST3500

Reaction score
I will spend some time with my SPL meter and frequency sweeps to find the best settings for the EQ (though there's not much adjustment to play with).
This might clean up the mid to low freq transition and subdue the high frequency a bit.

The mid to low frequencies are somehow very pronounced on a crew cab configuration.
The native cabin dimensions and the speaker location creates a very efficient response from 70 to 200 Hz.
When I upgraded my system with a DSP, I was able to finally adjust that frequency range (with an RTA microphone) to a more natural and pleasant transition.
The 8" subwoofer (HK or Alpine) ..... they are decent but I can't really consider them a "subwoofer".
A 10" subwoofer with its dedicated enclosure (for starters) and proper crossover settings from mid to low frequencies does makes a world of difference (and while you're at it you can adjust those front tweeters, as well).

Dasmoetorhead

Reaction score
I'm not real picky I guess, because the 17 speaker HK system works for me. So did my Alpine system on my 2015 Ram longhorn drw ctd. I remember a 2 speaker system in my 76 F100. It worked good too.
I only listen to the radio while I'm traveling. In town I listen to the sweet 6.7. That's all thats needed. Cheers!

TXsportDiver

Reaction score
I think the speakers and amp hardware that are there are fine. However, on a Mega Cab, the bass is very boomy (too high a frequency peak, er as ST3500 said "a very efficient response from 70 to 200 Hz") and there's no way to EQ it down without essentially turning off nearly all the bass. I'd love to see a software upgrade for a 5, 7 or more band EQ in Audio settings--Small, Medium and Large (Bass, Mid, Treble) is just too One Size Fits All.

And, as others have said, XM compression sucks...but, their content is king. Now, if my old school iPod was compatible, I'd be in hog heaven. As it is, I wander around through 128GB of USB in a poor interface.

Users who are viewing this thread