Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17 or 18" wheels

supergeess

Reaction score
I'm considering some 35 0r 27" tires and wanted to get some input on 17 vs 18" wheels...pros and cons.
Thanks in advance.

jadmt

Reaction score
I like 17" simply because I wanted AEV wheels. I wanted AEV because they have about the perfect offset for running 35's or 37's. one con is some tire shops can't figure out they need to use thinner weights when balancing or the weights get knocked off by the calipers. Pro to the 18" is more space for tire shops who are not smart enough to balance with the proper weight. One other advantage of 18's is you could get a set of 285/75-18 tires which are an awesome size. slightly taller than most 35's and slightly narrower than 35/12.5-17's. other than that flip a coin.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
The truck comes with 17's.

You have a larger selection of tires in 17.

You will have more sidewall with a 17 for better small bump compliance.

Most off road trucks run 17's. ;) We run 17's with 40" tires on our desert race truck. ;)

Either one you can run balance beads and not worry about wheel weights getting knocked off. I haven't run wheel weights in decades. Even ran balance beads in my Harley wheels.

supergeess

Reaction score
Thanks jadmt and Crusty!
I've always run 17s also but am having a more difficulty finding 17s in stock. 18s seem to be more avialable...at least the places I'm looking.
This could also be because the 17s are more popular.

Users who are viewing this thread