Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

17” Tire Recommendation

dstonic

Reaction score
2021 Ram 3500 Limited Mega (fully loaded) with LT235/80R17 Nexen…….Needed recommendations on what high quality tires to replace with. We yow 5th wheel Cecar Creek 38EL…Cat scale said 24,000lbs. Price not an option. What say you? Really enjoying the forum and appreciate the help we have gotten.324C5184-0D35-46F0-8CF3-D6CBDE8B03B6.jpeg

Cseybert

Reaction score
Michelin defender that’s what I’m gonna go with on my 22 DRW when factory tires give out.

dstonic

Reaction score
Michelin defender that’s what I’m gonna go with on my 22 DRW when factory tires give out.
Sounds good…presently I have 14,000 miles on the Nexums and somewhat concerned…plan on a 2500 mile round trip with camper.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I like my Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs. Good traction on snow, wet, dry n quiet too. I'm very aggressive behind the wheel and they are holding up great for me after 16kmi. . Falken Wildpeak is another one I would look at. They are super popular across multiple forums. They are the tire i should have put on my 17 JK. I went with Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they just don't perform well once the roads get moist. This is all assuming you are thinking about an A/T tread design. Happy Hunting!

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
I like my Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs. Good traction on snow, wet, dry n quiet too. I'm very aggressive behind the wheel and they are holding up great for me after 16kmi. . Falken Wildpeak is another one I would look at. They are super popular across multiple forums. They are the tire i should have put on my 17 JK. I went with Nitto Ridge Grapplers and they just don't perform well once the roads get moist. This is all assuming you are thinking about an A/T tread design. Happy Hunting!
I second this. The ride has been the best on the Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs.. BFG, Michelin, and Toyo did not compare to the ride quality hooked up and empty. Not sure on how long they last, got rid of the truck when the 22 came in, but they will go on the 22 as soon as the OEM's are gone.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had 3 sets of cooper discovery at3s crack badly in 20k miles! Avoid them

Michelins if you want a good highway towing tire

CTF2019

Reaction score
Good highway dually tire?

Bridgestone Duravis R500 235/80r17. Gsbrockman on CF recommended them and he's always on the road.

Ran them on the 04 and boy are they nice tires. Better than Michelin IMHO.

dstonic

Reaction score
I looked at my back 4 Nexum tires and @14,000 miles they have still good tread, unlike the front ones. Seriously now thinking of getting two new Nexum front tires and run them again till the backs wear more and "THEN" get a more robust quality ( 6 new tires). Hate to just toss the 4 rears with that much wear left on them.

CTF2019

Reaction score
No reason to have matching tires on a dually. You can only rotate side to side anyways.

Also, on DRWs, you usually have to replace the fronts first. You just need matching tires on an axle.

dstonic

Reaction score
No reason to have matching tires on a dually. You can only rotate side to side anyways.

Also, on DRWs, you usually have to replace the fronts first. You just need matching tires on an axle.
I hear you.....but I wanted to keep the white wall letters to match the rear.....also my inner wheels are steel and not polished aluminums like the outsides. Althougth I know I can have them remounted again (keeping in spirit of your suggestion) which is one that I am thinking about.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score

Depends on where you are and if its 4wd. One province here you cant run miss matched tires idk if any states have the same laws

CTF2019

Reaction score
Depends on where you are and if its 4wd. One province here you cant run miss matched tires idk if any states have the same laws
This doesn’t exist down here in USA. What a stupid law.

I can see mismatched tires on an axle, but entire truck? Stupid.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
This doesn’t exist down here in USA. What a stupid law.

I can see mismatched tires on an axle, but entire truck? Stupid.
I wouldnt do it due to the small differences in circumference if in 4x4 mode. some tires are 1/2 inch bigger around than the same size in another brand.

Users who are viewing this thread