Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'16 3500 Clunking in front

rsg1963

Reaction score
I accidentally posted this in 4.5 gen and will now try to delete that one.
Hello everyone, apparently I'm new here. I thought I was a member from years ago but maybe that was ramforumz only. Anyway, I have searched 12 pages of threads and used the search function to no avail for my issue. So forgive me if this is a common issue and I did not find it.
Ordered from the factory: '16 3500 dually MegaCab with 105k miles, 20" rims with 275/65 tires (34") <In case that's important to know.

The issue is this clunking in the steering wheel/pedals under many situations. For example, certain pot holes, bridge transitions, coming to a complete stop without feathering the brakes at the very last mph...(like a child would do when first learning to drive). The feeling is as if my steering column bearings (if there even are any) were shot and the shaft clunks against the side. Or another way to share it, it feels like the front axle bolts are sloppy and maybe the bushings are worn causing the bolt to hit the carrier? Iv'e brought it to the dealership 2x and they tested everything and reported no issues even though the most recent time they admitted the felt it too. One thread mentioned body bushings so that's a possibility. I'd love to hear if anyone else has had a similar problem. Thank you for reading this long story!

It's hard to explain but it's so noticeable I'm thinking of buying Carli ball joints, Carli track bar, new unit bearing hubs, etc... to just start eliminating possible fail points while also improving things.

Users who are viewing this thread