Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 or 2500

Pig Daddy

Reaction score
Been reading the forums for a while but this is my first post.

I’m looking for a new RAM. Spent a decade driving Tahoes, Yukons etc. most of those had 4WD tow package etc.

It will be a daily driver and used to haul toys around primarily. I have a 20ft boat and trailer, a 14 foot trailer, a 10 ft trailer, Polaris side by side, golf cart etc.

I think most of these seem to fit a 1500 most of the time. In a well optioned Laramie trim, I’m eating into payload capacity quite a bit. Towing capacity still might be fine. While I won’t need that extra payload capacity too often. When I do need it, I don’t want to worry about it either.

So this pushes me toward the 2500 Laramie 4x4 crew cab 6’4 box with either the hemi or Cummins option.

While it’s rare that I need to pick up a 3000 lb worth of material, I don’t always want to go grab a trailer just to do it. So, I tend to fall in the category of “I’d rather have the capacity and not need it,rather than need it and not have it”.

Within reason of course..

That said, I’d like to get the group’s thoughts on options to consider and recommendations.

Is a 2500 the way to go? Would a Cummins be needed?

Thoughts?

kevin588127

Reaction score
Sounds like where I was at a few years back when I bought my 1500. I opted for a 1500 with 10900 lb tow rating. It served me well pulling a car trailer, sometimes weighing 9500lbs. I've loved this truck but payload capacity is where it lacks. The stock tires needed to be needed up to handle any kind of towing. The springs also needed upgraded as any tongue weight cause excessive squat. After doing this it towed great but the ride and fuel mileage suffered. The real problem came when we got a toy hauler. It is 28' with 1100 lbs of tongue weight. Add passengers and cargo and I'm over my 1500 lb payload. Truck has plenty of power to complete the task but you know the camper is there at all times. It only weighs 8000 lbs most times. Now I'm upgrading to a gas 2500. If you ever plan on a moderate size camper, skip the 1500. I would also say the same thing about a diesel 2500. The diesel eats up so much payload. Sure you have the power to pull a house but not the payload capacity to do it.

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
IMHO you don't need a diesel. If you tow 12k or less the big Hemi will do you just fine. I do recommend getting the 4.10 rear end. Not only does it increase tow capacity (over 16k in my MegaCab), when not towing it really pops off the line. Lots of fun to drive. Also with the Cummins you are paying about 10 grand more and losing about 1k in payload capacity. Good Luck!

Pronto

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe a 1500 in the right configuration might do for you depending on your boat weight but then I read the part where you wanted to put 3k in the bed. Then I wondered why you weren't debating between an 2500 and a 3500. Either way, I don't see your need for a Cummins unless maybe you have a really long commute to work or live in the mountains.

tchur1

Reaction score
I was in a similar position to you. I pull a pretty big wakeboard boat 6 months a year that weighs about 10k With 1k tongue weight. I had a tundra with about 11k towing but only 1500 pounds of payload so I was pretty much always at the limit and I could really feel it when trying to stop the boat while towing.

I ended up ordering a 3500 with the HO Cummins. I know that’s way overboard for my boat but I didn’t want to start to push payload on a 2500 cummins since they are significantly lower. I also live in Lake Tahoe and am towing over mountain passes quite often and wanted the stronger transmission for this. The cost between 2500 and 3500 isn’t all that much so I figured why not Get everything exactly as I want it with more than enough capability for my needs. Truck should be here in a few weeks and I can’t wait to tow with it the first time.

in your position you can’t really go wrong but another member summarized this decision well (sorry I can’t remember who it was). If you’re going to get a diesel get the 3500 and the HO Cummins. If you’re going gasser get the 2500

Basser53

Reaction score
If your going gas , what's the price difference between a 1500 and a 2500?. The half ton will drive nicer ,ride better as an everyday driver.. my opinion, the 3500 ho would be overkill.. the 2500 would ride nicer then the 3500..if your planninig on getting a fith wheel go 3500 ..it. really depends on what you want and what you want to spend..

WildBill138

Reaction score
I traded my 2021 1500 silverado for a 2500 ram hemi. The brakes on the 1500 were not great for towing my 20 ft boat. Didnt feel sturdy as id like. The 2500 ram tows my car hauler with a 3500 lb car like a champ, stable, brakes are excellent. The heavier truck was just built to tow and you can drive with confidence. I didnt like the way the 1500 stressed me out towing. Bad braking distances, could feel the weight even on the boat. Seemed like it was wearing out parts etc. 2500 is safer to tow for myself and others with me and around me.

WYnott

Reaction score
If the majority of my driving is hauling
Long trailers, say 40 plus feet, I put at least a50 gallon tank in the bed extra and go diesel just to avoid convenience store gas pumps and Karen who parks wherever she wants.

Flying J truck stops etc are so easy to get in and out of for diesel and the transfer tank in the bed gives me enough range that I only have to fuel up at any pump once every 500 miles, which is usually the end of my day driving.

No one ever said , " I wish my truck could carry less"....2500 is a minimum, I've had the 1500 soccer mom trucks 3 times in the last 18 years, I think if I lived in a city they'd be fine.
I gave up waiting for an 8 foot box to get built, went with 6'4, I already regret not waiting for the 8 foot.
Good luck with whatever you decide on, enjoy!

Pig Daddy

Reaction score
IMHO you don't need a diesel. If you tow 12k or less the big Hemi will do you just fine. I do recommend getting the 4.10 rear end. Not only does it increase tow capacity (over 16k in my MegaCab), when not towing it really pops off the line. Lots of fun to drive. Also with the Cummins you are paying about 10 grand more and losing about 1k in payload capacity. Good Luck!

This has been my thought. I didn't feel like a diesel was completely necessary for my needs. That it would fall into my "have it in case I need it category".

Resale value isn't my main concern but if the 2500 Diesel was more common config, held its value longer and had more potential "used truck" buyers out there then I would be willing to go that route if I were buying something that would be considered "less desirable" to the masses when it came time to sell it. Aside from that, Like many of you here, I am ordering the truck for a reason-- so I can get the options that suite my needs :).

Pig Daddy

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe a 1500 in the right configuration might do for you depending on your boat weight but then I read the part where you wanted to put 3k in the bed. Then I wondered why you weren't debating between an 2500 and a 3500. Either way, I don't see your need for a Cummins unless maybe you have a really long commute to work or live in the mountains.

Regarding the 3K in the bed. It doesn't happen often. But...I did have to pick up tile during a bathroom renovation. It was heavy tile (marble) and a lot of it. Of course, I only had my 5X10 utility trailer around so that's what got used. It limped on down the road... :). The people behind me were less than thrilled.

It's towing my boat and the towing capacity that probably occurs most often. With those trips, I could have the entire family of 4, light luggage, a cooler, a toolbox or two to take care of minor repairs etc. Fortunately, most of my towing is to the ramp and back so I don't have to cover a lot distance. I do cover some hills but these are hills in Georgia. -- It's far cry from the Rockies...

Pig Daddy

Reaction score
I was in a similar position to you. I pull a pretty big wakeboard boat 6 months a year that weighs about 10k With 1k tongue weight. I had a tundra with about 11k towing but only 1500 pounds of payload so I was pretty much always at the limit and I could really feel it when trying to stop the boat while towing.

I ended up ordering a 3500 with the HO Cummins. I know that’s way overboard for my boat but I didn’t want to start to push payload on a 2500 cummins since they are significantly lower. I also live in Lake Tahoe and am towing over mountain passes quite often and wanted the stronger transmission for this. The cost between 2500 and 3500 isn’t all that much so I figured why not Get everything exactly as I want it with more than enough capability for my needs. Truck should be here in a few weeks and I can’t wait to tow with it the first time.

in your position you can’t really go wrong but another member summarized this decision well (sorry I can’t remember who it was). If you’re going to get a diesel get the 3500 and the HO Cummins. If you’re going gasser get the 2500

sounds familiar. My boat is a 20' Tahoe Q6. It's also 16 years old and the kids want a wakeboard boat. I was thinking something like a pontoon :). Either way, when I do get around to a new boat, it probably won't get smaller or lighter. :)

Pig Daddy

Reaction score
If your going gas , what's the price difference between a 1500 and a 2500?. The half ton will drive nicer ,ride better as an everyday driver.. my opinion, the 3500 ho would be overkill.. the 2500 would ride nicer then the 3500..if your planninig on getting a fith wheel go 3500 ..it. really depends on what you want and what you want to spend..

The price difference between a 1500 5.7Hemi eTorque and a 2500 is about $1000 with the being 2500 slightly more expensive.

I don't see a 5th wheel in in immediate future or "really heavy" loads over long distances. That is what has steered me away from the 3500

Pig Daddy

Reaction score
I traded my 2021 1500 silverado for a 2500 ram hemi. The brakes on the 1500 were not great for towing my 20 ft boat. Didnt feel sturdy as id like. The 2500 ram tows my car hauler with a 3500 lb car like a champ, stable, brakes are excellent. The heavier truck was just built to tow and you can drive with confidence. I didnt like the way the 1500 stressed me out towing. Bad braking distances, could feel the weight even on the boat. Seemed like it was wearing out parts etc. 2500 is safer to tow for myself and others with me and around me.

Thanks for bringing this up. I can definitely "feel" my boat back there on my Tahoe. Sounds very similar to what you are describing.

Pig Daddy

Reaction score
No one ever said , " I wish my truck could carry less"....2500 is a minimum, I've had the 1500 soccer mom trucks 3 times in the last 18 years, I think if I lived in a city they'd be fine.
Good luck with whatever you decide on, enjoy!

True statement LOL. My trailers are probably "small potatoes" compared to what many of you haul around but nothing irritates you more than having a job to do and realizing that the truck (and trailer) isn't quite enough for what you need it to do!

WYnott

Reaction score
Regarding the 3K in the bed. It doesn't happen often. But...I did have to pick up tile during a bathroom renovation. It was heavy tile (marble) and a lot of it. Of course, I only had my 5X10 utility trailer around so that's what got used. It limped on down the road... :). The people behind me were less than thrilled.

It's towing my boat and the towing capacity that probably occurs most often. With those trips, I could have the entire family of 4, light luggage, a cooler, a toolbox or two to take care of minor repairs etc. Fortunately, most of my towing is to the ramp and back so I don't have to cover a lot distance. I do cover some hills but these are hills in Georgia. -- It's far cry from the Rockies...
You're truck says that Hills are Hills, it don't matter what time zone they are in. Id go 2500.
For $1,000 difference? You'd be crazy not to
I went from the 2020 1500 Laramie to the 2022 2500 tradesman HD and my payment went down 58 dollars and my insurance went down a couple hundred a year.
I do miss some of the bells and whistles on the soccer mom truck but I'd do it again but wait for the 8 foot bed and get a second factory gas tank if they still do that.

Lary0071

Reaction score
For those smaller trailers and low weights I would order a 3.92 geared 5.7L Hemi 1/2 ton with the max tow package and never consider a 2500.

You'll get +5 MPG, way better ride/comfort, less cost, newer cab design... and more. Everything but the payload is better. I wish I could have a half ton, and that is honesty. I would order up a 2022 half ton in a config that pushed the tow rating into the 12K area, add air bags to the rear for that 1 time a year you need 3K lbs in the bed (I've never had 3K lbs or near that in a truck bed), and get the trim and options as you want... then sit back and wait.

My last 1500 Ram was a 2017, I had no trouble pulling a 10,600 lb track steer on a 3,200 lb trailer.

Attachments

• Ram 1500 Track Steer.jpg
    Ram 1500 Track Steer.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 25

tchur1

Reaction score
sounds familiar. My boat is a 20' Tahoe Q6. It's also 16 years old and the kids want a wakeboard boat. I was thinking something like a pontoon :). Either way, when I do get around to a new boat, it probably won't get smaller or lighter. :)
Ya I can promise you that. We have a 2020 XStar thats about 10k on the trailer and living at 6500 feet, towing over donner summit the diesel was a non negotiable for me, I also wanted to diesel for the EB, saves the brakes on the truck and helps control the load a lot better. If I were you Id either go 2500 Hemi or 3500 SO Cummins. Based on what you have described as your use case youre probably good to go with the 2500 Hemi.

Lary0071

Reaction score
Ya I can promise you that. We have a 2020 XStar thats about 10k on the trailer and living at 6500 feet, towing over donner summit the diesel was a non negotiable for me, I also wanted to diesel for the EB, saves the brakes on the truck and helps control the load a lot better. If I were you Id either go 2500 Hemi or 3500 SO Cummins. Based on what you have described as your use case youre probably good to go with the 2500 Hemi.

He said: "It will be a daily driver and used to haul toys around primarily. I have a 20ft boat and trailer, a 14 foot trailer, a 10 ft trailer, Polaris side by side, golf cart etc."

20' boat? Pish, light. Nothing to it.
14' trailer? Camper? That can (and often is) hauled by a little 6 cylinder unibody SUV. That's a joke for a half ton.
10' trailer with a ATV or golf cart? Lets go wild and say it's a 1,500 trailer and a 1,500 machine. My wife can tow that with her Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 3.2L.

Dude... come on! A Ford F-ing Ranger could handle his towing needs with ease! There is nothing at all that he is talking about that needs more than a well equipped half ton. Some of you guys are near nuts about trying to tell everyone with a gracery bag in hand that the need a HD truck.

For his use case it is a waste of money, a compromise in comfort, and a long term loss of money due to fuel economy... and you can for real expect gas and diesel to be nearing the $8 and $10 a gallon area in the near future.

WYnott

Reaction score
I'm not worried the Ranger can't tow a6000 pound boat
I doubt it can stop it or control it as well as a long wheel base 2500
For a grand difference? Get the real truck, live without the juice box holders and latte maker. Lol

Darkside

Reaction score
I have always had 3/4 ton trucks until my 1999 V-10 2500 needed replacement, I decided to lease a 2019 1500 Big Horn with the Hemi and 3.92 gearing… I figured the 11,310lb towing would handle everything I needed but didn’t want to commit to the purchase just in case it wouldn’t. My 14k flatbed trailer was useless to me just because of the tongue weight, then when it came to my rv… I have a 25 foot bumper pull that only has a 7,500lb gross, really made the truck squat and always felt like it was pulling the truck all over the road, didn’t feel comfortable or safe even though I was under the rating. I ended up getting a 2500 CCLB 6.4L gas Laramie with the 4.10 gears. It doesn’t matter what your max trailer weight is if the payload doesn’t allow it…. Sounds like any level of a 2500 gas would do everything you would need it to do SAFELY.

Users who are viewing this thread