Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

120v A/C in bed?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
It come with the 5th wheel prep package I think. My ‘22 Laramie short bed has it along with the trailer plug hookups on side of bed. No bed boxes
Not that i am aware of, it is a separate option for the 115V in the bed

kevin588127

Reaction score
I think it depends on the trim. On a BH, at least when I ordered, it was a stand alone option or it was available with the level c equipment group. The ram box option forced me into the level C, so I would assume all rambox trucks have it.

Herrred

Reaction score
My 2021 3500 Laramie CCSB has it, operates with a power button in the driver's side of the cab. No RamBox. I do have the 5er prep as well.

arx237

Reaction score
So what's the amperage rating on the plug? Is it reset or a fuse?
400 Watts max shared between all outlets interior and I believe another 400 watt inverter for exterior. Both should auto reset.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
400 Watts max shared between all outlets interior and I believe another 400 watt inverter for exterior. Both should auto reset.

I believe its one inverter for all the plugs but you can enable/disable the bed plug from the cab.

Redfour5

Reaction score
2021 H.O. SB 4x4 Big Horn. I ordered this one and had to include it in the order. I don't recall which option group included it though.
I have it in my Laramie 2500...crew/short box and I do believe it was part of one package or another. It is on the build sheet along with the 400 watt inverter and listed under "options" and not under regular equipment. It doesn't show on the monroney (window sticker) however.

arx237

Reaction score
I believe its one inverter for all the plugs but you can enable/disable the bed plug from the cab.
Yeah may be, not very clear when the manual seems to refer to each outlet as an "inverter".

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah may be, not very clear when the manual seems to refer to each outlet as an "inverter".
Yeah they should have use the term outlet.

There is also this note.

NOTE:
400 Watts is the maximum for the inverter, not
each outlet. If three outlets are in use, 400 Watts
is shared amongst the devices plugged in.

There is also only one 50A fuse labeled 400w inverter.

chas0218

Reaction score
So can someone upgrade the inverter to something a little bigger? I figure it's dependant on the wire gauge but is the inverter accessible?

meechr

Reaction score
Laramie Longhorn 2500 and I don't have a 120v plug in the bed. I'm surprised as I could have sworn I had seen them back there on the models I test drove. Am I wrong?
I have a 2021 big horn 2500 and got all of the options I do have a 120v plug in the bed but sadly it is only has a 400 watt inverter. Not even enough power to run a power drill.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have a 2021 big horn 2500 and got all of the options I do have a 120v plug in the bed but sadly it is only has a 400 watt inverter. Not even enough power to run a power drill.
Who has a plug in drill anymore? My milwaukee charger works on the outlet so that could be your solution lol, I scrapped all my corded drills except for my massive 1/2 low speed drill for honing cylinders

malibubts

Reaction score
So can someone upgrade the inverter to something a little bigger? I figure it's dependant on the wire gauge but is the inverter accessible?

A little bit of a round about way to do this, but you could get a 'solar generator' to plugin to the inverter. The 'generator' then will charge from the truck, have it's own battery, and most can power up to 1500W or so. I run my fridge/camper lights/heater from one of these, that's then plugged into the inverter so it charges back up when the truck is on.

Probably a bit overkill for an occasional use, but I'd imagine it's much easier and even a bit more useful than trying to upgrade the onboard one.

Akgiauque

Reaction score
I have one on my 2500 with Cummins and bed utility group. I did not get the 5th wheel prep.

ollicat

Reaction score
A little bit of a round about way to do this, but you could get a 'solar generator' to plugin to the inverter. The 'generator' then will charge from the truck, have it's own battery, and most can power up to 1500W or so. I run my fridge/camper lights/heater from one of these, that's then plugged into the inverter so it charges back up when the truck is on.

Probably a bit overkill for an occasional use, but I'd imagine it's much easier and even a bit more useful than trying to upgrade the onboard one.
Would that "solar generator " just be a battery backup? What else is involved? This has intrigued me.

malibubts

Reaction score
Would that "solar generator " just be a battery backup? What else is involved? This has intrigued me.
Yeah I mean they are pretty much just a battery and AC inverter with the ability to charge via solar/DC/etc. A lot are branded as "Solar Generators" a lot as "Portable Power Stations." But I mean just find one that will support the size load you want and throw it back there plugged in to charge. Obviously you'll have a limit on the charge rate by either the power station or the truck and the size of the battery so you won't be able to pull 1500W forever, but should be a decent solution. Plus depending on your use case you won't have the run the truck all the time for power, just use the battery for power and charge up as needed with the truck or other outlet. This is what I have in my truck, but some other brands to look at are Bluetti, Jackery, EcoFlow, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread