Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" screen goes black after 3-5 hours of continuous driving.

Dvredc5

Reaction score
3 times now on long trips over 2-3 hours I've had my 12" screen just go full black and not functional. The only was to have it function again seems to be shutting off the truck for at least 20-30 min. Frustrating to say the least and it's been looked at by the dealer 3 times while the truck was also in for other recalls. They say it seems fine and just did updating to see if it would fix it. Anyone else having this issue or do I have a real odd problem here? Appreciate the help.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
My 8.4 doesn’t do that; longest I’ve driven the truck was maybe 6 hours straight no issues.

Does your screen get too hot?

My phone screen will do some weird stuff when it gets hot usually dim out the backlight til I can’t see the screen (work outside and log jobs in a phone app so it happens occasionally)

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
I had it happen once when I was on an older software version, but I was able to rectify it by rebooting the screen - press and hold the power button until it starts rebooting. After I updated to 27.46 and factory reset it's never done it to me again.

Riddick

Reaction score
Do you operate your screen in dark mode (black background). If not, this could help it from getting hot and resetting..... assuming that's the issue. Next time it happens drive straight to the dealer and show them or try to take a video. Unless they are able to duplicate the issue they will not change anything.

Users who are viewing this thread