Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12.1" vs 8.4" Uconnect

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I've ordered my truck with the 12.1 as I thought I'd like the bigger screen, however I almost always use Android Auto and it splits screen in half displaying maps and other apps on the top part of the screen and some pretty much useless music controls, etc, on the bottom half. This split screen virtually gives me a 6" of useable area. This also goes for the back up camera view which only shows on the top half... I remember test driving a truck with an 8.4" screen before I ordered mine, I was liking that display very much, the rear view display was amazing!
I wish I ordered my truck with a 8.4" now and saved some $$, but it's a little too late now. This post is partially serves as an informative post for others to help chose the right screen.
Another reason is, I wanted to ask if there are any issues with 12.1" screen that 8.4" is free from? I keep reading on other forums where folks call the 12.1 an "infamous 12.1". Why is that?? I have no issues with mine, it updated wirelesly once, shortly after I picked my truck up from the dealer. Any issues I should be aware of and things "to do" and "not to do"?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
12" Uconnect doesn't support the Vehicle Health Reports function.

For the music App, you can double tap the cover art and make it full screen. The map overlay can be disabled/enabled there at will. I believe there's a few othere screens/apps that can toggle full screen/half screen as well.

Nothing you can do about the camera on top as it forces the lower to be climate and camera controls.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I had heard that the big 12 inch wasn't all that useful.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
True. Unless I use the stock Navigation, then it displays the maps on full screen.
I wish i went with an 8.4

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
FWIW, I've seen one 5" screen problem and a couple 8.4" problems on the Net, but the vast majority seem to be the 12.1" I've heard it can be laggy and glitches out a lot compared to the others. It makes me wonder if they didn't install a good enough processor or RAM to support its size and function.

Early touch screen head units in vehicles were notorious for this. In recent years they've kicked them in the rear with faster hardware but I wonder if this early 12.1 change has some bean-counter tech powering it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had a single problem with mine.

It is tapped out on CPU, the reason it doesn't support Vehicle Health as I understand it.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
a close friend has the sketch, and we road trip alot in each others truck. I, personally, like my 8.4 better. I just don't see much use for it. android auto has been fantastic, not a single problem.

@JC

Reaction score
Couldn't care less about the VHR, I just wish the Power Wagon had the Off-road Pages from the GC TrailHawk/Wrangler.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
No real issues at all with my 12" either...
The 12" only showing AA or CarPlay on half the screen is an issue with AA and CarPlay and nothing to do with the HU.
Stock NAV sucks worse than trying to fumble around with aTripTik...

cbelveal20

Reaction score
Does anyone have a complete list of parts/tools (with part #'s if possible) of what I will need to take my 2021 Ram 2500 Laramie diesel , non nav 8.4 screen, to 12in screen. From what I have researched, there seems to be a difference in part #'s for 12in screens for 1500 vs 2500 trucks. So far, I think I need a Security Gateway Module Bypass from Kaodtech, to bypass gateway behind instrument cluster, a OBDLink MX+ reader, a custom wiring harness (not sure where to get), a LVDS Cable (not sure where or what to get), a 12in center stack screen, radio module, and radio module mounting hardware. I am unsure of a lot of part numbers since it is a 2500 truck. Any help would be appreciated.

Chrisminx

Reaction score
Does anyone have a complete list of parts/tools (with part #'s if possible) of what I will need to take my 2021 Ram 2500 Laramie diesel , non nav 8.4 screen, to 12in screen. From what I have researched, there seems to be a difference in part #'s for 12in screens for 1500 vs 2500 trucks. So far, I think I need a Security Gateway Module Bypass from Kaodtech, to bypass gateway behind instrument cluster, a OBDLink MX+ reader, a custom wiring harness (not sure where to get), a LVDS Cable (not sure where or what to get), a 12in center stack screen, radio module, and radio module mounting hardware. I am unsure of a lot of part numbers since it is a 2500 truck. Any help would be appreciated.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Couldn't care less about the VHR, I just wish the Power Wagon had the Off-road Pages from the GC TrailHawk/Wrangler.

If you have the 12.1" and AlfaOBD you can update to the latest FW and get Off-Road Pages.

I just did my 3500. Alas, no pitch or roll gauges for me.

ZFORCE

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but since I already did the 12.1” upgrade, (thanks Jimmy07!) what is FW, and what is the latest version? I have Alfa, is FW embedded in Alfa? Also what are off road pages? I have a 2021 2500 diesel 4x4.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but since I already did the 12.1” upgrade, (thanks Jimmy07!) what is FW, and what is the latest version? I have Alfa, is FW embedded in Alfa? Also what are off road pages? I have a 2021 2500 diesel 4x4.

FW refers to the radio firmware and isn't an AlfaOBD thing.

ZFORCE

Reaction score
Thanks, looks like I have additional reading material!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
There are two flavors of the 8.4" screen. The non-nav which is an integrated unit and IMO sucks on higher trimmed trucks and the nav version which uses the same compute module/brain, whatever you want to call it as the 12.1". I had the 8.4" Non-Nav in my Laramie due to the RONA build parts changes instead of the Nav version so I upgraded to the 12.1 as I couldn't seem to find everything I needed to covert to 8.4 w/Nav nearly as easily. I also got screwed out connected services (sometimes feels like a win) and BSM (had the glass, but not the sensors in my LED tails).

IMO the 8.4 w/nav would be my preference as I do miss my physical buttons, however, the 8.4 w/o NAV was just a pile of junk for me. Wireless carplay had a lot of connection/gps issues (would think I was driving the truck backwards down the highway at 75mph for instance), it would lag really badly if I used the 360 cameras or alphaobd enabled forward camera more than occasionally, and being connected services deleted I couldn't get updates without the dealer (never been able to track down the files online). In our other truck which is a lonestar (big horn) with minimal options, basically a tradesman with an appearance package, it seemingly works fine as that truck has no bells and whistles for it to manage, control, display. It does, however, still get wireless carplay gremlins even after having it updated by the dealer more than once - so we only use wired carplay or normal bluetooth in that one.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There are two flavors of the 8.4" screen. The non-nav which is an integrated unit and IMO sucks on higher trimmed trucks and the nav version which uses the same compute module/brain, whatever you want to call it as the 12.1". I had the 8.4" Non-Nav in my Laramie due to the RONA build parts changes instead of the Nav version so I upgraded to the 12.1 as I couldn't seem to find everything I needed to covert to 8.4 w/Nav nearly as easily. I also got screwed out connected services (sometimes feels like a win) and BSM (had the glass, but not the sensors in my LED tails).

IMO the 8.4 w/nav would be my preference as I do miss my physical buttons, however, the 8.4 w/o NAV was just a pile of junk for me. Wireless carplay had a lot of connection/gps issues (would think I was driving the truck backwards down the highway at 75mph for instance), it would lag really badly if I used the 360 cameras or alphaobd enabled forward camera more than occasionally, and being connected services deleted I couldn't get updates without the dealer (never been able to track down the files online). In our other truck which is a lonestar (big horn) with minimal options, basically a tradesman with an appearance package, it seemingly works fine as that truck has no bells and whistles for it to manage, control, display. It does, however, still get wireless carplay gremlins even after having it updated by the dealer more than once - so we only use wired carplay or normal bluetooth in that one.

Opposite of my experience. The 12” in my dad’s ‘22 Laramie is much glitchier and laggier than my 8.4 w/out Nav. Options are basically the same between the two trucks other than his 12” and safety group.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Opposite of my experience. The 12” in my dad’s ‘22 Laramie is much glitchier and laggier than my 8.4 w/out Nav. Options are basically the same between the two trucks other than his 12” and safety group.
I wonder if I just got a dud. Never made enough fuss to have the dealer replace it and just went straight to the 12.1 upgrade. Since I've had it on some of the newer '23+ FW versions it's been solid for me.

Users who are viewing this thread