Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘19 - 3500 Limited Crew Cab, 4x4, SRW w/6'4" box

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
7A1BC3C1-3D86-43BF-B6B5-E5676512F985.jpegE2AA1746-1EA5-4787-A951-FB5297D95E3C.jpeg3DAFCDA6-93DC-4407-AB0B-8F1BA6B0D5AD.jpegCA4FFD0D-B22A-4743-AA2B-64057BDA6C42.jpeg
6.7L I6 Cummins HO Turbo Diesel with 3.73 axle

Options:
  • Protection Group
  • Towing Technology Group
  • Limited Level 1 Equipment Group
  • Dual Alternators Rated @ 440 Amps
  • Auto Level Rear Air Suspension
  • Power Sunroof
  • Deployable Bed Step
  • 5.5 Additional Gallons of Diesel

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score

Nightrain

Reaction score

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
That’s putting the first 5.5 gallons of gas to drive it off factory etc.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Was she worth the wait?! I'm glad to see it finally arrived!

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Was she worth the wait?! I'm glad to see it finally arrived!
Yes she was! Thx for asking.

Our backs were a little sore after the 1,800 mile drive home, as some of nation’s roads leave much to be desired; i.e. Michigan and the Chicagoland area. But, we like it very much and are looking forward to our first camping trip this weekend.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
Need to get to 500 before 7/8 that’s when I load up 5th wheel.
And, remember, when you put that 5th wheel on for the first time, be sure to keep the speed at 50 mph or less for the first 500 miles of towing.

I've already got over 2,000 miles on mine in a week and a half. Will be attaching a load for the first time tomorrow morning (pick up a new Grand Design travel trailer) and am glad I'll be on a 4-lane interstate for most of 500-mile towing break-in so that I don't hold anyone up behind me and my 38-footer.

The HOFF

Don't Hassel me
Reaction score
And, remember, when you put that 5th wheel on for the first time, be sure to keep the speed at 50 mph or less for the first 500 miles of towing.

I've already got over 2,000 miles on mine in a week and a half. Will be attaching a load for the first time tomorrow morning (pick up a new Grand Design travel trailer) and am glad I'll be on a 4-lane interstate for most of 500-mile towing break-in so that I don't hold anyone up behind me and my 38-footer.
50 MPH. That’s crazy!! I need to put some miles on it quick.

D

Deleted member 80

I know what the boilerplate in the book says, but did you ever see a commercial truck just putt-putting around for break in? If you've got a need for the truck, just hook it and book it.

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
I know what the boilerplate in the book says, but did you ever see a commercial truck just putt-putting around for break in?
I understand. But, when one keeps their vehicles for as long as we do, 500 miles is nothing in time considering our total mileage someday will probably approach 400K miles.

jpaeth

Reaction score
The manual actually says there is no break in needed for the Cummins. It just says don't lug the engine. These things are made to hook up and go. It says the wear in period will take longer if you pull light or drive empty. It is beneficial to pull heavy and often.

texas.yankee

Reaction score
The manual actually says there is no break in needed for the Cummins. It just says don't lug the engine. These things are made to hook up and go. It says the wear in period will take longer if you pull light or drive empty. It is beneficial to pull heavy and often.

One says yes, damage can occur if you don't. Can't remember which...

jpaeth

Reaction score
One says yes, damage can occur if you don't. Can't remember which...
One what? A manual referencing the 6.7 Cummins that says you can damage the engine if you don't break it in unloaded? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying

texas.yankee

Reaction score
One what? A manual referencing the 6.7 Cummins that says you can damage the engine if you don't break it in unloaded? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying

I know I read somewhere in one of the books or digital guides there was a break in period for the truck. Actually think it mentioned axle damage. I can't recall specifically which one. I'll search for it when I get a chance

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, the 500 mile no towing and then 500 miles under 50 mph is to mesh the gears of the drivetrain...mostly the rear axle.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur. For the recommended viscosity and quality grades, refer to “Fluids And Lubricants” in “Technical Specifications”.Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven. The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle. This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

Users who are viewing this thread