Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto-Folding mirrors?

Vroooom

Reaction score
I had a 2015 Grand Cherokee that had a nifty option in the Owner configurable uconnect settings. You could select yes/no to AUTO-fold the exterior mirrors. Essentially, as soon as you shifted into park, the mirrors would automatically fold in. Conversely, when you shifted out of park...the mirrors would automatically deploy. I thought that was pretty snazzy, but didnt really think it was all that useful since Grand Cherokee's dont take up much space, mirrors being folded or not is not very meaningful.

When I got my 2017 2500 Laramie, I searched and searched...No auto-folding mirror setting. This was surprising since I found that I was always having to manually fold the mirrors pretty much every time I got out of the truck. "Horns-up!" takes up a lot of space, and folding them back makes it less likely to get trimmed off by cars flying past my house.

Similarly, in my 2019 1500 Laramie....still no auto-folding mirrors. Disappointing.

I am hoping that the 2021 2500 Laramie that I have on order will have added that small programming feature.

Has anyone heard if they will be making our trucks as user-friendly as a 5 year old Grand Cherokee?

THX all.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Hmmm....Grand Cherokee didn’t get the auto folding mirrors until 2017 (US market, anyway), and they only auto fold/unfold with the door locks when the vehicle is off and either the fob or proximity handle is used to lock/unlock the doors, not by shifting in and out of park. Either way, Ram has never offered this feature, and there’s no indication that they will. Heck, they won’t even do something as simple as having the tow mirrors be able to power flip up to the tow position, and retain a mirror position memory for towing and non towing position. That, to me, would be more useful than auto fold.

Vroooom

Reaction score
Hmmm....Grand Cherokee didn’t get the auto folding mirrors until 2017 (US market, anyway), and they only auto fold/unfold with the door locks when the vehicle is off and either the fob or proximity handle is used to lock/unlock the doors, not by shifting in and out of park. Either way, Ram has never offered this feature, and there’s no indication that they will. Heck, they won’t even do something as simple as having the tow mirrors be able to power flip up to the tow position, and retain a mirror position memory for towing and non towing position. That, to me, would be more useful than auto fold.
I could very easily be that I am misremembering my Summit (has been known to happen). I really liked my G.C. but it was too small to do anything but haul people, and I dont have much use for that. I recall commenting to a number of my friends (who also recall) that I thought it was unnecessarily snobby to go to the trouble of making an auto-fold mirror feature on a vehicle that was too small to take up much of a parking SPACE. Then, lamenting the loss of a feature when I moved to a vehicle that did a pretty good job of filling up a parking LOT. hahahaha se lavi Just would be nice to save myself the repetitive-motion injury of having to manually push that button. I might develop a callous on my finger tip and that could have all sorts of repercussions.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Last edited:

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
I don't want power auto-fold as I must fold them before entering my garage and NOT un-fold them until after departing the garage. If I don't, the right side mirror will hit the door frame.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Auto fold/unfold could be bad on our trucks. As the above poster said, with mirrors this wide the issue is frequently needing them out of the way to fit into a parking area. If they unfolded on their own they could hit something.

On most other vehicles if you were parked somewhere so tight that the mirrors had to be folded to fit you probably wouldn’t be able to get out of the door.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I would like them to fold when I manually lock with the key fob. I am ok with just pushing the button to unfold them.

Vroooom

Reaction score
Thus the phrase "...Owner configurable uconnect settings. You could select yes/no to AUTO-fold the exterior mirrors."

"auto-fold" isnt best for all.

"Manual fold isnt best for all.

The ability to choose....is....best for all.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread