Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer hookup with airbag suspension

Jersimon

Reaction score
Getting ready for our first trailer towing with our new ‘24 2500 with factory airbags. I’ve been doing some research, but wanted to run it by the experts here. I use a blue ox sway pro wdh if that matters. With the exception of disabling/enabling the airbags, it’s the same process I used with our 1500 without airbags.

From researching, I think the steps are:
1. Disable airbag by going into tire jack mode.
2. Couple trailer to hitch
3. Raise trailer hitch with trailer jack
4. Connect sway bars to appropriate tension
5. Lower trailer hitch all the way
6. Enable airbags by ending tire jack mode, or drive off (the airbag tire jack mode is disabled above 5mph)

Does that make sense?
Thanks

Much2fast

Reaction score
I have a 2021 2500 with factory airbags, to be honest I have never disabled them during hookup. I basically do the same procedure as you without the disable and the enable steps, so far knock on wood haven't noticed any issues after 27k miles. But if anyone has a reason I should disable/enable I am not totally against it.

jebruns

Reaction score
I have a 2021 2500 with factory airbags, to be honest I have never disabled them during hookup. I basically do the same procedure as you without the disable and the enable steps, so far knock on wood haven't noticed any issues after 27k miles. But if anyone has a reason I should disable/enable I am not totally against it.
Same, on both of the 2500's I've owned with factory air. The only time I've messed with the air suspension while hooking up was a weird angle we had going on at a campground in Colorado. Otherwise, I just let the suspension do what it does.

ammdrew

Reaction score
I will third that. I never disable when hooking up. I do sometimes put in alt tow mode so it is an inch lower to hook.

reese917

Reaction score
In my opinion, the process of disabling the air bags would only be necessary the first time using a new hitch or trailer to set the weight distribution correctly. Once the hitch is set and you know the tension/height is right, I wouldn't think you need to disable everytime hooking up.

CortexM0

Reaction score
I never intentionally disable the airbags. However, when I jack the front of the trailer up to connect the weight distribution bars, the truck will (often but not always) recognize its back end is being lifted and automatically put the truck in tire jack mode.

Users who are viewing this thread