Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'2023 6.4L Power Increase?

arx237

Reaction score
I am not an engine nerd but was under the impression 89 will allow the engine to reach full rated tq/hp under wot without knock. If you dont really spend time in that range then there is no appreciable benefit from running higher octane. It certainly does not burn hotter or clean the engine.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Premium doesn’t burn any “hotter” than regular. Octane is only resistance to pre-ignition.

The most logical reason for the change, without a change in power, is that the engine was already designed to run on regular for this generation but they typoed and put 89 in the initial manuals.
Well I just got schooled, your right about the resistance and higher octane is used for higher compression engines. But there is two opinions I've found on the internet about running hotter, some say it does and some not. Most believe you should run the octane the manufacture suggests, but again two different opinions about running premium intermittently to help in cleaning.
I think I'll continue to do what I've done for 30 years, because I believe it works, it may or it may not, kinda like my X brand of oil is the best oil you can use.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Idk I have a 21
Oh, ok. You had responded that there was an answer in all of the manuals. I was attempting to determine (as the OP) whether the '23 Hemi was upped in the recommendation.
I thought you may have had the answer for my buddy looking to buy, but doesn't want to be required or even recommended to run 93.

troverman

Reaction score
I use my 2022 for towing heavy loads, right up to the max tow rating of 14,700lbs with the Hemi. It sees a lot of wide open throttle, as I live in hilly country. I run nothing but regular, and the engine is putting out its power just fine and without knock. There are some engines that will run fine on regular but not give you full rated power except on premium, and those engines have to advertise that fact (Ford Raptor, for example).

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Go on YouTube and watch engine masters. They have an episode on running different octane and what it does, or doesn't do.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
I am not an engine nerd but was under the impression 89 will allow the engine to reach full rated tq/hp under wot without knock. If you dont really spend time in that range then there is no appreciable benefit from running higher octane. It certainly does not burn hotter or clean the engine.
Some engines can take advantage of the higher octane even if it's not required for that engine. As mentioned octane number is only resistance to pre-ignition. Pre-ignition means knocking and if it happens the knock sensor will retard the timing to get rid of knocking. Higher octane will too get rid of knocking therefore advancing the ignition timing which will lead to a slight boost in power output and better mileage.
I have confirmed this endless times with my wife's Infiniti, the manual says min required is 87 and recommended premium. With premium (91) the SUV drives quite different and we get much better fuel mileage per tank of Premium vs Regular.
I haven't tried to calculate whether there's any saving running Reg vs Prem, can go farther on a tank of Premium but it's more expensive so I think it's about a wash in $$/mile

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Well I just got schooled, your right about the resistance and higher octane is used for higher compression engines. But there is two opinions I've found on the internet about running hotter, some say it does and some not. Most believe you should run the octane the manufacture suggests, but again two different opinions about running premium intermittently to help in cleaning.
I think I'll continue to do what I've done for 30 years, because I believe it works, it may or it may not, kinda like my X brand of oil is the best oil you can use.
I know it's hard to change one's beliefs but premium doesn't burn any cleaner or hotter, if anything it burns slower. Marketing has done a really good job drilling this BS into our heads. At the end of the day, you do what makes you feel better just know you're wasting your money

flan

Reaction score
87/89/93 are the 3 common blends around here. They used to be $0.10 price difference between the 3. Since gas went nuts after the ‘rona the 87 is reasonable but there’s at least a $1 or more cost increase for the upper octanes. Almost the cost difference between 87 and #2 diesel.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
from the 2023 manual

I’m willing to bet the change from 89 to 87 was 100% driven by marketing, and no software changes were implemented.

Several other threads on the topic of 87 and 89, and the data points to some folks getting slightly better economy on 89 but the CPM is still the best with 87.

wyvern

Reaction score
I’m willing to bet the change from 89 to 87 was 100% driven by marketing, and no software changes were implemented.

Several other threads on the topic of 87 and 89, and the data points to some folks getting slightly better economy on 89 but the CPM is still the best with 87.
What’s bizarre is that different year manuals seem to disagree.

I long trip my 6.4L frequently and would ideally like to get the best range to a tank.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
What’s bizarre is that different year manuals seem to disagree.

I long trip my 6.4L frequently and would ideally like to get the best range to a tank.

I don’t think it’s bizarre at all, that’s why I think it’s marketing. Ram likely realized having the base engine recommend 89 was hurting sales. The engine was already capable of running 87 all the time, so they just changed the manual to reduce the cost of ownership.

You may get better range on 89, but likely not enough to be appreciable.

The 2020-2022 online manuals also shows 87 as the required octane. The 2019 manual is the most recent one I can find with 89 listed, and even then it’s just recommended over 87.

wyvern

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s bizarre at all, that’s why I think it’s marketing. Ram likely realized having the base engine recommend 89 was hurting sales. The engine was already capable of running 87 all the time, so they just changed the manual to reduce the cost of ownership.

You may get better range on 89, but likely not enough to be appreciable.

The 2022 manual also shows 87 as the required octane.
I think there’s credence to your theory, however, the bizarre part is that manuals as far back as 2016 recommend 89, but it seems like around 2019 some did and some did not.

Eventually after 2021 they all recommended solely 87.

I have also seen users of other forums claim the manuals that recommended 89 are now redacted and recommend 87 in the online format.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have also seen users of other forums claim the manuals that recommended 89 are now redacted and recommend 87 in the online format.

Which points to a marketing change and not an engine change.

Users who are viewing this thread