Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dual Alternators

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed the 19+ dual alternator Alpha obd settings? I did the install a while back, but just now got around to activate it. Been searching for the last hour, and not coming up with much other than the one setting(powertrain control dual alt present-yes/no), and that appears to not be the only setting that needs to be changed. Seems to be mixed to little info about the addition. Possibly the example did not have enough load for the computer to turn on the second? I must say I dont know how the computer schedules the alternators on in a dual situation.

Thought I would check before I start changing settings.

Last edited:

engweld22

Reaction score
Following this post as i would like to do the same thing. Any update to the parts quest?

sasquatchHO

Reaction score
I’m new to this site. I have a 2024 3500 srw and will upgrade to a dual alternator but would like to know the color of the wires leading into the existing connector and the number of pins in the connector. So color of wires for existing connector and the number of pins/posts to connect the existing wire to the second alternato? Thanks for your help.

Can anyone tell me if this is the connector for the second alternator? I don’t find any other pigtails hanging around the area of the second alternator position and this pigtail is just long enough to make that connection. I’ve read that the two 220 amp alternators are of the right side and left side orientations. I’ve removed the connector on the passenger side alternator and the connector is a two pin connector. I don’t want to buy the wrong alternator for this dual alternator project. Your thoughts, help and pictures are appreciate. Thank you.

1122DDEA-E511-4B24-A1F5-F8E249CCCF17.jpeg

I should include this is on an 2024, 3500 limited SRW, 6.7. I’m disabled but I crawled around the engine bay second alternator position and this is the only connector that I’ve found. Thank you to those with the experience in adding a second alternator with knowledgeable input.

I’ve been told that you will have to add sales code (XF7), or you will need to do it with AlfaOBD or JScan. I hope this helps. I’m trying to add the second alternator to an 2024, 3500, 6.7 HO and the connector pictured below is the only connector I can find in the engine bay near the second alternator position. What I don’t know is that is this the connector to the second alternator? I understand the 220 amp alternators are different from drivers side and passenger side.

Last edited by a moderator:

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve been told that you will have to add sales code (XF7), or you will need to do it with AlfaOBD or JScan. I hope this helps. I’m trying to add the second alternator to an 2024, 3500, 6.7 HO and the connector pictured below is the only connector I can find in the engine bay near the second alternator position. What I don’t know is that is this the connector to the second alternator? I understand the 220 amp alternators are different from drivers side and passenger side.

I haven’t seen and 19+ without the 2nd alternator, but on my 18 the plug for the 2nd alternator was forward of the intake horn.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I can’t look at my truck truck right now, but I believe the alternator is a smaller 2 wire plug. That plug looks like the 3 wire ECM plug.

flatfish

Reaction score
The service manuals have done that for years, but when you read the description they describe an alternator not a generator.

A generator would generate the DC voltage, not the rectified AC voltage that the alternators create.
I wrote service manuals for Ford in the early 90's . There was a effort by SAE to commonize naming conventions in manufacture service manuals and part lists. GM championed the naming conventions back then and the other OEM's agreed to it. I specifically remember the alternator vs. generator change in the manual copy. I think it was called SAE J1930 at the time.

experimentalak

Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed the 19+ dual alternator Alpha obd settings? I did the install a while back, but just now got around to activate it. Been searching for the last hour, and not coming up with much other than the one setting(powertrain control dual alt present-yes/no), and that appears to not be the only setting that needs to be changed. Seems to be mixed to little info about the addition. Possibly the example did not have enough load for the computer to turn on the second? I must say I dont know how the computer schedules the alternators on in a dual situation.

Thought I would check before I start changing settings.
Just started looking into the Dual Alternator situation. I have not found any post, forum, or site that lists any option outside of Dealer Programming (ie AlphaOBD). I was wondering if you have had any luck with AlphaOBD and finding out what settings need to be changed. Mopar has a "Dual Alternator Disable" instruction sheet to disable the dual alternator mode. So, makes me wonder if imbedded in AlphaOBD is a "misc functions" tab too 1711556056898.png

Kubotafreak

Reaction score
Just started looking into the Dual Alternator situation. I have not found any post, forum, or site that lists any option outside of Dealer Programming (ie AlphaOBD). I was wondering if you have had any luck with AlphaOBD and finding out what settings need to be changed. Mopar has a "Dual Alternator Disable" instruction sheet to disable the dual alternator mode. So, makes me wonder if imbedded in AlphaOBD is a "misc functions" tab too View attachment 71013
I just changed the one powertrain setting to enable. I unplugged the primary alternator, and the secondary kicked in and maintained the charge. I assumed it worked… ill know more this winter, or when I add more load to the system, but from what I can tell it has plenty of potential now.

2022Ram67

Reaction score
I’m new to this site. I have a 2024 3500 srw and will upgrade to a dual alternator but would like to know the color of the wires leading into the existing connector and the number of pins in the connector. So color of wires for existing connector and the number of pins/posts to connect the existing wire to the second alternato? Thanks for your help.

Can anyone tell me if this is the connector for the second alternator? I don’t find any other pigtails hanging around the area of the second alternator position and this pigtail is just long enough to make that connection. I’ve read that the two 220 amp alternators are of the right side and left side orientations. I’ve removed the connector on the passenger side alternator and the connector is a two pin connector. I don’t want to buy the wrong alternator for this dual alternator project. Your thoughts, help and pictures are appreciate. Thank you.

View attachment 70998

I should include this is on an 2024, 3500 limited SRW, 6.7. I’m disabled but I crawled around the engine bay second alternator position and this is the only connector that I’ve found. Thank you to those with the experience in adding a second alternator with knowledgeable input.

I just found my second plug for second alternator. It’s about 6 inches below that one you found. It’sLee of a square plug and it’s 2 wires only. It’s electrically taped to a line. I just ordered a bracket for alternator, new positive 1 foot long oem cable that goes from second alternator to battery, longer belt. I’m just missing bots. I read somewhere you need to take it to dealer to program computer to use second 220amp alternator. I can add pictures of all oem parts I found and have if people are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread