Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do Ram headlights compare? Halogen vs reflector LED vs projector LED

44Dan44

Reaction score
Meet up at my house! Let's do science. I'll supply a 23 Tradesman with halogens. Need a Laramie, and a Limited. Alpharex and Morimoto are welcome to stop by as well. ;)
Side by side by side by side by side comparison photos.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
BBC
Why not consider something aftermarket that looks similar?
for a number of reasons.. OEM, i believe, is held to a higher standard than an overseas aftermarket headlight.. Morimoto & Alpha Rex are both sold under different brand names across the board.. OEM LEDs bulbs are replaceable.. MM and AR are not.. you have to change the entire light.. build quality and light quality is the long and the short answer (in my opinion)5895D0C0-DE4B-47DB-A3A6-05C56BD841AC.jpeg

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
BBC

for a number of reasons.. OEM, i believe, is held to a higher standard than an overseas aftermarket headlight.. Morimoto & Alpha Rex are both sold under different brand names across the board.. OEM LEDs bulbs are replaceable.. MM and AR are not.. you have to change the entire light.. build quality and light quality is the long and the short answer (in my opinion)View attachment 62238
Actually, OEM LEDs are not replaceable bulbs. They are on circuit boards inside the headlamp housing. No OEM LED headlight or taillight will ever use replaceable bulbs.

hookedup2407

Reaction score
Actually, OEM LEDs are not replaceable bulbs. They are on circuit boards inside the headlamp housing. No OEM LED headlight or taillight will ever use replaceable bulbs.
Ohh.. It looked like the bulbs were removable on the back of the housing.. i misspoke.. my bad

superjoe83

Reaction score
Ohh.. It looked like the bulbs were removable on the back of the housing.. i misspoke.. my bad
The Laramie headlights do have replaceable turn signals since they are incandescent, but the low/high beam emitters are not serviceable.
The limited/ longhorn headlights are full LED and are not serviceable at all

hookedup2407

Reaction score
The Laramie headlights do have replaceable turn signals since they are incandescent, but the low/high beam emitters are not serviceable.
The limited/ longhorn headlights are full LED and are not serviceable at all
Must of been what i saw when installing

abishoff

Reaction score
Clarification:
For the OEM LED Reflector headlights, you need to EITHER use retroshop type harnesses OR use AlfaOBD to properly configure the BCM. If you just buy the headlights, and swap them right in without resistor harnesses or programming, they won’t work.
If I have factory Laramie LED headlights do I still need a special harness to use the led projector headlights?

abishoff

Reaction score
I’m needing to get a replacement passenger headlight assembly and was wondering, in your opinion should I go with factory Limited LED Projector Headlights or aftermarket?

Finn5033

Reaction score
Yeah if you are looking to upgrade my choice would be OEM. I bought the alpharex luxx headlights for my truck. There is nothing wrong with them and they are a big improvement over the stock halogens of course. I went with them because I thought I needed to buy the OEM reflector lights and the adapter wiring from retro shop which put me over $1,500. Which was almost $500 more then the alpharex which are plug and play. Well now I know that I could have bought the OEM reflector lights and used Alfa obd to activate them and it would have only been a couple hundred dollar difference.

Last edited:

abishoff

Reaction score
Can you provide some links or guidance on what harnesses and steps are needed? I have the Laramie LED setup and since I have to replace the passenger side due to an accident I’d like to upgrade both sets.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Can you provide some links or guidance on what harnesses and steps are needed? I have the Laramie LED setup and since I have to replace the passenger side due to an accident I’d like to upgrade both sets.

MarkCO1

Reaction score
I've seen several folks just get the Auxito direct replacements for the Halogens. They have their own circuit boards internal and are plug and play from what I can see from many who have swapped them out.

Has anyone actually tried the Auxito? I used them in my 2011 and was happy with them.

abishoff

Reaction score

what is the cost for the harness to go from Laramie LED to limited adaptive HID LED lights? I already have the OBD MX+ so I just need to buy alpha OBD and the harness from you if I understand this correctly?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
what is the cost for the harness to go from Laramie LED to limited adaptive HID LED lights? I already have the OBD MX+ so I just need to buy alpha OBD and the harness from you if I understand this correctly?
Sending you a PM

SwampCat

Reaction score
All of my previous vehicles since 2015 have had LED lights. This is my first Halogens since my teenage beater. I don’t think they’re bad, if anything I have to get used to the yellow hue vs blue but that’s it.

Users who are viewing this thread