Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrible towing experience w/ '24 2500 w/ factory air suspension

havokeachday

Reaction score
I recently traded a '21 ram 2500 w/ aftermarket airlift suspension for a '24 2500 longhorn limited w/ 5th wheel prep and air suspension hoping that the air suspension would give a good towing experience. I immediately found out that it is the most terrible thing ever. In fact, it is only marginally better than my '10 that has 6" of deadzone in the steering and a 6" lift.

I tow an aluminum 28'ft cargo trailer that is 4k empty and has a payload of 10k. I usually have only 20 gallons of fuel, 5 dirt bikes at most, 30 gallons of water and miscellaneous tools - my payload is under 3k lbs. My '21 towed this like a dream. No issues with wind, no issues getting sucked in by a semi when passing or getting passed. In fact, it was nearly as stable as a dually. I ran it when towing with 25-35 PSI of air in the airlift 5k bags.
My '24 is sketchy to the point that I wouldn't let an inexperienced driver even attempt a highway tow with my trailer, however my 21 I would have let anyone try. I've not changed anything on the trailer. I used my '21 to haul my bikes and gear 1200 miles, and used the '24 to tow everything back. The '21 even w/ minimum air pressure in the aftermarket air system was way better.

Specifically, the problems are:

1. Get's blown around by wind.
2. Get's sucked towards semi's and other large vehicles when passing or getting passed.
3. Have to apply a second correction as it wants to sway back and forth.

The differences between the 21 and 24, spec wise are:

1. 21 has aftermarket (airlift) air suspension
2. 21 was megacab rambox
3. 24 has all what I think are all the towing options - trailer backup, air suspension, trailer camera package, 5th wheel prep.

I am flabbergasted at just how bad my 24 tows the same exact load that my 21 did flawlessly and even my 10 did a better job. I load the trailer the same way every time.

Thanks!

havokeachday

Reaction score
To be honest that sounds like insufficient tongue weight, not a truck suspension issue.
That's what it feels like and I would suspect that to be the case if my '21 didn't tow the same trailer, same contents, same loading configuration.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what it feels like and I would suspect that to be the case if my '21 didn't tow the same trailer, same contents, same loading configuration.

I would still look at the trailer and your TW %age.

There was a thread not that long ago that was very similar, same trailer with a new truck and poor handling. It was the trailer.

Dave01

Reaction score
I totally agree. For instance, the idea that it would get sucked toward semi's more than a very similar 2500 can't be the truck, pretty much has to be the trailer. And by trailer I mean the truck/trailer combination in every respect. Sounds like you've got a gross trailer weight of around 7,000 lbs., what is your tongue weight?

Have you towed at both standard hitch height and 1" lower hitch height using the dash switch for lowering? Also worth a try.

RPS1030

Reaction score
Whatever the electric steering is on the new one?

ammdrew

Reaction score
So the air ride truck auto levels. I will assume that you are towing in alt trailer mode on the air ride truck.
If you are using the same ht hitch as you had on the last truck a good chance your tongue is not at the same ht. This will also effect how the trailer can push and pull the truck around. While you had airbags that you controlled on the last truck the current truck adjust to a ht not a pressure and that will have a different effect of bumper ht when loaded. Also a good note the air bags are inboard just like springs on your 21, the 21 would of had the bags go on where the bump stops are which is further out on the axle. If you look under the suspension threads there is a post of adding air bags to your air suspension.

To get a similar effect I tried Sumos on the rear but they are too stiff and do not allow the suspension to work properly and create errors. But sumos on the front feel fantastic over bumps, have not had them out with the trailers yet but just normal driving. They are now on my must add item for the next one.

I have 10k behind mine often and it tows perfect and super stable, my guess you probably just need to work the hitch height and weight distribution and you will be happy.

Enve46

Reaction score
I have no knowledge on towing but wouldn’t a long we wheelbase provide stability?

havokeachday

Reaction score
So the air ride truck auto levels. I will assume that you are towing in alt trailer mode on the air ride truck.
If you are using the same ht hitch as you had on the last truck a good chance your tongue is not at the same ht. This will also effect how the trailer can push and pull the truck around. While you had airbags that you controlled on the last truck the current truck adjust to a ht not a pressure and that will have a different effect of bumper ht when loaded.

I towed the trailer in both alt height and normal height. I didn't get a noticeable difference with either one.

Also a good note the air bags are inboard just like springs on your 21, the 21 would of had the bags go on where the bump stops are which is further out on the axle. If you look under the suspension threads there is a post of adding air bags to your air suspension.

To clarify, you're saying that it is possible to add aftermarket air bags to my air suspension?

To get a similar effect I tried Sumos on the rear but they are too stiff and do not allow the suspension to work properly and create errors. But sumos on the front feel fantastic over bumps, have not had them out with the trailers yet but just normal driving. They are now on my must add item for the next one.

I'll look into these for sure.

I have 10k behind mine often and it tows perfect and super stable, my guess you probably just need to work the hitch height and weight distribution and you will be happy.

I think you've hit the issue in that it has to do with hitch height. My 24 is about 2" lower stock than my 21 was, I believe the 21 must have had the offroad package. I have an adjustable height hitch that I moved up

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
To clarify, you're saying that it is possible to add aftermarket air bags to my air suspension?

It is possible, but you likely don’t need to. It will add some stability for higher CG loads thou.

I think you've hit the issue in that it has to do with hitch height. My 24 is about 2" lower stock than my 21 was, I believe the 21 must have had the offroad package. I have an adjustable height hitch that I moved up

The steel spring suspensions sit quite a bit higher, and depending on how much air you ran in the airbags the steel springs may not have carried much weight and sagged. The auto-level trucks all ride lower.

I’d set your hitch height for alt ride height.

jenninr

Reaction score
Don't set the hitch height based on the difference in height between the two trucks. The 21 would squat and the 24 won't except for 1 inch if you use alternate height. Hook up the trailer, set the truck to alt height, and take some measurements and set the hitch so that the trailer is level to 1 inch low in the front.

Ol'Blue

Reaction score
I also remember reading on here about a situation where the sensors for the air suspension needing adjustment. If I remember correctly, the truck leaned under load and a few other member discussed having to adjust theirs. This might apply here and be causing the height of the hitch to not be correct.

Here's the thread that mentions making the adjustments to correct the height:

Last edited:

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I have a 22 crewcab laramie, shortbed, cummins 4x4, 3.73 gears, and factory air rear suspension. I tow a 35ft 5th wheel, towed it through the Blue ridge parkway. After hitched up, the truck did an auto level and the truck was back at stock height. The truck towed amazing. Yes, everyone talks about the power, but I could not believe how stable it was. I never drove faster than 65 mph. But I could tow with one hand on the wheel and totally relaxed in my seat. I never felt that way before. Passing trucks had no affect on my truck or trailer. Believe me, they were going faster than 65 mph. I used to tow horse trailers out west through the mountains of Idaho and I used 3/4 ton and one ton trucks with GM 454 and dodge big blocks with 4.10 gears. Those trips required 1000 percent of my attention. Granted, that was in the 80s and early 90s. So technology has improved a little. Good luck with your set up.

Users who are viewing this thread