Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Experience with 2500 and factory air ride

Jsboening

Reaction score
I’ve seen 1700lbs on mine while loading my backhoe tractor on my trailer. That’s if my weightsafe scale is correct. Truck leveled it without any problems. I adjusted it back on the trailer before I hit the road for the safety police here.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding really dumb...

If you have a 2500 with factory air and one or both of the airbags gives out, how screwed are you on the road (especially towing)? Is there any kind of mechanical support inside the bag, or does it just flop down onto the frame? Similar to when you use bed-lowering and it lowers it to the frame?

How reliable would you say this system and these bags are? I have 24k on it and no problems yet.

Thanks

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Can’t tow sorry on 2500s

I haven’t seen a lot of negative posts about the system. It’s really cool to be able to adjust on the fly. I didn’t order it since the initial cost IMO is too high and post warranty down the road, replacements will be extremely expensive if it’s the bags or the pump. I’d rather just deal with a generic system for longevity and cost.

Last edited:

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
I’m sure you can still tow the springs are the same as non air ride models

I haven’t seen a lot of negative posts about the system. It’s really cool to be able to adjust on the fly. I didn’t order it since the initial cost IMO is too high and post warranty down the road, replacements will be extremely expensive if it’s the bags or the pump. I’d rather just deal with a generic system for longevity and cost.
The way some are talking here it makes me think there isn't even a metal spring inside the air bag and it's just air. (yep, this is how little I know about this):D

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
The way some are talking here it makes me think there isn't even a metal spring inside the air bag and it's just air. (yep, this is how little I know about this):D
Looks like a standard rubber air bag and a pump system. Will only cost you $3,000 to replace all 3 plus the initial $1800 upfront option. I think you can get the stainless hose version with pump from the aftermarket outfits for $1,000. Or half without pump. And dodge will discontinue these in 12 years anyway, lol

Attachments

• IMG_0173.png
    IMG_0173.png
    527.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0174.png
    IMG_0174.png
    356 KB · Views: 4

Pearce

Reaction score
On a 2500 there is no backup support. You will be riding on the bump stops. 3500 still have a leaf spring. 2500 air ride is just the airbag, no coil spring.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
On a 2500 there is no backup support. You will be riding on the bump stops. 3500 still have a leaf spring. 2500 air ride is just the airbag, no coil spring.
Things I wish I knew beforehand...

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Ouch I’ve only seen them on 3500s in person. I wouldn’t order this on a 2500, terrible item reminds me of the old Mercedes SLS or the GM air rides. The 2500 with the added aftermarket airbags works excellent.

Dave01

Reaction score
Things I wish I knew beforehand...
I have not seen posts with complaints about failures, in my experience bag failures are pretty rare. I'm glad I have the option on my 2500, really enjoy it, don't worry about it a bit.

I had a Tahoe with air ride, the bags never had any issues, the pump did fail. I bought a replacement pump, I don't remember the price but wasn't all that bad, and installed myself, it worked perfectly after that until I sold it. And, as the pump was failing it just ran a lot, it wasn't like the rear end sagged, I knew I was on borrowed time and so replaced it while still pumping enough to maintain ride height.

Ram25002021

Reaction score
I will jump in and say that I ordered it with my 2021 2500 and have really liked it. The fact that the truck levels itself is nice. Of course it would be a bummer if it failed, but no different then any other component going bad on a vehicle. One of the reasons I purchased is because of the slightly smoother ride on a day to day basis vs the stiff rear end without air ride. Just my opinion!

ammdrew

Reaction score
My air ride 2500 is excellent. Never a issue with any of our Air ride trucks and I would trust them as much as any mechanical spring. Anything and everything can fail but I would say in our experience the bags are very reliable and the ride is terrific.. as a bonus you never have the back of the truck sagging under load. I will not not buy another without. Even the 3500 is better with the bag /hybrid option, actually the best if you need the capacity.

BlueOx2500

Reaction score
My air ride 2500 is excellent. Never a issue with any of our Air ride trucks and I would trust them as much as any mechanical spring. Anything and everything can fail but I would say in our experience the bags are very reliable and the ride is terrific.. as a bonus you never have the back of the truck sagging under load. I will not not buy another without. Even the 3500 is better with the bag /hybrid option, actually the best if you need the capacity.
Thanks for those thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread