Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fluid Film

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I have used fluid film for many years its a great product. I have switched to corrosion Free due to availability and it is a great product also i do find the corrosion free seems to hold up to wheel spray a bit better though. I plow with my truck and salt/ calcium chloride gets everywhere from the plow spray and i have not had any rust issues

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
$45 for a gallon, $45 for a Sprayer, $5 for a Tyvek jumpsuit. Call it $60 a year and a few hours. I'm wanting this one to last until I can no longer drive. :)
For the 150$ a year it costs i would rather pay to have it done its a messy dirty job that would make a mess of my hoist and shop

pinco

Reaction score
I’m pretty positive these are the plugs. They’re used all over the body, and it says “including rocker panels.

Attachments

• IMG_4583.png
    IMG_4583.png
    453.5 KB · Views: 26

pinco

Reaction score
For the 150$ a year it costs i would rather pay to have it done its a messy dirty job that would make a mess of my hoist and shop
Yeah lol. I did it in the street with the wheels up on the curb, one side at a time. Threw all my clothes in the trash, couldn’t see anything through my glasses, not fun. I just wonder if someone else is going to get all the areas that matter so much. Either way, I can’t imagine not doing it with the trash metal that we’re getting out of China. I had a 1975 F-250 that was 20 years old, I plowed with it, never used any oil on it, and the rust wasn’t that bad. Better metal and a hell of a lot heavier gauge. My 2020 jeep wrangler already has rust at the bottom of 3 doors, and it’s never been off road. It’s sad, I’m loading up every vehicle with fluid film for now on.

pinco

Reaction score
Yeah lol. I did it in the street with the wheels up on the curb, one side at a time. Threw all my clothes in the trash, couldn’t see anything through my glasses, not fun. I just wonder if someone else is going to get all the areas that matter so much. Either way, I can’t imagine not doing it with the trash metal that we’re getting out of China. I had a 1975 F-250 that was 20 years old, I plowed with it, never used any oil on it, and the rust wasn’t that bad. Better metal and a hell of a lot heavier gauge. My 2020 jeep wrangler already has rust at the bottom of 3 doors, and it’s never been off road. It’s sad, I’m loading up every vehicle with fluid film for now on.
And I’m definitely getting rocker panel plugs !!! The rocker panels at the bottom seem to have small openings in some places to let out moisture, but I can’t see the rocker panels staying dry or rust free with gaping holes.

Wholeo

Reaction score
Didn't know plugs were available. I tear the cheap duct tape off from the factory and replace with T-REX or GORRILA rubberized tape. With proper prepping that stuff ain't coming off without a fight. Like everybody's thinking, that is a perfect place for anything that causes metal to rust to sit and do it's damage.

snocam

Reaction score
I use either fluid film or woolwax. I have the gun for applying it myself. Yeah it's a messy job, but I think it's imperative to long term vehicle maintenance in VT where I live. Just yesterday I fluid filmed my snow chains before storing them for the next 7 months or so. If I didn't spray the chains, they wouldn't be usable next snow season.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My guys that spray are really good they have small nozzles to get everywhere too no drilling

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I use either fluid film or woolwax. I have the gun for applying it myself. Yeah it's a messy job, but I think it's imperative to long term vehicle maintenance in VT where I live. Just yesterday I fluid filmed my snow chains before storing them for the next 7 months or so. If I didn't spray the chains, they wouldn't be usable next snow season.
I have never sprayed my chains they go on just as good when needed the next year

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I have never sprayed my chains they go on just as good when needed the next year

Same. My current 2 main pairs of chains are over 20 years old.

I do dry them out before storing, but that’s it.

snocam

Reaction score
Same. My current 2 main pairs of chains are over 20 years old.

I do dry them out before storing, but that’s it.
The amount of calcium chloride they throw down here is incredible. My chains are the cam lock style, with 5 locks per side. If they are corroded it's much harder to get them on the tires the right way and it takes longer. If you don't experience this than great, possibly my chains are more mild steel and rust easier. Cheers for st Patty day!

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
The amount of calcium chloride they throw down here is incredible. My chains are the cam lock style, with 5 locks per side. If they are corroded it's much harder to get them on the tires the right way and it takes longer. If you don't experience this than great, possibly my chains are more mild steel and rust easier. Cheers for st Patty day!

Interesting, regardless of the conditions I’ve never gave to chain up on a treated road.

snocam

Reaction score
Interesting, regardless of the conditions I’ve never gave to chain up on a treated road.
I have a bunch of driveways and 2 private roads that I plow here in the town I live in. Some are pretty steep. If the conditions require chains on the rear dually wheels, I leave them on for the entire route, otherwise it would take too long to continually remove and install them. Inevitably, they end up seeing a bit of treated road surface between jobs. I actually plan on new tires with studs for next winter.

TMC55CAV

Reaction score
I had my prior Ram coated with Krown, seemed to work well. I have no experience with fluid film. Any opinions on which of the two may be better?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I had my prior Ram coated with Krown, seemed to work well. I have no experience with fluid film. Any opinions on which of the two may be better?
Krown is awful stuff you wont get rust but all your rubber components and seals will turn to mush i had to replace almost all the rubber components on my 01 after 2 years of krown

WXman

Reaction score
PB Surface Shield in the aerosol cans. I did my truck front to back with 3 cans and it held up great all year. Didn’t even put the truck on a lift. Did it in my driveway in about an hour. Cost me $65 for a six pack box, and I used half so now in a couple of years I can do it again.

Dave01

Reaction score
PB Surface Shield in the aerosol cans. I did my truck front to back with 3 cans and it held up great all year. Didn’t even put the truck on a lift. Did it in my driveway in about an hour. Cost me $65 for a six pack box, and I used half so now in a couple of years I can do it again.
I used fluid film on my '07 Silverado, really worked well. A local guy applied it for $200, very thorough job and after seeing how he did it I wouldn't want to do it myself. On the Ram when almost new I had a mineral oil undercoat done, hadn't ever done it before but a few friends had good results, I'll bring it back for touch up as needed. I'll let you know in 3-4 years whether it was worth it or not. :)

Rt9bil

Reaction score
I did my first application of fluid film on my ‘23 last fall. I bought the wax wool spray gun and extension tips plus a gallon of fluid film and a tyvek suit from Napa. I think the total cost was $155. I drove the truck onto some ramps, took my time and sprayed everything. I even pulled the taillights to get into the bed sides. I still have 1/3 gallon left. I guess I have a little ptsd from all the GMs I have owned prior to this truck. Every single on had rust issues…brake lines, rockers, bedsides.

Users who are viewing this thread