Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TransferFlow Replacement Tank for Hemi

Riccochet

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect anything for at least a year. It's a lot of work to go from concept to production. Donor vehicle for measuring and mock ups, design, mold design, mold production, test units, DOT testing and certification.

I'd be happy with an extra 10-15 gallons if that's all that can fit in the CCSB space without compromising ground clearance. If they can add 15 gallons that'd be another 130'ish miles of range while towing. For me, anyways.

Ahmed392

Reaction score
anyone hear back from TransferFlow yet?
Yes, I was contacted by them last month via email. As commented by other Members, the process will take its standard time as it had to develop and progress thru the typical phases from design inception till production, provided that all regulatory requirements and technical prerequisites are met.

Let’s hope for the best, especially that the matter is within the safe hands of a competent, reliable and reputable Supplier “TransferFlow”.

Go4Mac

Reaction score
I heard back from transferflow.

“Thank you for reaching out. The project for a replacement tank for the Ram Powerwagon was approved last month and is on our future projects list. We have yet to set a timeline or investigate the specific vehicle years. I will add your information to our contact list and contact you when more information is available. “

Ahmed392

Reaction score
I heard back from transferflow.

“Thank you for reaching out. The project for a replacement tank for the Ram Powerwagon was approved last month and is on our future projects list. We have yet to set a timeline or investigate the specific vehicle years. I will add your information to our contact list and contact you when more information is available. “
Thanks for sharing this encouraging update and let’s keep it up.

From now onwards, no option for “gear down-shifting” to be considered for now :)

Let’s maintain the momentum!

Riccochet

Reaction score
My only problem with their tanks is the price. Especially when Titan is doing diesel tanks for nearly half the price.

Maybe we should press Titan as well.

mkmsr

Reaction score
My only problem with their tanks is the price. Especially when Titan is doing diesel tanks for nearly half the price.

Agreed. I would love a larger tank but I do not think I'm going to drop a few grand to avoid filling up as often. Even towing a fifth wheel I can go 3 hrs and that's as long as I want to sit without a stop. I can spend that money on more productive items.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
Gas tanks will cost more than diesel, evap stuff with gas is EPA regulated, can’t just buy a bigger tank, got have all the compliant components as a package.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

As @Grateful Dad mentioned, there is more that goes with a gasser than a diesel which drives the price up.

As far as contacting Titan, feel free to try.
This is the response I got in Oct...zero interest.

1693170829954.png

3500_Gasser

Reaction score
MORE RANGE IS ON THE WAY!

The project has only recently been officially initiated, but here’s what I’ve learned from Transfer Flow so far:

Tank will initially be developed for the CCSB 2500/3500. This is where most of the demand currently lies.

Availability date is difficult to predict, given the development, testing, CARB certification, etc. Ballpark guidance from Transfer Flow is that “gasoline projects usually take six months to 1 year to complete.”

Capacity is also unknown at this point. In general, the company likes to “shoot for about double the capacity”, but of course they are limited by the available space forward/aft of the OEM tank. As a point of reference, I note that Titan’s replacement tank for the RAM CCSB DIESEL has 52G capacity, also vs 31G OEM. So, my guess is we see something in the ballpark of 50G, which maybe adds 200 miles of range for those of us hauling heavy campers and getting around 10 MPG.

Loss of clearance (breakover angle) is expected be minimal. TF says their tanks usually don’t hang below the level of the OEM skid plate. If I understood correctly, this means the bottom of the tank may hang 0.75” to 1” below OEM tank. Because the tank will be made of steel (specifically, powder coated aluminized steel), Transfer Flow says no skid plate is necessary. TF says they’ve not had issues with tank damage due to scraping of the tank. Clearance/breakover is an important issue for me, so I will be watching this closely.

I know nothing about planned pricing at this point. But, I do know that Transfer Flow has a steel replacement tank available for the F250/350 short-bed crew-cab. It is 58G (vs OEM of 36G) and sells for $2,730.

https://www.transferflow.com/58-gallon-ford-midship-replacement-fuel-tank

I will add more details to this thread as I learn them.

PS While I expect that this project will result in Transfer Flow bringing a tank to market, there is no guarantee. I think it would be helpful to let Transfer Flow know of your interest at:

https://www.transferflow.com/suggest-a-product

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

The project has only recently been officially initiated, but here’s what I’ve learned from Transfer Flow so far:

Tank will initially be developed for the CCSB 2500/3500. This is where most of the demand currently lies.

Availability date is difficult to predict, given the development, testing, CARB certification, etc. Ballpark guidance from Transfer Flow is that “gasoline projects usually take six months to 1 year to complete.”

Capacity is also unknown at this point. In general, the company likes to “shoot for about double the capacity”, but of course they are limited by the available space forward/aft of the OEM tank. As a point of reference, I note that Titan’s replacement tank for the RAM CCSB DIESEL has 52G capacity, also vs 31G OEM. So, my guess is we see something in the ballpark of 50G, which maybe adds 200 miles of range for those of us hauling heavy campers and getting around 10 MPG.

Loss of clearance (breakover angle) is expected be minimal. TF says their tanks usually don’t hang below the level of the OEM skid plate. If I understood correctly, this means the bottom of the tank may hang 0.75” to 1” below OEM tank. Because the tank will be made of steel (specifically, powder coated aluminized steel), Transfer Flow says no skid plate is necessary. TF says they’ve not had issues with tank damage due to scraping of the tank. Clearance/breakover is an important issue for me, so I will be watching this closely.

I know nothing about planned pricing at this point. But, I do know that Transfer Flow has a steel replacement tank available for the F250/350 short-bed crew-cab. It is 58G (vs OEM of 36G) and sells for $2,730.

PS While I expect that this project will result in Transfer Flow bringing a tank to market, there is no guarantee. I think it would be helpful to let Transfer Flow know of your interest at:

They sent out a Survey in August of last year due to the high volume of interest in a tank for the gassers.
Are you saying they told you they just started working on this?
Otherwise this is is all pretty much known information that was provided in the email they sent.

3500_Gasser

Reaction score
Gondel: Good question. My understanding is that the project had been approved at that time, but not initiated. They were waiting, I believe, for available engineering resources within the company, as well as a donor truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’m excited that someone is finally doing it. I’m sure it’ll be a great product, but good god that’s expensive.

Dave01

Reaction score
I’m excited that someone is finally doing it. I’m sure it’ll be a great product, but good god that’s expensive.
I would really enjoy a larger tank, more range. But not sure I'll spend close to 3 grand plus install. If I was towing heavy on long trips I'd totally justify the cost, but for just convenience I'm not sure I'll go for it.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

That's on par with all their other offerings...
Titan makes their tanks out of plastic so it would be cheaper but they already told us to go pound sand.

There's just no great option for gasser... either carry 5gal jugs, get a 'side kick' that hold 15gals, or get an in bed tank and lose a chunk of your bed and then still need to figure out how to get it all plumbed in... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jsalbre

Reaction score
That's on par with all their other offerings...
Titan makes their tanks out of plastic so it would be cheaper but they already told us to go pound sand.

There's just no great option for gasser... either carry 5gal jugs, get a 'side kick' that hold 15gals, or get an in bed tank and lose a chunk of your bed and then still need to figure out how to get it all plumbed in... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
True story. I could probably convince myself to spend $1500 on it, but at this price I’ll probably stick with my Wavian jerry cans. One that lives in the bed full time, and one extra that comes along if I’m going to spend an extended period of time in the back country.

Yeah, it’s less fuel and less convenient, but at $100 a can (they’re not that expensive) and $3.00/gal for gas (also cheaper than that) I could buy and fill 23 cans.

Honestly I think a 15 gallon sidekick tank is probably the best way to go. They sit over the wheel well so they’re not really taking up much in the way of useable space, and you don’t have to carry the extra weight of a steel tank and the extra 15 gal of gas around all the time. Yeah, it’s not plumbed in (unless you get creative), but most of the time, even towing, by the time I need to refuel someone needs to stop anyway.

Grateful Dad

Reaction score
I’ve got the Sidekick and while it does relieve range anxiety, it has its own drawbacks, especially if you have a tonneau cover. I’m not back country exploring , just towing my 5v’r so for me, I’d rather have the larger tank. And truthfully (for me anyway) it’s the difference between going 180-200 miles to around 300. Usually can’t find a good place near the 200 mile mark so I gotta stop even earlier, 300 miles of range gets me to any midpoint or a good stop.

At 180 miles on straight highway driving, feels like the trip just started, don’t want to stop EVERY 2.5 hours………….

3500_Gasser

Reaction score
I’ve got the Sidekick and while it does relieve range anxiety, it has its own drawbacks, especially if you have a tonneau cover. I’m not back country exploring , just towing my 5v’r so for me, I’d rather have the larger tank. And truthfully (for me anyway) it’s the difference between going 180-200 miles to around 300. Usually can’t find a good place near the 200 mile mark so I gotta stop even earlier, 300 miles of range gets me to any midpoint or a good stop.

At 180 miles on straight highway driving, feels like the trip just started, don’t want to stop EVERY 2.5 hours………….
I've got an aux tank in the bed right now (similar to the Sidekick), but it's a PITA the get the fuel from the aux tank to the vehicle tank. It takes time to move the fuel from one tank to the other, plus you're dealing with the fumes and having residual gas in your pump or siphon to deal with. So, for me, the convenience of a factory-replacement tank wins.

Ahmed392

Reaction score

Good news and thanks for posting such an update. I recently received a similar one based on the earlier expressed interest.

Now, awaiting to solidify the efforts and move to the commercial production.

Let’s keep the hope and interest high.

Ahmed392

Reaction score
BTW, has anyone considered the following option offered by TITAN:

TITAN FUEL TANKS 7030213 50 GALLON EXTRA HEAVY DUTY, CROSS-LINKED POLYETHYLENE FUEL TANK​

Please excuse me if I missed earlier similar query, but this interaction is to clear any different understanding of what other options exist in the market that could fit the 2022 RAM PW, 4 doors with 61/2 bed.
Thanks you all for your valuable discussions.

Users who are viewing this thread