Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Ram?

chrisbo4

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm in the market for an HD truck, and I'd like to hear from you all... why Ram? What was it about Ram that made you choose over GM or Ford? I'm specifically looking to get a gasser. To me the 6.4, 6.0, and 7.3 all seem like decent options.

Clayinfl

Reaction score
Drove all three, I liked the Ram best. At that point June 2023, Ram was the only one who would negotiate. I paid 11% under MSRP. Neither For nor GMC would come down at all. I have the gasser. I love it. I traded a Ram 1500 Hemi on it.

Reaction score
Ram had the most comfortable drive and the shortest overall length with an over 6’ bed. Plus I got a massive discount off MSRP vs the other 2 so it was a no brainer.
I also think it looks the best. I showed my wife the other 2 and she said this was the most masculine and timeless. She’s right.
Oh and this is my 3rd Ram in a row

Last edited:

Dathan_Swick

Reaction score
It was in stock.

Chevy/GMC never had what i wanted on a dealership, and i wasn't willing to order a truck only to wait, only have it delayed lr canceled (agian).

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Ram used to have GM and Ford beat on price....best bang for your buck. MSRP was lower and then you could find dealers really discounting them so it was a double win. To me that was always the main reason...getting a cummins cheaper than the other ones was just gravy

Not so much these days. I'd still look hard at Ram, but would seriously consider a Chevy on the gas burner side. We have a 2021 tradesman 6.4, sticker was $48k+ and paid $42k back in 21 with the dealer adding a bed liner and B&W gooseneck. That same truck in a 2024 is $63,500...so could probably be bought in the $54-55k range with the current rebates......you can get a Chevy Custom crew cab, gasser, bigger back seat, power seat etc, sticker will be around $57-58k, should be able to get it bought cheaper than a comparably equipped tradesman or close to it...incentives aren't there, but there are GM dealers willing to deal and you're starting $5k less than a tradesman. Only downside is the WT and Custom still have the old interior, you get the updated front end and dash on a LT and up.

I'm personally looking at a double cab due to the price point and I like the longer bed on GMs vs the short bed Ram

Diesel I'd still go with Ram all day long

Enve46

Reaction score
I’m partial to Ram trucks, always have been. Can’t get myself to pull a trigger on the other brands. Wife looked right at me when looking at the Ford and say hell no we don’t drive Fords hahaha unless it’s an OBS. I still think Ram has the best interior but there’s no facts to back that up. If you’re not partial to any brand go drive them all, gets numbers and make a decision that way. Everyone here uses their truck differently. I’ve had TRXs, Mega Cab diesels and now a Power Wagon. I was never going to use a diesel to it’s potential until I needed to when my wife’s Q8 broke down at the beginning of our move from Fla to Tn and I was really glad I had it. Now with the Power Wagon I’ll be using it more for its intended purpose than I would a diesel. If you’re going gasser the Ford 7.3 is highly appealing. I love the 6.4, it has plenty of power but who doesn’t love more out of the box?

jebruns

Reaction score
That, and the Cummins. Yes, I know the OP said gas, but that was my #1 reason for going Ram. I've owned GM, Ford and Ram 3/4 ton trucks. I liked them all when I owned them, except for the powerstroke motor in the Ford.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Cummins, Aisin, no IFS, auto-level suspension, packages, and feel.

Fords interiors just don’t feel well built and aren’t as comfortable for me.

The 7.3 seems to be a good motor, I just don’t like the cab.

GM has their gas motors down, but I don’t like IFS on HD trucks.

MtnRider

Reaction score
Cost, I could get more truck for less money. Ford and GM were significantly more expensive and were not budging on price. Now they are all pretty evenly priced so who knows what my next truck will be? I like my Ram but at the end of the day they are all about equal and I have no brand loyalty. What ever is the best deal and fits my needs at the time will be what I choose.

Having a large family I do like the mega cab though.

Michael D Engle

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm in the market for an HD truck, and I'd like to hear from you all... why Ram? What was it about Ram that made you choose over GM or Ford? I'm specifically looking to get a gasser. To me the 6.4, 6.0, and 7.3 all seem like decent options.
I bought my 1st in 99, then 03,11, and 2021.
Never any problems and always traded north of 125k. My friend's Duramax was always in the engine shop.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
After GM screwed me on a car I had to get a lemon lawyer to get my money back, I swore I'd never buy another GM product.
I didn't like the looks of the Fords. And I'd have to pay extra for a Tremor to get all the goodies that came stock on a Power Wagon.
The PW fit my needs. The interior is probably the best out there.
So it was a no brainer for me.
2021 75th Anniversary Edition Power Wagon.

Riddick

Reaction score
I come from a Ford family and have had several of them in the past. I never had any major issues but there was always little things that seemed to pop up and I wanted to try something different. Life is to short to be brand loyal.

Truth be told I wanted a GMC 2500 AT4 but the dealers would not budge on price even on custom ordered trucks. This combined with the fact the dealer had no idea on how long an order would take to deliver drove me away.

I used to be a RAM/Dodge hater and always swore I would never own one. However, since the updated design came out in 2019 I loved the way it looked. When I test drove one I really liked everything about it. It's been nearly 2.5 years and I plan on holding onto this one for awhile. As long as my lifters hold out she will stay in my driveway, I can take care of any emissions issues or transmission issues on my own.

RockaRhyme

Reaction score
My first RAM was one of the 5th gen 1500s in 2019. At the time is was garnering a ton of attention and accolades in the industry and since the GM and Ford products hadn't been updated yet, it was a pretty easy decision. I LOVED the 1500. The interior design, the rear seat space, and the 4 corner air/auto-leveling were far and away my favorite features and no other manufacturer was offering matching features. It was the perfect ½ ton for a young family.

A couple years later I upgraded to a 2500 which has the same interior, minus the limousine sized backseat, and it road just about as good as the 1500. We were upgrading our camper and needed the extra grunt. I wasn’t a fan of giving up the legroom in the rear, but the 2500’s payload was too low to give up any more for a mega cab. That aside the truck was great. The strength, simplicity, and smoothness of the inline 6 diesel can’t be undervalued either. Looking under the hood of a ford or chevy stresses me out.

Unfortunately (maybe fortunately) the 2500 had issues and so Ram was forced to replace it and I took the opportunity to upgrade to a 3500 mega cab. It’s as comfy and as roomy as my 1500 was, but with 4,000lbs of payload. It’s a stiffer for sure, but with the rear air suspension and decent tires with adjusted PSI it rides great and tows like a dream.

Honestly, if other manufactures offered auto-leveling I’d probably have given them more consideration. Especially since both have upgraded their interiors. But if you tow that auto-leveling from the manufacturer is such a great feature.

Razzman

Reaction score
I've always had MOPARs, whether it be cars or trucks. Had a couple of deviations decades back with a '92 V8 T-Bird (good car) a 80 something Taurus the wife bought (hated that POS) but always Dodge trucks with one exception, a new GMC Sierra 4x4 I got an amazing deal on and plead temporary insanity, a HUGE mistake and dumped it after the warranty expired. Don't like the style of the Ford or GM trucks at all.

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Rode around in a new 7.3 F250 not long ago including a bunch of off pavement, glad I got the PW over that. It’s a true hauler vs the PW though, meh. To each his own according to need…

4FishLimit

Reaction score
I came from a 2011 Ram 1500 that I bought used and had served me well for 7 years with just basic maintenance.

I was dead set on another 1500 with the Ecodiesel engine (wife’s Jeep has the same engine, and while not without its faults, has been perfectly reliable for us). I had a deposit on 2023 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel for 5 months due to the stop sale related to the HPFP recall. I got tired of waiting around with no end in site for the recall and due to some changes at work I was in need of a newer vehicle. Ended up working a deal on a 2023 2500 Laramie with the Cummins and haven’t regretted it one bit.

It’s definitely overkill for my use as work vehicle/daily driver, but it’s a huge step up in creature comforts compared to my 2011 1500.

I have friends/coworkers that own GM and Ford and I’ve just never been super impressed with the interior layout, materials, etc. in each, including a neighbors 2024 Chevy 3500 HD with the updated interior. I still think Ram is best in class here.

On top of that, I like to do as much of my own maintenance as possible, which is much more realistic for the average home wrench on the Ram compared to the other manufacturers.

Grey

Reaction score
One of the many reasons I like Ram is the style. Go look up a 1974 International Pickup. They could hardly give them away at the time because the looked like a square box with wheels. Solid trucks but looks lacked. Look at those and then compare it to the new Fords. Thye look bricks with wheels. Chevy trucks are pretty much square boxes as well. Ive always had good results with Dodge Trucks, and at least the spend a little time making them look decent. Telling ya, New Fords, Chevy, look like the old 70s IH trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread