Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by RammingSince91

1. R

First oil change and engine developed a loud clatter/ticking noise at 1500+ rpms

I took my truck to a independent diesel tech. He had another 2020 6.7 Cummins in for service and we compared the sound of the two engines. Completely different. He suspects it to be lifters as well but we cannot do anything as far as work on my truck due to risking a possible warranty issue...
  2. R

First oil change and engine developed a loud clatter/ticking noise at 1500+ rpms

Quick update: Manufacturer is stating that the noise is normal. Dealership is saying there is nothing else they can do. They assured me that "everything is documented." This is such BS. If this was considered normal, why did they even change the transmission in the first place? They stated the...
  3. R

Mine is slowly and gradually getting louder. Other than it getting louder a little bit, there’s no variation in the sound. Keep me updated on what happens to your truck. Will give updates after I send mine back after I drive it more (which I think it’s useless). Sent from my iPhone using...
  4. R

You probably waited a long time to do an oil change but honestly it would not have mattered. You would still end up with the same issue as us. I can hear mine in motion if I have the windows down and accelerate from a stop. It seems to be getting louder than when I first started having this...
  5. R

Update: So far I put about 500 miles on the truck. Has roughly 10700 miles on it now. Seems like it's getting louder. When the engine is cold, it doesn't make any unusual sounds. Only when it's at operating temp. Uploaded a video also so I could get your guy's opinions on it.
  6. R

Definitely. Let me know once you switch the oil weight. Curious if that would fix the constant ticking. I’m sure we all have the same problem because it consistently starts around 1400-1500 rpm. I’m just baffled how they found shavings in my transmission. If it weren’t for the ticking noise...
  7. R

They found metal shavings in the transmission as well as other damage where they had to send in pics to Chrysler for a new transmission approval but they thought the noise was coming from the transmission because of that. Which doesn’t make any sense to me because I had no issues with my...
  8. R

Terrible warranty/service experience

Just found this thread. I also have that same noise after my first oil change at 9800 miles on my 2021 CTD limited megacab. I took it in May 2nd. They found metal shavings in my transmission and thought that was the culprit. New transmission and transmission cooler installed 3 weeks later and...
  9. R

No. Mines coming from the upper engine area toward the firewall. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. R

For real. When I went back to get something out of my truck a couple weeks ago. Most of the techs working back there are kids fresh out of school. Also the same time there was another 2021 Ram CTD with the same noise as mine. With 23k miles on the clock. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. R

Update: dealer put in the new transmission and transmission cooler. Tapping noise is still there. They diagnosed it as lifters making noise. They escalated it to a star case with Chrysler and sent them audio recording. Chrysler is saying that it’s normal for lifters to make a tapping noise...
  12. R

Mine sounded similar but I think mine was louder. But when I tried recording it, the sound was masked by the engine sound so it didn’t appear that loud on video. The best way I can describe mine would be like a semi loud hemi tick. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  13. R

I thought the same. I could have sworn it was coming from the upper end of the motor… when they told me it was the transmission I was at a loss for words.. I won’t know for sure until I see the final repair bill and test it for myself. I have tried to record it (iPhone 13) before I sent it to...
  14. R

Will post it when I get it. Probably won’t be for a while since it’ll take about a month for the new transmission comes in. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk