Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by jeffn

1. J

What do you guys use the 110v outlet for?

It is limiting for well-understood reasons. Drive by wire systems, electronic suspensions, mild hybrid systems, and redesigning subsystems (AC, power steering, coolant pumps) to take them off the engine requires wiring harnesses that significantly increase weight and volume. The higher voltages...
  2. J

12v electrical systems are a limiting factor. You will see these getting replaced by 48v systems in the model years to come.
  3. J

I have a Bodegacooler in my backseat. Works great. I would like more plugs in cars and trucks. The cigarette lighter adapters are a relic the past. Between USB ports and 2 prong plugs, there is no reason to continue putting the old style plugs in vehicles.
  4. J

Blind Spot Alert Unavailable Service Required

I have been dealing with this issue for 3 years. It comes and goes, this is the week it is visiting. It is always the same two error messages - blind spot alert and power side steps. Another issue, less frequent, is that the center 12” display will go out and I do not have bluetooth, heat, or...
  5. J

Bigger tires more hwy mpg?

Diesels are different than gassers. Peak torque is 1,800 RPM (1,000 lb-ft in HO.) With 4.10 gears in a DRW, the engine turns about 2,150 at 75 mph. The only way you will get the RPM down, other than slowing down, is to change the effective gear ratio at the wheels. 5th and 6th on an Aisin...
  6. J

Bigger tires more hwy mpg?

I have thought about doing the same. If I could run 75 at 2,000 RPM my mileage would improve considerably.
  7. J

oil temperature

thanks. 2020 HO. This behavior is not uncommon, based on my research. Oil temperature is one of the least problematic indicators in these engines, the internal oil cooler works well. I tow heavy, but this is Florida so grades are not a factor in towing.
  8. J

Dash issue

yes, same. Not bubbles but two entire sections of the dash have lifted
  9. J

oil temperature

Yesterday, I drove back to South Florida from Alabama. 710 miles, unloaded. Watching my gauges I saw the oil temperature climb to 205 and abruptly drop to 183, then start the slow climb to 205. Rinse, repeat for the entire drive. Coolant stayed constant at 187-190, transmission at 167. I have...
  10. J

New ZF transmissions on the horizon?

Porsche‘s PDK is #1 in the transmission hall of fame. It is a DCT, from ZF.
  11. J

Fuel Filter change at every 7,500 miles

I tow mid to heavy 60% of my miles and I have never changed fuel filters at 7,500 miles. Fuel and oil both go 12k for me, on average. I pump 50% of my fuel from my aux tank through a separate filter, and sometimes I push the RAM filters beyond 0%. I do the filter and fluid changes, more than...
  12. J

A/T Tire that's good for wet traction

I live in southwest Florida. Wet traction is a primary concern when shopping for tires. General Grabber. Great tire in wet and in the loamy mud on my farm. Put 32k miles on them and could have stretched out another few k but it was the start of rainy season and I didn’t want to risk it...
  13. J

2022 3500 third brake light replacement

Check Ebay Motors.
  14. J

Windshield replacement recommendations wanted.

I had mine replaced at Safelite. They used OEM glass, I think the cost was $600
  15. J

Perform service message

all 300 pages in 6 point font? If they redesigned the manual to make it readable, more people would read it. Here’s another idea, include a second manual that serves as a quick start guide and maintenance schedule. The manuals that car makers provide are written by lawyers and engineers, not...