Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by Jeffmc306

1. Jeffmc306

Dc to dc charging tie into 3500 battery/alternator

The reason I pulled the fuse vs. disconnecting the trailer’s power so I can use it to power the trailer’s running lights at night when at a rally. All you do is insert a blade fuse between the 12V positive and the running lights terminal on the trailer’s 7 pin plug. I taped the fuse to the...
  2. Jeffmc306

Yep! You’ve got the right one. F30 is the 7 pin charging fuse.
  3. Jeffmc306

Towing with new 6.4L

Pittboss44, this is a constant thread on trailer forums. Do I or don't I need a WD hitch with a HD truck? In my experience it's not the WD part as much as the sway control. We tow a 27' Airstream that's around 6600 lbs. with a RAM 2500 6.4 and use a Blue Ox SwayPro with 1000# WD bars. I don't...
  4. Jeffmc306

Shocks

I installed four 4600’s and a set of SumoSprings on the rear. We tow a 27’ Airstream trailer and I noticed an immediate difference when going over bridges or overpasses with a dip. The truck is much more planted, no rebound like before. You used to have to hang on the steering wheel to make...
  5. Jeffmc306

Disconnecting the 7 Pin is recommended if you’re charging Lithium batteries due to the higher voltage charging profile. If you’re charging lead acid which are the same as your truck, it’s not a problem. Just make sure you follow Renogy’s instructions on pg. 18-19 in the manual regarding the...
  6. Jeffmc306

Henrys, the problem is lithium batteries have a different charging profile than the AGM / Lead Acid batteries in your truck. You need a DC-DC charger that can provide the correct voltage in the bulk/absorption stages and float. For example, Battle Born states you need 14.2-14.6V in...
  7. Jeffmc306

Great information on this thread. I installed a Blue Sea Systems Single MRBF Terminal Fuse Block - 5191 and a 60A fuse for my Renogy 40A DC-DC charger in our Airstream trailer on the 8MM stud. I pulled two 4 ga. welding cable to the bumper and terminated it on an Anderson SB120 connector...
  8. Jeffmc306

Towing with new 6.4L

Redcold, something doesn’t smell right with your results. Yes, that is a big, heavy trailer but I’d expect better mileage. That said, your observation of 3500 RPM’s is telling - and an indicator the truck is working hard but 5 MPG is really low. I mean that’s TFL Truck IKE world’s toughest...
  9. Jeffmc306

Towing with new 6.4L

Actually we didn’t drive around much unhooked - camped with friends and they drove the few times we went out for groceries. I’d say less than 200 miles were unhooked over the course of the trip. I hand checked mileage periodically and found it was within a half MPG. In flat areas we were...
  10. Jeffmc306

Towing with new 6.4L

We made the trip from Northern Illinois to Acadia NP in Maine then on to the International Airstream Rally in Fryeburg, ME. Three thousand miles round trip, averaged 11.1 MPG towing our 27’ Airstream Globetrotter (around 7200 lbs.). The 6.4 2500 & 3.73 gears handled it with ease. Was very...
  11. Jeffmc306

Firestone Transforce AT Tires Are Useless

My thoughts exactly - I wanted them to work out but after two winters and spinning the tires in wet, I did not want to chance it. The Michelins and others mentioned by others handle adverse conditions better than the Transforce AT’s. They were tolerable in dry conditions but the pucker...
  12. Jeffmc306

Firestone Transforce AT Tires Are Useless

It rained the other day and the tires spun pulling out into traffic. We’ve got camping trips planned for each month from May to October and I didn’t want to chance an accident pulling the trailer. So with 14,700 miles I had Discount Tire replace the Transforce AT’s with Michelin Agilis...
  13. Jeffmc306

Lets see what you are towing!

So my son asked if he could tow our Airstream with his Hemi Challenger Scat Pack ;) Recent trip to Cheyenne Mountain State Park near Colorado Springs. It’s across from Fort Carson - you can hear Revile in the morning!
  14. Jeffmc306

Very nice combo! Is that a 25’ Rear Bed Airstream?
  15. Jeffmc306

Thanks Hoff! Can’t wait to get out there and enjoy it again.