Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by akamac

1. A

Ticking noise underneath truck

Mine is on month 3 at Dealer. Failed lifters and cam, same noise, would come and go as it warmed up. I'm not sure these hydraulic roller lifters are worth the quiet they provide. Hemi powered units are eating cams as these lifters fail. Different product same application.
  2. A

Lifter Failure

Yep! I can't argue with that. I can't explain it any more that the Tech. "I don't know"
  3. A

Lifter Failure

5W40 t-6 per dealer recommendation. Snow trip to Sierras before change at 14000.
  4. A

Lifter Failure

Right click on image, save as, then zoom with the program that opens. The "tracks" where the lifters roll are the tell-tell for odd wear patterns. Cylinder 1 & 2 are the ones that stand out. I'm heading to Wa. on Friday to help my Son replace his VP44 and crank-seal on my old 2001 2500. His...
  5. A

Lifter Failure

2020 Laramie 3500 SRW I developed a "thunk" noise 140 miles into my new CP-3 recall. I towed it to Dealer on July 19 and waited for help. Fast forward two months and here it sits. Photos taken today, notice cam wear. 22000 miles, ~8k towing. Tech told me cam wear is is normal with roller...
  6. A

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

The thumping noise that I noticed when idling after 140 miles of driving. Explained in an earlier post. More boost at lower rpms is indicative of more fuel delivery which is required for higher boost numbers. Your pressure numbers have an inverse effect on fuel usage, high boost low mpg's, low...
  7. A

CP4 recall thread (merged threads) - Y78 Jan 2022 recall campaign - Parts Available May 10 for 2020 trucks only

For those that have had the recall; Have you noticed a discrepancy in boost? The numbers I'm looking for are downhill and light acceleration. My truck ran at 3 psi pre-repair on level highway and 8 psi on the same stretch of road after repair. The big difference was down hill, no throttle, no...
  8. A

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

I got a call yesterday and they are unable to diagnose problem. They may go new engine route but have to wait for Star Tech to approve. Not taking the fifth-wheel to Washington with a 1500. Not a happy guy right now, no time frame on repair.
  9. A

Ram cp4 failure thread - Post all CP4 failures here DO NOT start a new thread.

I'm driving a 2022 1500 Hemi Big Horn loaner. Going on three weeks. No word or callback from Dealer.
  10. A

Well I talked to a local guy and got some good news from him. The noise is not an engine noise but a fuel pressure regulator failure. I can only hope that the Tech tests the changes made before failure as the root cause. The boost #'s I was seeing are a symptom of the failure. 2PSI going down...
  11. A

Well harbinger of bad news I am. SA called and Tech advised lifter or engine. Engines are long term and lifters are short term waiting list. Can't explain the high boost after HP pump replacement and they can't tear it apart until Tuesday. Just a heads up for you guys taking truck in for...
  12. A

I was hoping for better news... Just had my truck towed back to Dealer. New pump is thumping and clicking like a VP44. 160 miles since repair. No towing. I hope this is not a harbinger of things to come.
  13. A

Got it back this morning, runs well but the boost is higher than before. Higher boost means less MPGs. The explanation I got for the 2020 first in the queue is simple economics. If it hasn't failed then it is a lot cheaper to replace. If it has failed and is still running then the cost to...
  14. A

Well there is good news out there. Had mine inspected May 19th, got the call for parts in on June 20th. Take it in on June 30th for repair, loaner ride included. I'll take before and after shots of the pump when done.