Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CP4 to CP-ISB21S3 (revised CP3) change for 2021 6.7L Diesel Trucks -- Merged Threads

Wayne007

Reaction score
Please refrain from bashing RamCares with vulgar insults.
Sorry, I was just venting out of frustration. I'm retired and this is the most money I've ever spent on anything short of a house. I'm just very frustrated that I probably won't get what I paid for...........a dependable truck that will last me a long time. I still owe 30K on it which is tight on social security, and the lack of communication from them was the last straw. I'll keep quiet now and just use word of mouth to get my message out.

Last edited:

UglyViking

Reaction score
If FCA does nothing about this at least they should allow the owner to install the CP3 conversion kit and not affect the warranty.
I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice. Doing any mods to your truck may void warranty.

With that out of the way, I think that you should be pretty safe with that swap, especially if you're swapping in the direct "no tune" models. FCA may deny warranty claims on the fuel system but I haven't heard of any fuel system issues outside the CP4 glitter bomb. FCA isn't going to come out and publicly state that you can make the swap and retain warranty as it would open them up to issues where users are swapping to 10mm CP3s with tunes and then something bad happens due to poor tune or such and they could potentially be held liable.

The only issues I've heard of from these new 6.7 blocks are the following:
  • CP4 glitter bomb
  • Incorrect oil weight causing issues with the hydraulic lifters
  • Early reports that some of the initial batch of blocks suffered with left over "dust" from the CGI block forging process (I've heard this on a FB group by someone who claims to have the scoop, although I've not read of anyone experiencing a failure due to it)
Outside the above these blocks are pretty tired and true at this point. So long as you're using the correct weight oil I can't see you having an issue. Personally, I'm giving it till the end of August. If I don't hear word from FCA that they are doing a TSB/Recall on the CP4 I'll be making the swap myself, warranty be damned. If I do have to pay out of pocket to rectify this issue I'll be reaching out to whatever law firm ends up taking the case in order to try and recoup cost from the swap. I'll also never purchase a new vehicle from FCA again if that happens, which is a bummer because I think the Gladiator with the 392 would be a dope rig and have always wanted a Challenger. I'm personally not going to cut off my nose to spite my face though. If FCA doesn't come through they won't gain a dime from me from any dealer on new vehicles or maintenance, only warranty work I'll do will be items free to me (like the AC fix) or other recalls.

To each their own, but I don't see a valid reason to losing money on a truck by trading in for a new Ford/GM solely on the idea that FCA screwed them with the CP4. Ford screwed owners previously with their EGR cooler issues, so it's not like they have a great track record. GM had a terrible design on early duramax engines with regards to injector placement. I'm not sure if GM has had similar issues with warranty items and such but frankly I wouldn't put it past any company today. I won't have positive things to say about FCA for sure, but I'm not going to let it hurt my bank account any more than it has to.

mra400ex

Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, this isn't legal advice. Doing any mods to your truck may void warranty.

With that out of the way, I think that you should be pretty safe with that swap, especially if you're swapping in the direct "no tune" models. FCA may deny warranty claims on the fuel system but I haven't heard of any fuel system issues outside the CP4 glitter bomb. FCA isn't going to come out and publicly state that you can make the swap and retain warranty as it would open them up to issues where users are swapping to 10mm CP3s with tunes and then something bad happens due to poor tune or such and they could potentially be held liable.

The only issues I've heard of from these new 6.7 blocks are the following:
  • CP4 glitter bomb
  • Incorrect oil weight causing issues with the hydraulic lifters
  • Early reports that some of the initial batch of blocks suffered with left over "dust" from the CGI block forging process (I've heard this on a FB group by someone who claims to have the scoop, although I've not read of anyone experiencing a failure due to it)
Outside the above these blocks are pretty tired and true at this point. So long as you're using the correct weight oil I can't see you having an issue. Personally, I'm giving it till the end of August. If I don't hear word from FCA that they are doing a TSB/Recall on the CP4 I'll be making the swap myself, warranty be damned. If I do have to pay out of pocket to rectify this issue I'll be reaching out to whatever law firm ends up taking the case in order to try and recoup cost from the swap. I'll also never purchase a new vehicle from FCA again if that happens, which is a bummer because I think the Gladiator with the 392 would be a dope rig and have always wanted a Challenger. I'm personally not going to cut off my nose to spite my face though. If FCA doesn't come through they won't gain a dime from me from any dealer on new vehicles or maintenance, only warranty work I'll do will be items free to me (like the AC fix) or other recalls.

To each their own, but I don't see a valid reason to losing money on a truck by trading in for a new Ford/GM solely on the idea that FCA screwed them with the CP4. Ford screwed owners previously with their EGR cooler issues, so it's not like they have a great track record. GM had a terrible design on early duramax engines with regards to injector placement. I'm not sure if GM has had similar issues with warranty items and such but frankly I wouldn't put it past any company today. I won't have positive things to say about FCA for sure, but I'm not going to let it hurt my bank account any more than it has to.
If you read what I said,,,,, It would be nice is FCA does anything at all, is to not void the warranty if a person goes the CP3 route. That is what I would do if I still had mine. Loved the truck, but had a friend who had their CP4 fail. Being my first DRW it was definitely a very stable towing machine. My plans would be the same as yours if FCA does nothing. I would have put a CP3 on and said to heck with the warranty. Had a chance to get my money out of it and sent it down the road.

UglyViking

Reaction score
If you read what I said,,,,, It would be nice is FCA does anything at all, is to not void the warranty if a person goes the CP3 route. That is what I would do if I still had mine. Loved the truck, but had a friend who had their CP4 fail. Being my first DRW it was definitely a very stable towing machine. My plans would be the same as yours if FCA does nothing. I would have put a CP3 on and said to heck with the warranty. Had a chance to get my money out of it and sent it down the road.
Yeah, I read the comment I quoted. I guess my point was that I just can't see them making any public statement about that. They have already stated publicly numerous times to not do that. I suppose there is a chance they turn around and say it's fine, but I would find it unlikely. The comment was mainly for the benefit of everyone, wasn't trying to state to you explicitly just used it since it was there.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
I've reconsidered. I love this truck too much to swap over this.

My F you still stands, however. F you Stellantis.

Hope they still make no tune CP3 conversions in 4 years. Until then, its Stellantis concern if this thing turds out. Lucky for them I'm taking care of it like a peach.

Going forward crew, remember when anyone on any platform has a concern over a Stellantis product similar to this, to always remind them of how they ghosted us. But egregiously so. Not just ghosted, but put out a public statement, then fully ghosted. Totally worse than if they never said anything at all. If down the road some new product has some type of issue like pre-mature bearing failure, or torque converter clutch falls the F off inside of it, or whatever, we'll know how this company will proceed.

Let me also say I'm highly disappointed with automotive media not latching on to this issue. It's got a six figure view count on this thread alone. Has lots of juicy gossip, and even a statement then ghost by the MFG. This would have made a good story and it would have put extra pressure on Stellantis to do something about it. Instead we get deluged with BS like "Here's the new eventual 4th place seller Tundra rumors!" or "Corvette won't be made in Jetstream blue! Scandal!".

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Our team has recently received an update regarding the C4 fuel pump concerns. We have a solution in progress and the fix can be expected by the end of third quarter. Again, we appreciate your patience at this time. As always, feel free to privately message our team with questions. We are here to help!

Hannah
Ram Cares

g00fy

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! Our team has recently received an update regarding the C4 fuel pump concerns. We have a solution in progress and the fix can be expected by the end of third quarter. Again, we appreciate your patience at this time. As always, feel free to privately message our team with questions. We are here to help!

Hannah
Ram Cares
Thank you for the update. I know this isn't much information, but just the fact that you do communicate now and then helps a lot of us feel a little better about the situation.

gimmie11s

Reaction score

Hannah
Ram Cares

Very good to hear!

UglyViking

Reaction score

Hannah
Ram Cares
Hannah,

I think we are all eagerly awaiting to hear what you have to say. To aleviate some of our concerns can you at least tell us if the service solution that was posted in Comment #1,067 is the solution or is there something else in the works? I understand that you don't want to speak too soon but we are talking over 6 months since this was teased to your comment here today. Can you at least confirm there is something else beyond what I had initially shared?

MikeXM

Reaction score

Hannah
Ram Cares
Thank you Hannah. Thank you RAM.

This renew my trust that RAM will come through with a permanent fix.
That being said, I hope "the fix" is a full scale recall and not just a better pump kit when a CP4 fails.

At least we have a date now. :)

Last edited:

flan

Reaction score
This is one of the perfect example why @RamCares don't wants to communicate with us. They give us a update and someone have to bash them for absolutely no reason. They are simply a messenger and not in the decision-making rank.
It’s understandable why he’s a bit salty, it’s a real issue with bad consequences. Each person handles things differently. I’m more patient knowing that things take time, and parts sourcing etc just isn’t as easy since the first announcement/pre China virus. They have owned up to the issue, both the TSB and the initial announcement confirm that. Of the massive amount of failures I’ve read about I can only recall one being denied warranty and that was because his fuel looked like jell-o. They have been working quicker now than in the beginning with getting CP4 failed trucks back in the road as well.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
It’s understandable why he’s a bit salty, it’s a real issue with bad consequences. Each person handles things differently. I’m more patient knowing that things take time, and parts sourcing etc just isn’t as easy since the first announcement/pre China virus. They have owned up to the issue, both the TSB and the initial announcement confirm that. Of the massive amount of failures I’ve read about I can only recall one being denied warranty and that was because his fuel looked like jell-o. They have been working quicker now than in the beginning with getting CP4 failed trucks back in the road as well.
I was reading NHTSB complaints and one post said he was out of pocket 15K+ FCA blaming fuel contamination. That was in Las Vegas, Nv. I hopeful mine does not grenade before the "Fix" comes out. Just changed my front/rear fuel filters(13K miles) and only found a minor sprinkling of metallic particles in the rear frame canister. Could not find anything in the filters and I dissected them best i could.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
This is one of the perfect example why @RamCares doesn't wants to communicate with us. They give us an update and someone have to bash them for absolutely no reason. They are simply a messenger and not in the decision-making rank.

Pump your brakes Captain Save A'RAM. The only reason they chimed in is because the last few pages got heated with salty comments. This is a PR move in response to customers hitting a loud peak over a 6 month ghost. I did all the "oh thanks for updating us! This is great news!" stuff last time. Fool me once. Until more specific details are released, and not a vague "something is coming" promise to be revealed another bunch of months down the road when the 2022s are out and the 2023 orders start, I'm not thanking anyone.

diablo82

Reaction score
Pump your brakes Captain Save A'RAM. The only reason they chimed in is because the last few pages got heated with salty comments. This is a PR move in response to customers hitting a loud peak over a 6 month ghost. I did all the "oh thanks for updating us! This is great news!" stuff last time. Fool me once. Until more specific details are released, and not a vague "something is coming" promise to be revealed another bunch of months down the road when the 2022s are out and the 2023 orders start, I'm not thanking anyone.
No one tell you to thank anyone here and no one trying to defend anyone. I am simply saying that getting mad at the messenger here is useless. Seriously you think anyone from ramcares really give a damn about all the thanking and crying? They did their job and very much just moved on.

Users who are viewing this thread