Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Exhaust service required see dealer

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Can you please take and post a picture of the new pump they installed? Just curious if it's another CP4.
Of course its a cp4 they dont have a conversion kit yet

flan

Reaction score
Yep redesigned (symmetrical) you can tell by the big dimple machined into the aluminum housing

flan

Reaction score
Yep. Drive it like a diesel truck should be driven. Work it and you will have less problems than if you baby it. As silly as that sounds it is true.

Reddfox77

Reaction score
Sir our 2019 3500 limted dually just gave us this same message. We stopped and it has been taken to the dealer . They are awaiting instructions. Is it software issue our does Ram now need to replace the truck since it only 10 months old.
I have a 2020 ram 2500 with 2000 miles on it and I’m stuck on the side of the road until tomorrow morning and hopefully I can get it towed in. I live in Ohio and am stranded in Jacksonville florida

Reddfox77

Reaction score
Now you've threaten with lawyers. Go that route. Unless there are other issues not stated, you lawyer will inform you of the lemon laws requirements.

I have a 2020 RAM 3500 DRW CC that has not had any issues in 3700 miles.
I am right now having the same problem with a truck that’s one month old

Reddfox77

Reaction score
Bought my 2020 ram 2500 big horn with the 6.7. Drove it today game the exhaust system issue see dealer stalled and left my wife and I stranded in the middle of the road. Truck has 113 miles on it. Owned for less than 24 hours. Traded in my 37000 f250 diesel for this. I’m feeling like I made a mistake. My wife thinks so too and is really pissed. We were supposed to leave to Wyoming this week for vacation in this truck. Having to cancel my trip now...
I traded a two year old gas for this diesel and find it ridiculous to say the least

Talljon

Reaction score
My solution will be to sell my 2020 ram/Cummins 2500 limited and go back to a 3/4 ton gas burner. if and when I get it back from the dealer service department. 5 weeks and counting.

DWG

Reaction score
UPDATE: Just picked up the truck from dealer. I was shocked when I answered the phone to “your truck is ready for pick up”. I was expecting “just calling to update you on your vehicle.” Service guy said the quick turn around was due to RAM not wanting to buy back our new rig and pushing to get it repaired. IDK. I am still skeptical about turning my wife loose in it, and I really don’t want to tow with it anymore. Having your truck just die without warning in traffic almost cost me an accident. With a trailer going down the mountain pass would be catastrophic. Am I just being paranoid or I should I be overly cautious about another issue? Anyone have this work done before and have a repeat?
We use 2020 and 2021 Ram 3500 for car haulers and have a 2020 that was purchased in July and lost the fuel pump at 14k, that took 3 months to get a pump and repair, one the road for a monthy and exhaust sytem warning and limp mode starts, into dealer again, computer upgrade and back out after 2 weeks. Ran 65 miles and again exhaust warning and limp mode, in shop for 2 months waiting for wiring harness, got it back last week and made it 400 miles and again same issue. Stopped at 2 Chrysler dealers between Billings MT and Lubbock Texas for diag and no issues found. Now dead in highway 60 miles from Lubbock TX.

iota

Reaction score
My '21 Limited showed "Exhaust System Service Required See Dealer" on the EVIC today at 427mi on the odometer; still on the first tank of diesel and 50% left on DEF, fuel filter at 100% as well. Truck drove fine for a short trip; after I turned it off and back on, the message was gone.

Hopefully mine doesn't need a fuel pump soon as well, especially since apparently the 2021 trucks have an updated fuel pump design...

Reaction score
I just had this issue on my 2021 Ram 3500 Limited HO.

The warning is a generic one for the P0087 Code for the low fuel rail pressure. When you get the code, it is because your lift pump is not supplying the High Pressure Pump enough fuel, the system begins to surge and then the Nannies lock you out. If you keep going on the CP4 engined trucks, it will grenade the pump... but the new 2021s have the CP3.

I had a paid invoice from my Dealer for service they failed to complete.... replacing my rear Lift Pump Filter. After three weeks and 15,000 miles, the rear filter was clogged and sending crap upstream, causing the limp mode as everyone has seen. It has taken two dealers to figure this out and four filter changes to get the system cleaned out. I am now building a Marine Fuel Polishing system in the bed of the truck to run my 115-gallon Aux tank CLEAN before it goes into the main truck tank under the bed. Hopefully this will solve my issues with fueling clean stuff to the engine. Fingers Crossed!!

Rooster319

Reaction score
Have a 2109 3500HD with just shy of 30,000 on it. Now I do baby the truck, more than I should, but….Got the message. Turned truck off, it didn’t reappear. Got on interstate and hit 102mph to give it a “Hot Run”
As someone else mentioned on a thread. Haven’t seen it rapper yet, but plan to take it into Dodge in the morning.
I have filed a report on the NHTSB site.

Rooster319

Reaction score
Have a 2109 3500HD with just shy of 30,000 on it. Now I do baby the truck, more than I should, but….Got the message. Turned truck off, it didn’t reappear. Got on interstate and hit 102mph to give it a “Hot Run”
As someone else mentioned on a thread. Haven’t seen it rapper yet, but plan to take it into Dodge in the morning.
I have filed a report on the NHTSB site.
Update; took to my local dealer. Tan a code test and got nothing. Ran an update and haven’t seen it comeback yet. Fingers crossed.
Reading the threads, it seems to appear when folks are hauling. It’s still end of winter here so I’m not hauling anything yet. Has anyone else had this issue without towing?

Reaction score
Here's an ***UPDATE***

I figured out the Dealers will never be able to diagnose the code issues I had because all three I went to, were unable to duplicate the fuel flow problems I had because I was towing a 12K# Tiny Home which is like pulling a Parachute down the highway. Another friend of mine who was having the same issues when towing her horse trailer from Northwestern climates, was also having similar issues... wel she stopped by the shop and we have since fixed the problem with her 2020 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO.

The fuel systems on our trucks are so sensitive to fuel impurities, such that the fuel has to be constantly "polished" to make sure there is no debris, no dirt and when the High Pressure Pump pulls harder than the rear filter can offer a fresh stream of clean fuel causing air bubbles, it becomes an issue.

The simple remedy that offers a bonus is a Fuel Polishing System. I have a very similar system on our 52' Sunseeker Predator Yacht that cleans the fuel I buy in remote places like the Bahamas. A simple series of filters and a pump make sure the fuel is constantly recirculated through additional filters before going both to the OEM Truck tank and back into the Aux Tank. Watch the video below for a full explanation of the RDS Tank Install utilizing the Aux Switches to control the system.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Here's an ***UPDATE***

I figured out the Dealers will never be able to diagnose the code issues I had because all three I went to, were unable to duplicate the fuel flow problems I had because I was towing a 12K# Tiny Home which is like pulling a Parachute down the highway. Another friend of mine who was having the same issues when towing her horse trailer from Northwestern climates, was also having similar issues... wel she stopped by the shop and we have since fixed the problem with her 2020 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO.

The fuel systems on our trucks are so sensitive to fuel impurities, such that the fuel has to be constantly "polished" to make sure there is no debris, no dirt and when the High Pressure Pump pulls harder than the rear filter can offer a fresh stream of clean fuel causing air bubbles, it becomes an issue.

The simple remedy that offers a bonus is a Fuel Polishing System. I have a very similar system on our 52' Sunseeker Predator Yacht that cleans the fuel I buy in remote places like the Bahamas. A simple series of filters and a pump make sure the fuel is constantly recirculated through additional filters before going both to the OEM Truck tank and back into the Aux Tank. Watch the video below for a full explanation of the RDS Tank Install utilizing the Aux Switches to control the system.

If you are running out of fuel at the HPFP you need a better lift pump

whitexc

Reaction score
The polishing unit appears to be A solution but not in a cheap (for the average consumer that is) or space saving fashion.

Air Dog for the win.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread