Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shocks

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I know they make them for the larger trucks i have a set on my 05 2500 the 4600s are just much better for the 3/4-1 tons in my experience
I could be wrong, but I think they are pretty much the same shock with the 4600 for stock height trucks and the 5100 for lifted trucks. It has been a few years since a last talked to them.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I think they are pretty much the same shock with the 4600 for stock height trucks and the 5100 for lifted trucks. It has been a few years since a last talked to them.
You can get them both in extended lengths for lifted trucks, my 5100s are smaller diameter than my 4600s thats the biggest difference from what i can tell

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Are they still emulsion shocks if they’re $75 each?

If they are still emulsion shocks, it’s not upgrading. You’re just changing shocks at that point.
They are gas shocks not emulsion but i was a little off on my price its 160$ cad idk what price usd lol

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
They are gas shocks not emulsion but i was a little off on my price its 160$ cad idk what price usd lol
Hint: gas oil shock is an emulsion shock.

Emulsion shocks, whatever they might be name, are fancy cheap shocks

you have to separate the oil and the gas to make a better shock. That’s where the shocks get more expensive.

(Edited. 5100s are not emulsion)

Last edited:

Rama_Lama

Reaction score

5100s and similar are fancy cheap shocks

you have to separate the oil and the gas to make a better shock. That’s where the shocks get more expensive.
I have a question if I may, how do the Fox 2.0 ride? I am hoping just as firm as stock but with less rebound turbulence.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score

5100s and similar are fancy cheap shocks

The 5100 are high pressure monotubes. The gas is separated from the oil by a dividing piston. They are neither emulsion nor bladder-style shocks.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
You can get them both in extended lengths for lifted trucks, my 5100s are smaller diameter than my 4600s thats the biggest difference from what i can tell
The 5100s and the 4600s are both 46mm diameter shocks. The 5100s have valving that can change for road conditions.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The 5100 are high pressure monotubes. The gas is separated from the oil by a dividing piston. They are neither emulsion nor bladder-style shocks.
I did look just now and find a cutaway view of one and yea they have a dividing piston. This is similar to the fox 2.0 IFP and is better than an emulsion shock.

just because a shock is called gas or nitro or high pressure or mono tube doesn’t mean a whole lot.
Monotube just means one tube, no resi.
Nitro / high pressure can just mean it’s an oil shock pressurized with nitrogen which is what an emulsion shock is. Example is the “nitro charger” old man emu shocks in my YJ. They’re emulsion shocks (oil shocks filled with nitrogen)

Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I did look just now and find a cutaway view of one and yea they have a dividing piston. This is similar to the fox 2.0 IFP and is better than an emulsion shock.

just because a shock is called gas or nitro or high pressure or mono tube doesn’t mean a whole lot.
Monotube just means one tube, no resi.
Nitro / high pressure can just mean it’s an oil shock pressurized with nitrogen which is what an emulsion shock is. Example is the “nitro charger” old man emu shocks in my YJ. They’re emulsion shocks (oil shocks filled with nitrogen)
I don't know of any monotube shocks out there that are emulsion. Emulsion shocks are usually of the twin tube variety and even though they are gas shocks they are low-pressure gas shocks. Emulsions shocks work fine until a few miles down the road. LOL

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I don't know of any monotube shocks out there that are emulsion. Emulsion shocks are usually of the twin tube variety and even though they are gas shocks they are low-pressure gas shocks. Emulsions shocks work fine until a few miles down the road. LOL
The factory shocks are emulsion shocks and they’re monotube.. Fox also makes budget shocks that are emulsion shocks, They’re mono tube as well.

Emulsion shocks are just normal cheap shocks. Rancho, procomp etc etc etc emulsion just means gas and oil mixed in the same tube. I.e. no piston separating them. As the shock works, air bubbles are formed because the gas and oil try to mix hence” emulsion “

Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The factory shocks are emulsion shocks and they’re monotube.. Fox also makes budget shocks that are emulsion shocks, They’re mono tube as well.

Emulsion shocks are just normal cheap shocks. Rancho, procomp etc etc etc emulsion just means gas and oil mixed in the same tube. I.e. no piston separating them. As the shock works, air bubbles are formed because the gas and oil try to mix hence” emulsion “
I am very aware of the different shock technologies and how they work. I wasn't aware Fox still made emulsion shocks for trucks. I thought they replaced the line with the IFPs. Thank you for the information. I am curious how high they are pressurized though. I don't run emulsion shocks on my trucks or my Jeeps so I don't pay very much attention to them.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I am very aware of the different shock technologies and how they work. I wasn't aware Fox still made emulsion shocks for trucks. I thought they replaced the line with the IFPs. Thank you for the information. I am curious how high they are pressurized though. I don't run emulsion shocks on my trucks or my Jeeps so I don't pay very much attention to them.
I’m not sure about the psi in the emulsion ones and you’re right they’re older tech and may be not currently produced. My catalog is a 2015 and it has them in it. I’ll shoot a text over to my brother and see if they’re still making them. He’s design engineering manager over Scott’s valley location. They’re phasing out a lot of stuff and working on a lot of things right now

All the fox I have rebuilt or revalved had 200+ psi in them. That’s what I refill them to after i revalve them. You can mess with the nitrogen pressure a little as long as you’re not getting cavitation. Reducing the nitrogen pressure reduces the force at which the shock tube pushes out the shaft. When the shock compresses, the shaft takes up volume inside the shock body. The nitrogen pressure will try to push that shaft back out at force equal to the psi x the displacement. This can be a couple hundred lbs of force especially in a 2.5” shock with a 7/8” shaft. You may not be able to compress these shocks by hand.

Typically, you want to adjust the valves shim stacks and not the nitrogen pressure. the valves are what is doing the work and that’s how you want it.

Anyway I’m rambling now sorry

Last edited:

Squatch

Reaction score
I recently switched from 5100s to fox IFPs and I can tell you the bilsteins are easy to compress by hand and the foxes put up a good fight once mounted on one end and past the mounting point on the other. Foxes caused a lot more cussing, but I like them!

Last edited:

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Have you taken a look at your tire pressure? It may be maxed out for when you are carrying a full load. If you are running empty, you can lower the pressure it will make a difference in ride.
Shocks will make a difference. You dont need some 4" dia., 6 bypass tube shock. Just a good road shock that is valved correctly for your truck.
Fox, King, Bilstien, ADS, all make good shocks that will work on road as well as offroad.

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Also as far as lifts go, if you lift the truck, but dont increase the suspension travel, you have accomplished nothing.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Also as far as lifts go, if you lift the truck, but dont increase the suspension travel, you have accomplished nothing.
That depends. If you change the spring rates and match shock valving to those spring rates you have accomplished a lot with the way the truck handles. The way the suspension cycles is as important as the amount of travel. But it is true, most lift kits don't accomplish that.

Users who are viewing this thread