Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Truck cap/topper/camper shell thread

steve49

Reaction score
I did tie into the wire above the spare for the third brake light, and then ran a #10 red and black wire from the drivers side battery to in the bed. For the shell electric lock, tied into the truck door lock wires under the drivers side door sill to the bed. In my posting further back there is also an A.R.E. wire instructions.

Will_T

Reaction score
And I just realized that with the 5th wheel prep on my truck, I will get both a 7 pin and regular connector in the bed of the truck. So may have a couple of better options other than letting the canopy installer splice into the light fixture.

All this different stuff would sure be a lot easier to figure out if I actually had the truck. Four weeks tomorrow in D1 now!

Will_T

Reaction score
Found it. That is what I saw originally. Starts back at post 106 in this thread. Very good explanations.

Bigwalnuthoney

Reaction score
I read that a topper from 2009+ 1500 or 2010+ 2500/3500 will fit a 2020, I'm assuming 2021 also. Is that true for long bed too or just the short beds? Have a '21 3500 long bed on order, looking for cap options.

Will_T

Reaction score
I read that a topper from 2009+ 1500 or 2010+ 2500/3500 will fit a 2020, I'm assuming 2021 also. Is that true for long bed too or just the short beds? Have a '21 3500 long bed on order, looking for cap options.
I was told that the shells fit 2019 though 2021. But there are additional limits because of the cab high brake light/cameras. I ordered an ARE MX Mid-Rise. The dealer told me he had installed this exact shell on a many 2020s and a couple of 2021s and it fit but was tight to the brake light. He talked about moving the shell back about 1/2" to give more clearance. I was not thrilled with that idea as the main concern I had was water leaks. There is a post back in this thread a ways where someone said since the cameras are useless anyway with a shell, they removed the larger brake light with cameras and replaced it with a smaller one from Amazon. They just stuffed the cameras and wires into the headliner. Then they had plenty of clearance. I may do the same before I pick up my shell.

Gswain

Reaction score
My snugtop super sport showed up the other day. Didnt really want the frameless windows, but i had trouble with the window sliding tracks warping in the heat to where you couldnt open the windows, so i went the frameless route. Overall very impressed with the shell, back glass hatch isnt perfectly aligned but it is perfectly functional. Looks like maybe the jig was off when they drilled the mounting holes, so one side is 1/4" lower.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Update on my ARE Overland topper. I’m at 13 weeks, it was scheduled to ship last Thursday but my rep followed up and it is the line-x type coating on the topper that they are short on. That’s what is holding me up. I’m the oldest in the dealers queue, even some newer orders have been delivered already. I’m not upset about it, I just like to know where I am in the waiting process. New ETA (ship date) April 16.

mcspeed

Reaction score
Ordered my ARE Z cap and arrived in 4 weeks. Was expecting much longer but got lucky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcspeed

Reaction score
Super jealous. The Z Is super nice. Pics?

Installing it right now! Yep it’s a GMC LOL! Almost bought a Cummins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3548826730e0af5f1fcf3306a19de1c4.jpg

BigBoy2500

Reaction score
Looks great! Thinking about getting one. Does the bed camera (if you have one) still work with it on? How’s the fit?
Fit is great! There is a cut out and window for the bed light into the cap which would probably allow the camera to work.

easye515

Reaction score
RSI Smartcap. Had it installed today. I really like it, build quality is excellent.
What size bed do you have? I have the 6'4 and my RSI has a "shelf" where the cap ends, and the tailgate continues. I don't see that on yours.

Users who are viewing this thread