Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rear bumper parking sensor with drop hitch

jeffn

Reaction score
My rear proximity alert beeps constantly in R with my hitch (Bulletproof 6” drop.) With a trailer, the system is turned off, and would not do me much good anyways but I leave the hitch on full time. The bumper has 4 sensors and it seems logical that the 2 middle sensors are the ones picking up the hitch. Has anyone disconnected the 2 middle sensors without having the entire system throw an error? I’m willing to experiment but before I get into it, figured I’d check here first.

I’d like to retain the corner sensors and a functional rear alert system even with my hitch installed. It somewhat amazes me that Ram did not design the system to work with a hitch and no trailer.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
My rear proximity alert beeps constantly in R with my hitch (Bulletproof 6” drop.) With a trailer, the system is turned off, and would not do me much good anyways but I leave the hitch on full time. The bumper has 4 sensors and it seems logical that the 2 middle sensors are the ones picking up the hitch. Has anyone disconnected the 2 middle sensors without having the entire system throw an error? I’m willing to experiment but before I get into it, figured I’d check here first.

I’d like to retain the corner sensors and a functional rear alert system even with my hitch installed. It somewhat amazes me that Ram did not design the system to work with a hitch and no trailer.
No if one is out they all are.... mine used to do the same now it does not if the system is off it is quiet its odd as i changed nothing

Cseybert

Reaction score
Adjust the sensitivity of the rear sensors.

Millmutt

Reaction score
I don’t understand why people leave their hitch on for an occasional use. If you tow something every few days, fine, just turn off the rear park assist.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score

Ickabod

Reaction score
From the manual. Edited...:
1615827066493.png

Last edited:

Viper67

Reaction score
I think you missed what your quoting. We are talking about the hitch - that’s in the rear. The FCw is FORWARD collision warning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I don’t understand why people leave their hitch on for an occasional use. If you tow something every few days, fine, just turn off the rear park assist.
Because........it’s our choice. Here in flyover country it is rare to see a truck without the hitch.

Millmutt

Reaction score
Because........it’s our choice. Here in flyover country it is rare to see a truck without the hitch.
I understand it a choice as well as the whole rear end collision thing . The choice is yours, you either want rear park assist or a trailer hitch, I guess maybe Ram doesn’t want you to have both.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I understand it a choice as well as the whole rear end collision thing . The choice is yours, you either want rear park assist or a trailer hitch, I guess maybe Ram doesn’t want you to have both.
Problem is with park assist off it still beeps at times

Will_T

Reaction score
Ranch Hand has an adhesive back cap to cover any sensor that you want to deactivate.
I put one on the sensors on each side of the trailer hitch. I did the same with the front sensors that my Ranch Hand Guard sets off. Works perfectly.
Sensor cover tabs
Interesting. I wonder why those would not just make the sensor think something was very close and just alarm constantly?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder why those would not just make the sensor think something was very close and just alarm constantly?
A plain black cover will not work and will sound the alarm. I'm assuming these have some circuitry or device that tricks the sensor. The first ones I put on in 2016 were silver. Ranch Hand did not charge me because they said they weren't working 100%. That is not working on all makes of sensors and they were working on improvements. Seems their improvements were successful.

Last edited:

kxnate

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. I have a 4" drop hitch in my receiver and it does not trigger my backup alert??

Users who are viewing this thread