Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone have details on TSB 18-010-21?

thestuarts

Reaction score
My truck was in the shop to get the suspension module updated, but the dealer also installed a PCM update for TSB 18-010-21. I haven't been able to find any information on this TSB on the NHTSA site or the CarComplaints.com web site.

Does anyone have a copy of TSB 18-010-21?

The service technician noted that my PCM version went from 52401932AI (from TSB 18-059-20) to 52401932AK.

SFC

Reaction score
Looks like it's a transmission update for both 68RFE and Aisin.

2019 DJ 6.7L PCM 68RFE ASYM 50 STATE DJ - RAM 2500 PICKUP
2019 D2 6.7L PCM AISIN ASYM 50 STATE D2 - RAM 3500 PICKUP

thestuarts

Reaction score
Looks like it's a transmission update for both 68RFE and Aisin.

Thanks. My truck drives really well after TSB 18-010-21 (PCM) and TSB 21-002-21 (TCM). The shifting feels much better overall.

Plumber

Reaction score
How did your truck shift before .? Mine at slow speed down shift takes too long. Especially 2nd to 1st at slight uphill up our driveway. Also shifting in general seems slow\slip like !!
anybody else ?

thestuarts

Reaction score
How did your truck shift before .? Mine at slow speed down shift takes too long. Especially 2nd to 1st at slight uphill up our driveway. Also shifting in general seems slow\slip like !!
anybody else ?

My truck shifted horribly when I drove it off the lot in August 2019, but since then I had Transmission Control Module (TCM) updated 3 times:
  1. TSB 21-041-19 in December, 2019
  2. TSB 21-001-20 in January, 2020
  3. TSB 21-002-21 in March, 2021
Every time TCM updated was installed, the transmission shifted a little better. The latest update (TSB 21-002-21) is the best, but I still experience weird shifting when going from 2nd to 1st when going uphill just like you described.

I do recommend getting TSB 21-002-21 and TSB 18-010-21 installed on your truck. This is the best combo of TCM and PCM so far.

The Aisin transmission will always shift slow/slip compared to a 68RFE or Ford/GM transmissions. It's just the way it's engineered, and there are minimal tuning options available. Matt at Optimal Welding advertises a tune with these features:
  • 2nd gear lockup in tow haul mode.
  • Much faster and more firm shifts. Better shift points to prevent lugging.
But, it is unclear if those features work with the Aisin or just the 68RFE. I suspect those features don't work with the Aisin. I tried working with Matt @ Optimal to get some more details, but he wasn't willing to answer my questions. He simply said , "Sorry I wont be able to help with your questions." I suspect the crackdown on tuners is limiting what Matt is willing to say about what his tunes do.

Eddie at Eddie's Life on YouTube also mentioned that Matt's customer service has been lacking, so he switched to another tuner company.

John Jensen

Reaction score
It's my understanding there are no Aisin upgrades available from anyone except Aisin. Every legitimate tuner is working to get an Aisin mod but no one has been successful so far.

thestuarts

Reaction score
It's my understanding there are no Aisin upgrades available from anyone except Aisin. Every legitimate tuner is working to get an Aisin mod but no one has been successful so far.

That's my understanding as well, EXCEPT Matt (from Optimal Welding) mentioned in November of 2019 (linked) that he was working on Aisin tunes. Now, Matt's advertising these transmission tuning features for the 2019+ (HO included):
So, it isn't clear if Matt figured out how to tune the Aisin. He's not answering questions. He told me, "Sorry I wont be able to help with your questions."

John Jensen

Reaction score
That's my understanding as well, EXCEPT Matt (from Optimal Welding) mentioned in November of 2019 (linked) that he was working on Aisin tunes. Now, Matt's advertising these transmission tuning features for the 2019+ (HO included):
So, it isn't clear if Matt figured out how to tune the Aisin. He's not answering questions. He told me, "Sorry I wont be able to help with your questions."
HO included tells me he's either done it or made an error on his web site.
I hope he's done it, that means Calibrated Power, my tuner, might be near success also.

John Jensen

Reaction score
I went to his web site and it says:
Transmission tuning included free no extra charge for 68rfe trucks.

I didn't see anything that spoke to HO tranny tunning. Did I miss what you found or ??

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
there is no aisin tuning of any kind. he may be manipulating the defuel between shifts or something. I tried his tune and promptly removed it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
there is no aisin tuning of any kind. he may be manipulating the defuel between shifts or something. I tried his tune and promptly removed it.
I have heard his tunes are terrible is it as bad as they say? Who do you use for tunes i know your exhaust system is lighter than mine thats what i will be doing in the near future

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
it was only on the truck for maybe a hundred miles. lots of timing rattle, non linear throttle, across the table. I will say that I and my peeps were very early adopters, and I haven't tried any of those tunes since then. plenty to read about, though. I use efi live. that's all I'll say. you can find tuners but digging is required.

thestuarts

Reaction score
I went to his web site and it says:
Transmission tuning included free no extra charge for 68rfe trucks.

I didn't see anything that spoke to HO tranny tunning. Did I miss what you found or ??

There are two ways to interpret that statement.
1. Transmission tuning is free for 68RFE, but tuning costs extra for Aisin.
2. Transmission tuning is free for 68RFE, but tuning isn't available for Aisin.

I don't know how to interpret his statement because he won't answer my questions.

I want to clarify that I won't use Optimal Welding's tunes. Many people have had problems with them. I only mentioned Optima's tunes as an example of someone who *might* have figured out how to tune the Aisin.

Plumber

Reaction score
So I guess to the dealer I go !
there’s also a traction control button on dash ( 2020 3500 w/Ho motor ) what exactly does that do ??

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
So I guess to the dealer I go !
there’s also a traction control button on dash ( 2020 3500 w/Ho motor ) what exactly does that do ??

Electronic Stability Control.

Press once to partially disable. Press and hold for 5 seconds while stopped for full disable.

This is all covered in the owners manual.

1615656266329.png
1615656393375.png

John Jensen

Reaction score
This may help. Says what Brutal posted in a different format.

Attachments

• 21a-ESC & TCS Description - JFJ.pdf
    63.6 KB · Views: 54

2019_Ram

Reaction score
My truck was in the shop to get the suspension module updated, but the dealer also installed a PCM update for TSB 18-010-21. I haven't been able to find any information on this TSB on the NHTSA site or the CarComplaints.com web site.

Does anyone have a copy of TSB 18-010-21?

The service technician noted that my PCM version went from 52401932AI (from TSB 18-059-20) to 52401932AK.

This was done on my truck due to it stumbling badly on cold starts (20f and below), until the truck was put in gear or entered high idle. However, the cold weather had been gone since this was done and I have been unable to test that aspect of it.

But I did notice a significant difference in the way the truck drove after this update. And it was for the better. It seemed to be much more responsive and just all around better driving manners. It also seemed to be getting better mpg, but until recently I wasn't able to confirm that. I finished the first trip of around 500 miles empty since this update. Previously the MPG for this trip would typically fall in the 18.8 to 19.3 range. This time, hand calculated, I was showing 20.3MPG. So far, I am very happy with this update.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This was done on my truck due to it stumbling badly on cold starts (20f and below), until the truck was put in gear or entered high idle. However, the cold weather had been gone since this was done and I have been unable to test that aspect of it.

But I did notice a significant difference in the way the truck drove after this update. And it was for the better. It seemed to be much more responsive and just all around better driving manners. It also seemed to be getting better mpg, but until recently I wasn't able to confirm that. I finished the first trip of around 500 miles empty since this update. Previously the MPG for this trip would typically fall in the 18.8 to 19.3 range. This time, hand calculated, I was showing 20.3MPG. So far, I am very happy with this update.
I found the same with mine after the update

Users who are viewing this thread