Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered my Banks Pedal Monster today. What to expect?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I've got a 2020 Mega cab dually, I drive hot shot, I've got no problems and I tow over 24k lbs on a regular basis.
Usually, at least in my experience, the dead pedal rears it’s ugly head if you have to get on and off, back on the throttle quickly. Towing, usually we are not in those situations, at least I am not.(more conscious of the trailer and load behind us and planning way ahead.) When it happens, it is very unnerving, to say the least.

D

Deleted member 80

Usually, at least in my experience, the dead pedal rears it’s ugly head if you have to get on and off, back on the throttle quickly. Towing, usually we are not in those situations, at least I am not.(more conscious of the trailer and load behind us and planning way ahead.) When it happens, it is very unnerving, to say the least.
I agree with this assessment. Nearly every time it has happened, even while towing, it was because someone made a banzai move in front of me, causing me to momentarily back off the pedal, then upon rolling back into it the engine room is out to lunch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aword69

Reaction score
What part # are you purchasing for just the Pedal Monster? I have a 2020 Bighorn CC 3500 SRW HO. Everything I can find says its for 2018 and older. Any help would be appreciated.

Tinner

Reaction score
This should help you

Attachments

• 5E2FE6EC-CB90-4B5C-84D3-32793F0286CE.jpeg
    5E2FE6EC-CB90-4B5C-84D3-32793F0286CE.jpeg
    389 KB · Views: 70

Thorvald

Reaction score
OK I’m still not getting the point of this device. From everything that I’ve seen and watched Gaile’s videos all it does is work like exponential on a RC transmitter. It simply reduces the amount of travel required to get full throttle on the pedal. While yes this would make the truck seem more lively but will be the same as just burying the pedal each time and saving the $300.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but is that all this thing does? Yes he’s had a lot of great circuitry the turns it off with it’s in reverse and a few other things but if all it does is make my gas pedal more sensitive big deal. It doesn’t solve any sort of ECU issue off the line. Unless of course there’s some circuitry in the actual throttle pedal switch itself that is buggering things up.

The iDash I totally get but I still haven’t decided whether the Edge CTS3. Or the iDash is better.

bigrobtemp

Reaction score
It works like you described but burying the pedal won't always get the result you want. I like it and it works well. I have no intention of deleting this truck and I like the response I get from the pedal monster.

Thorvald

Reaction score
OK thanks, I’m pretty sure they have a satisfaction guarantee so I may give it a try myself.

Justice12t

Reaction score
I’ve got it (PM) on my 18. I like it and it’s fun but honestly I have it off most of the time. I work from home mostly...ordered a 21 and traded the 18 so it doesn’t get run much. Anyone interested in a used one I’d sell it for a reasonable price...lol...I also have the iDash x2 and really enjoy them. I don’t have aftermarket tires or anything...I just use them to watch EGTs and what not. Those will be going into the 21 for sure. Good products and they update them every few months.

bearcat

Reaction score
Installed the Pedal Monster on my 3500 HO 3 weeks ago and it makes a difference it gets rid of the dead pedal

Cummins3

Reaction score
After seeing this, I will be getting it with the upgraded iDash 1.8 Data Monster. Now to find a nice looking gauge mount.
How did u make out with a gauge mount.... I'm looking for too when I buy my idash... I don't like the suction cup from banks but looks like it's only option... I've seen one with the 3 gauges but don't want 3

ironmike

Reaction score
Here's my experience on the pedal monster. Dead pedal is 100% alive and well after pedal install and testing in all variations. Pedal "Lag" from a stop is ultimately minimized or gone. Out of the hole, it is a completely different response from stock. For those of you who have this installed, try this. Have a good stretch of test road where you can stop numerous times without impeding on any traffic. Switch through ALL 4 settings. As you are traveling 25-30-40 miles per hour with throttle applied, completely remove your foot from throttle, then smash the throttle to the floor immediately. "THIS" is your dead pedal symptom everyone is trying to explain. The 2,3,4, 5 seconds of the throttle response it takes to actually start spooling the turbo and actually the engine start to accelerate.. This is PCM programming issue from FCA... I can make this happen like clockwork every single time! The pedal monster will not eliminate any dead pedal symptoms nor does it advertise this. It does however change the sensitivity levels of the "Potentiometer" / "Volume Control" / "Throttle Control" / "Foot Pedal". Hence, we think it eliminates dead pedal, which it does not.
Just my experience... Hope this help y'all that it can! I really do like the pedal change with the Banks unit. It does what it exactly says it will do! My girl even was amazed at the difference it feels!!
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Also does anyone have any insight to legitimately eliminating "Dead pedal". I have corresponded with a tuner company that mentioned their ECM re flash will remove some of it but not 100%.
THANKS!!

Last edited:

Thorvald

Reaction score
Sorry Mike, want to make sure I understand. So even with the Pedal Commander, it still has a lag when accelerating while under power? (i.e. Passing?). However it is great from a standing start?

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Here's my experience on the pedal monster. Dead pedal is 100% alive and well after pedal install and testing in all variations. Pedal "Lag" from a stop is ultimately minimized or gone. Out of the hole, it is a completely different response from stock. For those of you who have this installed, try this. Have a good stretch of test road where you can stop numerous times without impeding on any traffic. Switch through ALL 4 settings. As you are traveling 25-30-40 miles per hour with throttle applied, completely remove your foot from throttle, then smash the throttle to the floor immediately. "THIS" is your dead pedal symptom everyone is trying to explain. The 2,3,4, 5 seconds of the throttle response it takes to actually start spooling the turbo and actually the engine start to accelerate.. This is PCM programming issue from FCA... I can make this happen like clockwork every single time! The pedal monster will not eliminate any dead pedal symptoms nor does it advertise this. It does however change the sensitivity levels of the "Potentiometer" / "Volume Control" / "Throttle Control" / "Foot Pedal". Hence, we think it eliminates dead pedal, which it does not.
Just my experience... Hope this help y'all that it can! I really do like the pedal change with the Banks unit. It does what it exactly says it will do! My girl even was amazed at the difference it feels!!
Let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Also does anyone have any insight to legitimately eliminating "Dead pedal". I have corresponded with a tuner company that mentioned their ECM re flash will remove some of it but not 100%.
THANKS!!
You are spot on! That is the best definition put into laymen’s terms. Scary as hell when it does it in traffic!

Tinner

Reaction score
THANKS!!
The hesitation I see is the transmission is delaying to shift down...I put it in sixth gear so I can see what gear it’s in and it hesitates to shift..as soon as it shifts it goes...this is why you don’t see it from a dead stop since it’s already in first

Thorvald

Reaction score
Hmm, as a temp work around can we manually shift down and then floor it? (Not a good work around but just curious). Wish I was driving right now to test instead of behind a desk lol.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
Usually I get the dead pedal if indecisive when turning across traffic, for instance. A quick on the throttle , off the throttle, on the throttle and you’ll enjoy the dead pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread