Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 squeal at start up / Chirping Noise - merged threads

Ram 19$

Reaction score
I think it is the doughnuts and the exhaust connections where the exhaust attaches to the headers. I also sprayed mine with a gel lube and loosened up the bolts and retightened. The noise is almost gone at start up. It went from a really bad squeal to a slight squeal now. I am going to make gaskets for mine. Right now it is all metal to metal.

Ram 19$

Reaction score
I think it is the doughnuts and the exhaust connections where the exhaust attaches to the headers. I also sprayed mine with a gel lube and loosened up the bolts and retightened. The noise is almost gone at start up. It went from a really bad squeal to a slight squeal now. I am going to make gaskets for mine. Right now it is all metal to metal.
I am just glad it goes away after it warms up. Can you imagine it doing all the time

VENO

Reaction score
ALL, I have mentioned this squeak/chirp/exhaust before. I took the complaint to RAM Customer Care. Here is what happened: The truck went in 3 times to look at the noise. Dealer said it was normal to which I disagree as it goes away after the truck reaches some kind of temperature, so the noise is not normal - not there all the time. Exhaust theory seems as plausible as any and the dealer did say they had to remove an exhaust to service a transmission on a 2500 and made the noise worse. They had to go back in and fix that - So, it is clear to me, there is something going on with the exhaust. Because I made a "case" with customer care, I was able to get a quick appt and have them look at it for a 3rd time. The tech said they conversed with Corporate and that Corporate acknowledges the noise, but there is no fix for it yet. (I read that as RAM does not want the hassle or cost of recalling the trucks to fix the exhaust). So, I encourage all of you across the country to get a case opened up with Corporate and have them look at your 2500. If we get enough people, they will be much more likely to want to fix it. After all this impacts sales, reliability & service perceptions. Obviously, if there are enough people with the problem on their 2500 truck, we can get action thru numbers. Hope this helps! Veno

Ram 19$

Reaction score
You are correct, nothing will be done at any dealership. The problem I have found is at the connection of the headers to the exhaust. It is all metal to metal. I loosened mine and re tighten and the squeaking is less now. I think it is the flat pieces that the bolts travel through to hold the exhaust to the headers. If you where to make some kind of heat resistant gasket that those could rest against instead of them just resting against the exhaust flange, that would help. Like I said, everything right now is all metal to metal.
Just my thoughts as what I have seen and experiment with so far.

Ram 19$

Reaction score
Another note. The exhaust is flared out to mate up with the headers at that point aswell and that is also metal to metal.

VENO

Reaction score
Another note. The exhaust is flared out to mate up with the headers at that point aswell and that is also metal to metal.
Good information. Seems like an easy fix for Dodge/Ram to make a gasket to solve the problem and as I say unless we all get together and go at them in numbers, nothing is likely to happen.

Squatch

Reaction score
Just to play devils advocate, this isn't a new engine or a new problem. This has been going on since the 6.4 has been put in these trucks. Being it hasn't been fixed in the 6 years that this engine has been put in the Ram HD says to me that no matter how much you raise a stink, they are not going to work on fixing it in your truck cause it isn't a problem to their bottom line, it isn’t a problem for your safety and to most it isn’t a problem at all. Our best bet is an aftermarket solution or a DIY solution, cause im not holding my breath for FCA to fix this, they cant even get body mounts figured out.

VENO

Reaction score
That's a way, but I suggest we go at them in numbers and I believe that will get results. Bad press on the web gets attention. I have a friend who has a 2016 and his does not make the noise? I'll keep researching and as you say perhaps we will find out own solution. In the mean time, its a numbers game. Thanks.

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
That's a way, but I suggest we go at them in numbers and I believe that will get results. Bad press on the web gets attention. I have a friend who has a 2016 and his does not make the noise? I'll keep researching and as you say perhaps we will find out own solution. In the mean time, its a numbers game. Thanks.

Haha...My dealer said he didn't here it when he started mine up.

Atomic Ram

Reaction score
Just to play devils advocate, this isn't a new engine or a new problem. This has been going on since the 6.4 has been put in these trucks. Being it hasn't been fixed in the 6 years that this engine has been put in the Ram HD says to me that no matter how much you raise a stink, they are not going to work on fixing it in your truck cause it isn't a problem to their bottom line, it isn’t a problem for your safety and to most it isn’t a problem at all. Our best bet is an aftermarket solution or a DIY solution, cause im not holding my breath for FCA to fix this, they cant even get body mounts figured out.

Agreed. I had a Tundra prior to this truck and it had the infamous cam tower leak at 14,000 miles. That problem has plagued the 5.7 iforce engine since it was put into production, and Toyota has never done anything about it - and it would be a simple fix, too.
I'll keep monitoring threads like these until an aftermarket solution comes along. Until then, it doesn't bother me much - especially since it only seems to happen on cold starts.

surmap5923

Reaction score
Brand new 2020 PW, and it sounds like crap at startup. I thought it went away when it warmed up, until I went under an overpass with all the windows down. It is still there. RAM should be ashamed of itself.

DealerTech

Reaction score
So, I am a dealer tech trying to investigate this noise and I want to come on here and save my fellow advisors, techs and dealer personnel from the unfair judgment you are passing on them. Yes, this is happening on all of our lot cars, there is no fix proposed by FCA yet, nor any indication if they have an open case via TSB. Sometimes the noise doesn't do it, it definitely seems to be ambient temperature related. This is an issue for engineering, you are expecting something from a dealership they cannot give. We don't design and build them, we maintain and repair them. The dealership isn't blowing you off, the advisor isn't blowing you off, we just have no fix for this at this point. We understand it is annoying and you want a resolution but you are asking the wrong people. You need to contact FCA. It currently looks like we are facing a design issue, dealers do no design and redesign, they do not have that authority or ability. So if the fix is to install a redesigned part, we need to get a redesigned part first to install. It would be nice if we were treated like humans and with respect and not accused of blowing you off simply because we have no ability to provide a resolution yet. It certainly makes me less motivated to do the research that led me here in an attempt to satisfy a customer. Yes, I joined just to say that.

DealerTech

Reaction score
Furthermore, the output is only as good as the input. Since this noise is "normal" and by "normal" in the auto repair industry, we mean this noise is how they come, we may not be listening for this based on your description. It was a "belt squeal" complaint that my current job came in for and there was no belt squeal and therefore, I said I do not hear it. He said let me show you and when he did, I got under the truck and found this is coming from the exhaust. The more details you give the more likely the tech, who did not do the write up, knows what your complaint is. So if you are getting "no problem found" or "can't hear it" then be an adult and have an adult conversation and ask to speak to the tech or offer to point it out and you will fair much better.

Squatch

Reaction score
To me, I think a lot of the frustration is born from the concept of having to use a middle man service advisor to communicate to the guy actually working on your truck. Tech doesn’t get the whole story and owner doesn’t get a good explanation. That is why dealers are so frustrating to deal with. I can’t look my mechanic in the eye and get things done. That is why I don’t take my car back to a dealer cause I want someone I know and trust touching my truck if anyone else touches it at all.

DealerTech

Reaction score
To me, I think a lot of the frustration is born from the concept of having to use a middle man service advisor to communicate to the guy actually working on your truck. Tech doesn’t get the whole story and owner doesn’t get a good explanation. That is why dealers are so frustrating to deal with. I can’t look my mechanic in the eye and get things done. That is why I don’t take my car back to a dealer cause I want someone I know and trust touching my truck if anyone else touches it at all.
As someone who has both done tech and advisor work at FCA, I assure you, you don't want the tech being the guy you talk to. Most of them are more abrasive than pine cones. What you really are in need of is dealers to hire techs with customer service skills as advisors who can ask you the right questions and document the information in a manner the techs can use. As the industry currently stands the emphasis is on advisors to be salesman rather than car knowledgeable service personnel.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who has both done tech and advisor work at FCA, I assure you, you don't want the tech being the guy you talk to. Most of them are more abrasive than pine cones. What you really are in need of is dealers to hire techs with customer service skills as advisors who can ask you the right questions and document the information in a manner the techs can use. As the industry currently stands the emphasis is on advisors to be salesman rather than car knowledgeable service personnel.

Truth.

My oldest son, a former Audi Master Tech and team lead at Audi, and then after a lateral move, whatever they call that at Mercedes, just moved into an SA role, trying to position himself for Service Manager in a few years. Hopefully he can be supportive of the customers without the dealer coming down on him. I know he'll be a great SA if they let him.

Users who are viewing this thread