Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Clearance Alert on UConnect ?

jakebrake

Reaction score
I have a 2019 3500 LH with the 12" UConnect. Is there an alert warning of low clearance overpasses, or software we can update with. I've spent some time looking, and haven't seen anything so far.
Thanks

Last edited:

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
You would have to find a trucking specific GPS unit or software for your phone to have that option.

Splzhaul

Reaction score
A Garmin does have a truck specific GPS that will give you all what you are looking for. They are fairly inexpensive as well a couple hundred dollars.

D

Deleted member 80

I have a Rand McNally 7" tablet RV GPS, and you set all your parameters.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
P.S. As to other NAV apps, just know that Google Maps and Waze are currently the only apps that will run/display on Android Auto. Which means you won't be able to see them on your Uconnect screen.

Nick

Reaction score
Get a truckers Atlas . They list all low bridges by route and state . $15

Distillusion

Reaction score
P.S. As to other NAV apps, just know that Google Maps and Waze are currently the only apps that will run/display on Android Auto. Which means you won't be able to see them on your Uconnect screen.
Waze is supposed to let you configure your vehicle height and then route you accordingly. I don't know if it provides alerts, but the claim is that you avoid the low clearance routes. Similar to the Garmin routing, I guess.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Waze is supposed to let you configure your vehicle height and then route you accordingly. I don't know if it provides alerts, but the claim is that you avoid the low clearance routes. Similar to the Garmin routing, I guess.

Really? Is that a new thing? Now I have to go look... Dammit, left my phone downstairs.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
I used to use this one when I had a 40' motorhome. It saved me from possibly a catastrophe/embarrassing U-turns a few times. I liked it because it was crowd sourced at the time and besides major state and federal highways it included state routes, farm to market, and county roads. I used it on a Garmin but now it says it works with multiple brand GPS units, Android/Apple, and some GM in car systems.....but not uConnect.

Last edited:

Nick

Reaction score
Is that like a book? On paper? They still make those? :p
They do and they are well worth it . You can look at your whole route much better than you can with GPS . GPS is fine but it is always better to have a back up . Then again it may be too much of a challenge to some to have to study a map without a voice telling you how to get there

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

All I'm seeing is Private (no special restrictions), Taxi, Motorcycle, and Electric... nothing about RVs or setting vehicle height...
I can avoid tolls, ferries, freeways, dirt roads and difficult intersections.

mlink

Reaction score
Speaking of the above... man, what's still up with the "car quality" navigation systems on GM, Ford & RAM 3500s?? This has been an issue for at least 25 years of purchasing dualies for towing large (and high) 5th Wheel trailers.

The big three are currently competing with each other (especially GMC) touting every conceivable "towing technology feature" such as cameras and software - but how about actual navigation software version that acknowledges that people aren't paying $70, 80, 90K for a DRW truck just because they love the ride quality... Imagine RAM is building 3500s with Max Tow Package with a "Jeep quality" navigation system??

How about a system that has RV and trailering attributes similar to what the cheapo self-contained RV or trucker units have?? Amazing.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Speaking of the above... man, what's still up with the "car quality" navigation systems on GM, Ford & RAM 3500s?? This has been an issue for at least 25 years of purchasing dualies for towing large (and high) 5th Wheel trailers.

The big three are currently competing with each other (especially GMC) touting every conceivable "towing technology feature" such as cameras and software - but how about actual navigation software version that acknowledges that people aren't paying $70, 80, 90K for a DRW truck just because they love the ride quality... Imagine RAM is building 3500s with Max Tow Package with a "Jeep quality" navigation system??

How about a system that has RV and trailering attributes similar to what the cheapo self-contained RV or trucker units have?? Amazing.
Even the installed dash GPS units for expensive class A coaches are not as good as the stand alone RV GPS units. And if you have a tablet with GPS available, CoPiliot is a good software.

You'd be amazed how inaccurate the DOT data is across all government levels.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
IMO the 'quality' of most NAV functions offered by car manufacturers is straight up crap, I'd rather them focus on vehicle improvement.
I'd rather have a good HU and I'll rely on the phone apps to get me where I need to go.

Users who are viewing this thread