Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37" tire on stock PW?

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
A few questions for all of you.

I don't see anyone with 37" tires on a stock 2019+ PW. Is this because they don't fit? Can you get them to fit with some minor fender molding? I seem to remember the last gen PW would fit 37" with no modifications.

From reading some of the posts it appears that a 35" tire will fit in the spare tire carrier. Will a deflated 37" fit?

Thanks all.
I currently own a 2019 5th gen 1500 Laramie that I bought in 2018. Looking to upgrade to a PW or a TRX (waiting on TRX specs to be revealed).
My current truck:
IMG_9267 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9267 (1).jpg
    IMG_9267 (1).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 25

PGHChris81

Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done. I've seen a few on here with just 2500's and 37's. Should be a bit taller with the PW. I would just be wary of rubbing on the suspension components without a different wheel backspace.

g00fy

Reaction score
I'm sure it can be done. I've seen a few on here with just 2500's and 37's. Should be a bit taller with the PW. I would just be wary of rubbing on the suspension components without a different wheel backspace.

You wouldn't happen to remember a user or thread posted about how well 37's fit would you? Seriously considering a set, but want to know what's involved first.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
I'm sure you could run 37's with the correct backspacing.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
A few questions for all of you.

I don't see anyone with 37" tires on a stock 2019+ PW. Is this because they don't fit? Can you get them to fit with some minor fender molding? I seem to remember the last gen PW would fit 37" with no modifications.

From reading some of the posts it appears that a 35" tire will fit in the spare tire carrier. Will a deflated 37" fit?

Thanks all.
I currently own a 2019 5th gen 1500 Laramie that I bought in 2018. Looking to upgrade to a PW or a TRX (waiting on TRX specs to be revealed).
My current truck:
View attachment 6012

Nice looking truck - link your sources because most of my research doesn't coincide with yours. 4th and "5th" gen PWs can fit 35s with no trimming, 37s will require some remolding/light trimming/different rims to get a more accommodating offset (that's for no rubbing on road and flexed). I've seen one person squeeze 35"s in the spare tire area fully deflated - 37s are absolutely a no go there.

OA

@JC

Reaction score
The Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50r17 on stock rims on my 20 PW fits perfectly in the stock spare location with a full load of air. Nothing bigger would squeeze in there.

Omar RVA

Reaction score
The Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50r17 on stock rims on my 20 PW fits perfectly in the stock spare location with a full load of air. Nothing bigger would squeeze in there.

Interesting - the two threads I saw were with falken wild peaks (35x12.5 on stock rims). Said they had to pull the valve core and shove it beyond where the spare lifter hit resistance.

OA

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Got my 35's today on the PW. The 35" would not fit perfectly in the spare tire location. It's a little crooked, but works. Tried to get it to fit in straight and flush, but couldn't. Hits the left side part of the frame.

Don't see how anyone could get a 35" to fit in there perfectly flush and level. Perhaps if you bend the heat shield it will fit. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Got my 35's today on the PW. The 35" would not fit perfectly in the spare tire location. It's a little crooked, but works. Tried to get it to fit in straight and flush, but couldn't. Hits the left side part of the frame.

Don't see how anyone could get a 35" to fit in there perfectly flush and level. Perhaps if you bend the heat shield it will fit. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

I ended up removing the heat shield and cutting the top horizontal bracket off. This allows the heat shield to fit and the spare 35" fit flush and level.

Still not sure how some of the people here are getting the 35" tire to fit correctly without modding the heat shield.

REYoungJr

Reaction score
I ended up removing the heat shield and cutting the top horizontal bracket off. This allows the heat shield to fit and the spare 35" fit flush and level.

Still not sure how some of the people here are getting the 35" tire to fit correctly without modding the heat shield.
I too have been unable to get my 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock rim to fit flat. I had to get the front in over the track bar first and then the rear stops when it hits the hitch receiver. I was going to try modifying the heat shield at some point to get it to fit better, but have not had the time so far.

Do you have any pics of the modification you made to the heat shield you could share? I suspect the heat shield location must vary a little from truck to truck, which would explain why some get the 35s to fit flat and others like you and I cannot.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I too have been unable to get my 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers on the stock rim to fit flat. I had to get the front in over the track bar first and then the rear stops when it hits the hitch receiver. I was going to try modifying the heat shield at some point to get it to fit better, but have not had the time so far.

Do you have any pics of the modification you made to the heat shield you could share? I suspect the heat shield location must vary a little from truck to truck, which would explain why some get the 35s to fit flat and others like you and I cannot.

Yes, same with me. Once you modify the heat shield everything should clear. It would have to be a very big variance in the heat shields to clear a 35" properly. I suspect many people either don't care or don't know their spare is not fitting properly. Perhaps the shop did it and didn't tell them.

You could probably do this if you just banged the crap out of the heat shield. Not my cup of tea.

This diagram isn't exactly like ours, but very similar. The red line is where I cut mine. I left a little overhang so that it still wraps around the top and rests on the tire a little.
  1. So drop the spare tire
  2. Pull the heat shield (10mm x6 bolts)
  3. Install spare correctly (requires a little elbow grease, but once you pass the track bar and hitch it fits easily)
  4. Cut heat shield (I used my angle grinder)
  5. Install heat shield with spare already in position (You will now only use 4 of the bolts)
  6. Enjoy life knowing you have a full size spare that fits correctly.
InkedI2297362_8_LI.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg
IMG_0042.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg

Last edited:

@JC

Reaction score
Mine fits perfectly without modification and REYoungJr can vouch as I sent him pics to prove it. Pretty sure Brutal's 35s fit without modification as well. There might be something to his variation theory.

Yes, same with me. Once you modify the heat shield everything should clear. It would have to be a very big variance in the heat shields to clear a 35" properly. I suspect many people either don't care or don't know their spare is not fitting properly. Perhaps the shop did it and didn't tell them.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Mine fits perfectly without modification and REYoungJr can vouch as I sent him pics to prove it. Pretty sure Brutal's 35s fit without modification as well. There might be something to his variation theory.

If I was placing a bet on variances it would be with the tire and not the heat shield. Most 35" tires are not a true 35" depending on brand/model. Perhaps a combo of both.
FWIW I'm on a 35" Duratrac.

jadmt

Reaction score
If I was placing a bet on variances it would be with the tire and not the heat shield. Most 35" tires are not a true 35" depending on brand/model. Perhaps a combo of both.
FWIW I'm on a 35" Duratrac.
what is the true mounted height of those?. Seems like Duratracs run small across the board.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Wow. That is a tight fit. And here I was hoping to mod in a deflated 37". LOL That's not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread