Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37" tire on stock PW?

@JC

Reaction score
If I was placing a bet on variances it would be with the tire and not the heat shield. Most 35" tires are not a true 35" depending on brand/model. Perhaps a combo of both.
FWIW I'm on a 35" Duratrac.
35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, measure 34.1 mounted on the truck with ~52-54lbs.

jadmt

Reaction score
35x12.50r17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, measure 34.1 mounted on the truck with ~52-54lbs.
Nitto (Toyo) runs closer to advertised size than many of the other brands.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
The measurement mounted on the truck doesn't help much when measuring for spare tire fitment.

Duratracs are advertised at 34.8". I just went out and eye balled the spare tire with a measuring tape and the 34.8" seems correct.

REYoungJr

Reaction score
If I was placing a bet on variances it would be with the tire and not the heat shield. Most 35" tires are not a true 35" depending on brand/model. Perhaps a combo of both.
FWIW I'm on a 35" Duratrac.
Unfortunately, JC and myself disprove that it is a variance in the, Tires, Rims or Pressures, with our 2 trucks, as we both have the exact same Nitto tires, same factory black rims, and even were running the exact same psi in the tires. We had been in contact prior to my truck arriving and he shared all the details of his truck and tire upgrade, which I followed right down to the psi in each tire, including the spare. And after I did the exact same upgrade on mine, and found the spare would not fit without it being angled, he shared photos of his fitting perfectly flat.

So unless his dealer modified his heat shield without his knowledge, the variance between our 2 trucks has to be with the heat shield from the factory. Which I would assume is with the mounting location of that shield, but I guess there could be 2 different heat shields they are installing. But without having one that fits and one that does not in my hands at the same time, to compare and measure, I am not sure how we would ever prove a variance in the shields themselves.

Reactions: @JC

MikeD

Reaction score
Yes, same with me. Once you modify the heat shield everything should clear. It would have to be a very big variance in the heat shields to clear a 35" properly. I suspect many people either don't care or don't know their spare is not fitting properly. Perhaps the shop did it and didn't tell them.

You could probably do this if you just banged the crap out of the heat shield. Not my cup of tea.

This diagram isn't exactly like ours, but very similar. The red line is where I cut mine. I left a little overhang so that it still wraps around the top and rests on the tire a little.
  1. So drop the spare tire
  2. Pull the heat shield (10mm x6 bolts)
  3. Install spare correctly (requires a little elbow grease, but once you pass the track bar and hitch it fits easily)
  4. Cut heat shield (I used my angle grinder)
  5. Install heat shield with spare already in position (You will now only use 4 of the bolts)
  6. Enjoy life knowing you have a full size spare that fits correctly.
View attachment 8113

View attachment 8114
View attachment 8115
View attachment 8116
How are you liking the bigger Duratracs? I had a set of 315/75/r16 on my 2nd Gen Cummins before I got my PW, but I never took that truck off road. Had 33k on them and they still had a lot of life left in them.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
How are you liking the bigger Duratracs? I had a set of 315/75/r16 on my 2nd Gen Cummins before I got my PW, but I never took that truck off road. Had 33k on them and they still had a lot of life left in them.

No complaints so far. I picked them because Discount Tire had a great sale on them plus a $100 rebate card. Have taken them on quite a bit of trails too. Air them down to 20psi and they feel great. Also, I knew their would be no question on road noise since the truck already came with them. I will probably go with a 37" later this year.

Last edited:

MikeD

Reaction score
No complaints so far. I picked them because Discount Tire had a great sale on them plus a $100 rebate card. Have taken them on quite a bit of trails too. Air them down to 20psi and they feel great. Also, I knew their would be no question on road noise since the truck already came with them. I will probably go with a 37" later this year.
Nice, I was pretty happy with mine. I will probably go that route when it's time. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread