Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Camera

Phil T

Reaction score
Have you made a howto on your custom trailer camera cable? Don't think I've seen it.
If you are asking me, no I did not create a howto for the camera. To get from the bumper connector without buying the RAM camera which is crap, I used the Ford harness HC3Z-14B242-F $130.44 included shipping (only the first piece with the mating connector.) From there, I made my own custom camera setup using a Sony module from China and a cheap rear view camera that I gutted. The signal from the camera to the truck is NTSC video (analog), so any camera that is 12v and outputs this will work. Instead of using the RAM cables I used RG6 Siamese cable. That cable is commonly used for CCTV installations in buildings. You get the RG6 coax (which is much better at sending video than the shielded twisted pair that the RAM and Ford cables use. Because you are modifying the Ford trailer connector to account for different pinouts, a bit of soldering is required because you can't get just the pins. Erich Jaeger is the OEM for Ford, and I have tried and tried to source from them. They really are playing hardball in keeping this out of the hands of competition. They have an exclusive agreement with Ford, even though the connector system has an ISO designation. RAM uses the same connector, but is made for them by another manufacturer in Mexico. You can't get that one either.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are asking me, no I did not create a howto for the camera. To get from the bumper connector without buying the RAM camera which is crap, I used the Ford harness HC3Z-14B242-F $130.44 included shipping (only the first piece with the mating connector.) From there, I made my own custom camera setup using a Sony module from China and a cheap rear view camera that I gutted. The signal from the camera to the truck is NTSC video (analog), so any camera that is 12v and outputs this will work. Instead of using the RAM cables I used RG6 Siamese cable. That cable is commonly used for CCTV installations in buildings. You get the RG6 coax (which is much better at sending video than the shielded twisted pair that the RAM and Ford cables use. Because you are modifying the Ford trailer connector to account for different pinouts, a bit of soldering is required because you can't get just the pins. Erich Jaeger is the OEM for Ford, and I have tried and tried to source from them. They really are playing hardball in keeping this out of the hands of competition. They have an exclusive agreement with Ford, even though the connector system has an ISO designation. RAM uses the same connector, but is made for them by another manufacturer in Mexico. You can't get that one either.

Phil,

Do you know if that 12-pin has all the pins molded in it, or at least enough to get the 2-camera setup running?

Phil T

Reaction score
You can take it apart. The pins push out, but the ford wires are crimped to the pins. Soldering is required.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
You can take it apart. The pins push out, but the ford wires are crimped to the pins. Soldering is required.

Thanks, precision soldering is not an obstacle thanks to the US Army Electronics MOS training programs and 40 years experience.

I need to make this a fall project so I just ordered that Ford harness. Now I just have to decide which termination style to order the Sony UCCD camera I'm eyeballing and get some RG6 siamese. I think while I'm pulling cable, I might as well pull a line for reverse lights. I was going to use shielded Twisted Pair but I think the RG6 will work better for external rejection.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
That's where i have the problem . When i had my shop, i was all set up for that sort of thing but living in an RV means that you can only haul necessities. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm currently working with Nichols and there comparing the ford plug to what the ram plug would be and how to retrofit there plug to accommodate. Her also said that he was working with another guy about the same thing, I don't know if it's someone on this forum or not.

Phil T

Reaction score
I wish I had a better understanding of the second aux camera that is available in 2020. There must be more inputs on the block where xfq plugs in. The uconnect hardware is the same so I would suspect that there is something there.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I wish I had a better understanding of the second aux camera that is available in 2020. There must be more inputs on the block where xfq plugs in. The uconnect hardware is the same so I would suspect that there is something there.

I'm probably wrong but I think that it just splits it at the bed plug and then when you select it on your u connect that it gives power to the one that you selected. Dun no, just an edjumacated guisetimation

mlink

Reaction score
So has anyone tried the new 2020 camera kit with the dual camera harness that Rich cited above - 82216068AB?

Any chance that it has a new, improved camera as part of kit over the 2019 camera kit 82215770AB ?

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
So has anyone tried the new 2020 camera kit with the dual camera harness that Rich cited above - 82216068AB?

Any chance that it has a new, improved camera as part of kit over the 2019 camera kit 82216770AB ?
If I'm not mistaken, it's the same camera, mounts, cabling extensions, with the exception of the main harness with the splitter wire harness loomed in. Also don't forget, that $700+ price tag only included 1 camera, you'll have to spend more $$$ for the second camera20200612_120336.jpg

mlink

Reaction score
@Rich .
I am not as worried about the price as much as I am worried about the quality of the camera after all this work. Thus hoping that the camera is better than the one being included in the 82215770AB kit. Else, I might re-pin and use the Ford camera.

The only thing worse than having a crappy camera on AUX1 is having the same crappy camera also on AUX2.

My goal is to mount the best compatible vid camera I can find, on a one-piece Nichols extension harness, to the back of my 5th Wheel as AUX1. And integrate it with the NAVIKS system - so it works like my GMC used to.

It looks like this will take some expensive experimentation I'm sure.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
@Rich .
I am not as worried about the price as much as I am worried about the quality of the camera after all this work. Thus hoping that the camera is better than the one being included in the 82215770AB kit. Else, I might re-pin and use the Ford camera.

The only thing worse than having a crappy camera on AUX1 is having the same crappy camera also on AUX2.

My goal is to mount the best compatible vid camera I can find, on a one-piece Nichols extension harness, to the back of my 5th Wheel as AUX1. And integrate it with the NAVIKS system - so it works like my GMC used to.

It looks like this will take some expensive experimentation I'm sure.
Thats just my way of venting on spending 1000 bucks on a junk system. I've been pi$$=d off ever since i tried the kit & got my hopes up that I could fully utilize the $400 aux camera add on, on my build. By the time I add it all up from build code to cameras to naviks, were looking at 1500 -2000 just for the same thing my furrion can do. That all said. At this point I'm using my furrion until its all been tested and tried and then I plan to do exactly the same thing as your last paragraph. It's like buying a boat, you Just keep dumping money into it :mad:

Ron D.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 3500 with 5th wheel prep, does anyone know if there is a 7-12 pin plug for the bed of the truck to replace the 7 pin ( like the bumper one ) . If so what is the part number. I have a 5th Wheel camper that I installed the camera on and would have to have the 12 pin cable go to the bumper 12 pin.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 ram 3500 with 5th wheel prep, does anyone know if there is a 7-12 pin plug for the bed of the truck to replace the 7 pin ( like the bumper one ) . If so what is the part number. I have a 5th Wheel camper that I installed the camera on and would have to have the 12 pin cable go to the bumper 12 pin.

From what I understand, the bed cutout/indent isn't large enough for the combo 7/12-pin setup in the 2019's.

I've posted a pic of the housing in another thread so let me see if I can find it.

regal2800

Reaction score
From what I understand, the bed cutout/indent isn't large enough for the combo 7/12-pin setup in the 2019's.

I've posted a pic of the housing in another thread so let me see if I can find it.

I ordered the new bezel with the part numbers you mentioned in it. The bed cut out might not be big enough, but it's just sheetmetal. Shouldnt be hard to widen it out a little to make room. Ill post pics once i get all the parts and have it opened up.

One thing that still perplexes me is that you can only have the 12 pin active on the bumper or in the bed. So at all times at least one of the 12 pin plugs under the truck are NOT connected to the display. Please someone who has a 2020 with 12 pin in the bed and bumper correct me if i am mistaken.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I ordered the new bezel with the part numbers you mentioned in it. The bed cut out might not be big enough, but it's just sheetmetal. Shouldnt be hard to widen it out a little to make room. Ill post pics once i get all the parts and have it opened up.

One thing that still perplexes me is that you can only have the 12 pin active on the bumper or in the bed. So at all times at least one of the 12 pin plugs under the truck are NOT connected to the display. Please someone who has a 2020 with 12 pin in the bed and bumper correct me if i am mistaken.
you are correct. Both of my 7 pins work but only 12 pin that's hot is inside bed. Bumper 12 pin is capped off.

Ron D.

Reaction score
Rich (regal2800) I don't see what part number is for the bed to have 12and 7 pin, Can you tell what the number is.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich (regal2800) I don't see what part number is for the bed to have 12and 7 pin, Can you tell what the number is.
So here's what I've got. When i took mine apart a couple months ago, i took a bunch of pictuers of the back of the 12 pin plug and In those pictures i have a part number picgure but i don't know what it's for, probably not what your looking for but its a long shot if you want to research it, sorry this is all i got20200818_120425.jpg

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Thanks , for your help
I layed under the rear bumper to see if I could see any tags. I got a pic of a part number attached to the 12 pin plug, if you notice, it's just 1 digit off from my other pic20200924_082324.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread