Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer Camera

SCUBAJAKE

Reaction score
According to my dealer and MOPAR when I called, trailer camera kit 82215770AB will not work in my 2020 3500. But they say that the 82216068AB Dual trailer camera kit will fit. Interestingly, the Dual version only comes with one camera and still costs $135 more than the single camera kit. Don't know what I get with the dual camera kit as a lot of it looks exactly like the single camera kit, so why won't the single camera kit fit on my 2020 and it does fit on the 2019 or will it work? I need a definitive answer as electrical parts are not returnable.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
According to my dealer and MOPAR when I called, trailer camera kit 82215770AB will not work in my 2020 3500. But they say that the 82216068AB Dual trailer camera kit will fit. Interestingly, the Dual version only comes with one camera and still costs $135 more than the single camera kit. Don't know what I get with the dual camera kit as a lot of it looks exactly like the single camera kit, so why won't the single camera kit fit on my 2020 and it does fit on the 2019 or will it work? I need a definitive answer as electrical parts are not returnable.
I was able to return mine with out a restocking fee but I know this is rare. I believe your dealer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes and up sell you. I bought the single cam kit before I returned it. I may not be 100% correct on this but my knowledge is that the only difference from duel camera kit and the single is with the duel you get a splitter for both aux camera cables. Yes it only comes with 1 camera and you would still have to buy another.
Just my opinion, save your money. I hooked it up with all the wiring included and the picture quality was junk. Also those wire harnesses and cables are big and bulky and not easy to hide. In the end you also still can't get more than a 10 second picture frame from it on your screen.
Im assuming your like the rest of us and paid the $400 for that feature on your truck so you can add a Camerra correct, because it is a different kit part # if you don't have that technology on your truck already.
The absolutely only good thing about the kit is the elusive 12 pin plug in that fca has a lock on.

Phil T

Reaction score
I was able to return mine with out a restocking fee but I know this is rare. I believe your dealer is trying to pull the wool over your eyes and up sell you. I bought the single cam kit before I returned it. I may not be 100% correct on this but my knowledge is that the only difference from duel camera kit and the single is with the duel you get a splitter for both aux camera cables. Yes it only comes with 1 camera and you would still have to buy another.
Just my opinion, save your money. I hooked it up with all the wiring included and the picture quality was junk. Also those wire harnesses and cables are big and bulky and not easy to hide. In the end you also still can't get more than a 10 second picture frame from it on your screen.
Im assuming your like the rest of us and paid the $400 for that feature on your truck so you can add a Camerra correct, because it is a different kit part # if you don't have that technology on your truck already.
The absolutely only good thing about the kit is the elusive 12 pin plug in that fca has a lock on.

I made my own camera system instead of using the RAM camera. The Ford harness that has the trailer side cable is much cheaper. See my posts regarding the install.

davidskywalker

Reaction score

Hi Rich, my 2019 truck did NOT come with the trailer camera option. I read somewhere that I need to buy a new harness for the truck to add this option and buy and wire one or two cameras on my trailer. Did you add the harness to your truck and flashed the truck to take on this new feature? If so, do you know which parts #s I should buy from the dealer?

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hi Rich, my 2019 truck did NOT come with the trailer camera option. I read somewhere that I need to buy a new harness for the truck to add this option and buy and wire one or two cameras on my trailer. Did you add the harness to your truck and flashed the truck to take on this new feature? If so, do you know which parts #s I should buy from the dealer?
I can't help you with this part of it as I ordered and built mine with that feature already added on so all I have to do is buy the kit that plugs into bed plug, perhaps @brutal can help or some the others who have added the feature.
What I did was buy the $600 kit that plugs into bed that has the mopar camera with 40 ft or so of big heavy wire harnesses. When I got it I plugged it in to bed and it worked but the camera had a real bad junk image with all those connected harnesses. Even with just I length of wire, it was not a good quality picture. Then there was the running the big thick wire harnesses with big connectors all over my fiver. It just looked really junky all that running all over the RV. I supposed if somebody could drill holes and route it someway to hide it that would be ok, but I'm not willing to do that especially with such a poor quality camera. So I just returned it. We have been waiting for someone to design the special plug in that goes into 12 pin plug in so we can then just buy a high quality camera and then put it on just 1 length of quality wire to reduce connections. But ram has a lock on that design for plug in, so someone will have to create one. No luck yet

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I did not add the XFQ to my truck, I ordered it with the camera option.

@Phil T added XFQ to his 2019. AFAIK, the bed cutout isn't right to do the 2020 style setup (both deb & bumper plugs).

I added the TTPMS parts covered in another thread.

The XFQ is available as an add on sales code from your dealer. You can probably save the install labor and DIY, then get the dealer to flash the change to enable it.

Or get yourself setup with alfaOBD, reader, and Koadtech security bypass cable.

There's also a thread discussing the NAVIKS solution to get always on cameras if needed. There are options to roll your own trailer camera and a source for the bumper - trailer cabling from this guy: https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldingservices.com/shop/ols/products/camera-extension

davidskywalker

Reaction score
I did not add the XFQ to my truck, I ordered it with the camera option.

@Phil T added XFQ to his 2019. AFAIK, the bed cutout isn't right to do the 2020 style setup (both deb & bumper plugs).

I added the TTPMS parts covered in another thread.

The XFQ is available as an add on sales code from your dealer. You can probably save the install labor and DIY, then get the dealer to flash the change to enable it.

Or get yourself setup with alfaOBD, reader, and Koadtech security bypass cable.

There's also a thread discussing the NAVIKS solution to get always on cameras if needed. There are options to roll your own trailer camera and a source for the bumper - trailer cabling from this guy: https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldingservices.com/shop/ols/products/camera-extension

I was looking into the camera prep kit: 82215833AB. which according to some sites is about $395. So after I install this, I will have to flash the truck with the alphaOBD together with the bypass cable.
I am not familiar with this antenna connector. But since I have a 5th wheel, and I sense you also have a 5th wheel, you have to run this additional cable and put a new harness in the trailer. Where did you put this new camera connector? did you changed the one inside the bed?
The link you sent me for the ford cable is that used when the connector is used on the bumper for the 5th wheel.
I don't have to use the $500 camera system that RAM sells? I have already some other cameras in the trailer. I am wonder how I can connect them to the prep kit.
thank you

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I was looking into the camera prep kit: 82215833AB. which according to some sites is about $395. So after I install this, I will have to flash the truck with the alphaOBD together with the bypass cable.
I am not familiar with this antenna connector. But since I have a 5th wheel, and I sense you also have a 5th wheel, you have to run this additional cable and put a new harness in the trailer. Where did you put this new camera connector? did you changed the one inside the bed?
The link you sent me for the ford cable is that used when the connector is used on the bumper for the 5th wheel.
I don't have to use the $500 camera system that RAM sells? I have already some other cameras in the trailer. I am wonder how I can connect them to the prep kit.
thank you
Thats the whole thing that's got us all bound up. Currently there is no where to get a hold of that 12 pin plug in as fca has a patent on it and nobody can currently make it or sell it. That's exactly what were trying to figure out. If somebody can have a plug in made that goes from the big 12 pin bed plug to the camera coax, then it's easy breezy. Buy 40' of coax and $120 for a primo camera. But we got no plug in, yet anyway

Phil T

Reaction score
Rich, you are incorrect. You can get the Ford harness that has the correct plug. Please refer to my post on the subject.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich, you are incorrect. You can get the Ford harness that has the correct plug. Please refer to my post on the subject.

I khow about the ford harness but doesn't that have the ttpms. Does it work with out any manipulation or addition of anything else. If it's plug and play, how much is it and why are we not jumping for joy. No problem if I'm wrong and we have a solution, than I'm 100% good with being wrong. Has anybody tried it yet

MikeXM

Reaction score

Have you made a howto on your custom trailer camera cable? Don't think I've seen it.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Have you made a howto on your custom trailer camera cable? Don't think I've seen it.
I know I haven't. Is it just the plug in our do you have to buy the whole expensive kit. If we got a fix, I can't believe were talking about anything else. Being wrong would never feal so right :p

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
thank you

I did not install a kit, that's not what I said. I ordered my truck with XFQ = your "prep kit."

The prep kit (XFQ aka 82215833AB) has to be installed and enabled. This is just the truck part.

Antenna connector? Now I'm confused.

To recode (not really flashing) your truck BCM (Body Control Module) to support DIY installed sales options, you need software (AlfaOBD @$50), a supported OBDII reader ($20-$100), and a security bypass cable ($50) to get around the security gateway that otherwise prevents writing those changes to the BCM. For a 2019, you have to use the WINDOWS version of AlfaOBD to enable a 2020 code (long story).

There are two components to the trailer camera setup. XFQ is the factory sales code for the "prep kit" that is wired in the truck - bumper to radio (2020 factory FXQ also has it in the bed).

There is then an external kit with the 12-pin plug/wiring harnesses and a camera for the trailer. The RAM camera sucks. People have been trying to figure out a source for the 12-pin bumper PLUG/cable to use with a camera of their choosing. It's a semi custom setup.

The Ford 12-pin plug is the same (same OEM) as RAM, just wired a bit different because their TTPMS receiver goes in the trailer (ours is behind the bumper) but can be modified. I threw @Phil T under the bus because he's done it using his own camera and trailer extension cables. The link I sent was to Nichols website, not intended to point to one specific cable.

I khow about the ford harness but doesn't that have the ttpms. Does it work with out any manipulation or addition of anything else. If it's plug and play, how much is it and why are we not jumping for joy. No problem if I'm wrong and we have a solution, than I'm 100% good with being wrong. Has anybody tried it yet

Nothing except OEM is plug and play. I stated Phil made a custom setup using a plug/cable harness from Nichols. the EXTERNAL cable truck to trailer.

I know I haven't. Is it just the plug in our do you have to buy the whole expensive kit. If we got a fix, I can't believe were talking about anything else. Being wrong would never feal so right :p

He wasn't asking you, he was asking Phil and you're just conflating the whole thread.

This is like the worst game of telephone ever (this week).

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I did not install a kit, that's not what I said. I ordered my truck with XFQ = your "prep kit."

The prep kit (XFQ aka 82215833AB) has to be installed and enabled. This is just the truck part.

Antenna connector? Now I'm confused.

To recode (not really flashing) your truck BCM (Body Control Module) to support DIY installed sales options, you need software (AlfaOBD @$50), a supported OBDII reader ($20-$100), and a security bypass cable ($50) to get around the security gateway that otherwise prevents writing those changes to the BCM. For a 2019, you have to use the WINDOWS version of AlfaOBD to enable a 2020 code (long story).

There are two components to the trailer camera setup. XFQ is the factory sales code for the "prep kit" that is wired in the truck - bumper to radio (2020 factory FXQ also has it in the bed).

There is then an external kit with the 12-pin plug/wiring harnesses and a camera for the trailer. The RAM camera sucks. People have been trying to figure out a source for the 12-pin bumper PLUG/cable to use with a camera of their choosing. It's a semi custom setup.

The Ford 12-pin plug is the same (same OEM) as RAM, just wired a bit different because their TTPMS receiver goes in the trailer (ours is behind the bumper) but can be modified. I threw @Phil T under the bus because he's done it using his own camera and trailer extension cables. The link I sent was to Nichols website, not intended to point to one specific cable.

Nothing except OEM is plug and play. I stated Phil made a custom setup using a plug/cable harness from Nichols. the EXTERNAL cable truck to trailer.

He wasn't asking you, he was asking Phil and you're just conflating the whole thread.

This is like the worst game of telephone ever (this week).
I agree on the phone tag because i can't even tell who your talking to when you say he wasnt asking you, when @davidskywalker said hi rich and then asked a question. I then replyed and everyone else filed suite. I felt like we were pretty on point for the discussion but it wouldn't be the first time that I was lost as to what's going on in this forum. I don't say that or this with any malice or being a S.A. but if anybody wants to talk about whatever and free range it, feel free to chime onto thread what ever happened to RICH.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I have the '20 with two auxiliary cameras (supposedly) - but don't really have the need for more than one and am not sure how they will connect the 2nd one yet... - so I'm still in for one. Let me know...
I might be mistaken but on the 2 camera mopar kit, the only difference between that one and the single is a splitter built into the cabling for a low price of$750 ×tax, so hurry and act now while they last :p

mlink

Reaction score
Rich:

Do you have a part # or are you speculating? I've been trying to find the Mopar Part# without success.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Rich:

Do you have a part # or are you speculating? I've been trying to find the Mopar Part# without success.
Do you mean the part number for the 2 camera kit set that only comes with 1 camera

mlink

Reaction score
I might be mistaken but on the 2 camera mopar kit, the only difference between that one and the single is a splitter built into the cabling for a low price of$750 ×tax, so hurry and act now while they last :p

I guess... whatever dual Aux trailer camera kit you referred to above - with a Y cable to accommodate both cameras.

Also, when I pulled apart the 12-pin connector on my '20 to map out the wires, I found that it was wired for 8 live pins - so I'm assuming that it was wired for both 5-pin cameras (they use the red and black wires in common).

I'm guessing that a 2019 with Aux Camera Prep (single camera) would be wired with 5 live pins (Camera +, Camera -, Shield, Power, Ground)

As long as you are not referring to 82215770AB (single camera, single connector released in 2019), you might be on to some new information.

So if the NAVIK was built for the 2019 single camera Aux prep and ignores (but doesn't disable) the 2nd Aux camera, I'm still in for it.

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I guess... whatever dual Aux trailer camera kit you referred to above - with a Y cable to accommodate both cameras.

Also, when I pulled apart the 12-pin connector on my '20 to map out the wires, I found that it was wired for 8 live pins - so I'm assuming that it was wired for both 5-pin cameras (they use the red and black wires in common).

I'm guessing that a 2019 with Aux Camera Prep (single camera) would be wired with 5 live pins (Camera +, Camera -, Shield, Power, Ground)

As long as you are not referring to 82215770AB (single camera, single connector released in 2019), you might be on to some new information.

So if the NAVIK was built for the 2019 single camera Aux prep and ignores (but doesn't disable) the 2nd Aux camera, I'm still in for it.
So hers the info i got for you, all of which is available on any mopar site and has been for quite some time. Unless I'm misunderstanding the information, the duel camera kit for $ 730 is the one that has the
splitter loomed into the wiring. The single kit for $595 msrp is the one that I bought and returned.
Screenshot_20200904-115845.png

Screenshot_20200904-115712.png

Screenshot_20200904-115727.png
the single camera kit does not have the extra connection on the main plug in lead like the duel camera kit does. That's the only difference that I can visually see and the info above said that the duel camera kit supports a single or duel camera function.
Screenshot_20200904-120716.png

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree on the phone tag because i can't even tell who your talking to when you say he wasnt asking you, when @davidskywalker said hi rich and then asked a question. I then replyed and everyone else filed suite. I felt like we were pretty on point for the discussion but it wouldn't be the first time that I was lost as to what's going on in this forum. I don't say that or this with any malice or being a S.A. but if anybody wants to talk about whatever and free range it, feel free to chime onto thread what ever happened to RICH.

I'd like to reply and make some helpful suggestions on forum use, etiquette, and how to follow a thread, but you'll just take offense and report that I'm being a mean controlling bullying out of control authoritarian dictator with no social skills.

Users who are viewing this thread