Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding Wireless Mobile Phone Charging

johanh13

Reaction score
Has anyone added the wireless charging kit to their RAM?

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 12.31.12 PM.png

johanh13

Reaction score
Mine came with but I don't have the big cut out for storage cubby or cd player, wich I miss. Wich one are you installing with your mold, CD or storage cubby
I bought what is in the photo, my RAM has the cd player...

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I bought what is in the photo, my RAM has the cd player...
A little off topic but if you could get me the part number sometime of the cd player I would appreciate it, no hurry and don't inconvenience yourself. I don't need the phone charger mold part number, I already found that online. Thanks

johanh13

Reaction score
A little off topic but if you could get me the part number sometime of the cd player I would appreciate it, no hurry and don't inconvenience yourself. I don't need the phone charger mold part number, I already found that online. Thanks
I am thinking about doing the install tomorrow, then I could take a photo of the cd player....

miles

Reaction score
They don’t charge very good.
I was running apple maps, my radar app, and listening to music via Bluetooth and lost charge from 98% to 35% on a trip of 4 hours.
When I plug into my phone directly it stays at 100% using the same apps and music on the same trip I do every few weeks.

Last edited:

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
I was running apple maps, my radar app, and listening to music via Bluetooth and lost charge from 98% to 35% on a trip of 4 hours.
When I plug into my phone directly it stays at 100% using the same apps and music on the same trip I do every few weeks.
I was considering buying one of those charge things from Amazon that you plug into your phone and place on back of phone, that picks up the charging from charger but i didn't know if they were any good to hold a charge.

miles

Reaction score
I was considering buying one of those charge things from Amazon that you plug into your phone and place on back of phone, that picks up the charging from charger but i didn't know if they were any good to hold a charge.

they are useless too!

Houston HB

Reaction score
it would be nice to have something like that under the center arm rest pad or down in the 1st coin tray

Sowa

Reaction score

I had a similar experience with my Tacoma. It would not work through my phone case, and didn't charge all that awesome. Owned that truck for a little over a year and never really used it.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score

Probably only a 5w charger... you'd need at 10w charger to keep up with all of that...

johanh13

Reaction score
In case anyone is considering adding this, my advice, don't do it! Everything is quite easy as expected, except the lone wire that goes to pin 45 on connector E of the BCM. The BCM is hidden deep inside the dashboard and the connector is small and has many pins. And, as was the case with my RAM, if there is a wire in location 45, then you have to splice/solder the wire in. This would be very easy on a work bench, but now try it deep inside the dash, while laying in a contorted position, with very little room to work. Needless to say, this caused some skinned knuckles (there are VERY sharp pieces of steel you have to work around) and choice words. Also, to make more room, I had to remove the amplifier for the stereo, which has the hardest to reach bolts to free it, two 8mm and on 10mm bolt heads. Attached is a photo of the BCM and the connector where the wire has to be added...

Attachments

• bcm.png
    bcm.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

johanh13

Reaction score
Awesome sauce. Thanks johanh. I'm assuming that we all have the cd player plug in behind the u connect even if our Laramie didn't come with cd player????
I would NOT assume the wiring connector is there! I just added the wireless charger and it came with a wire harness. This harness is somewhat of a jerry-rig, it piggy-backs off the 12v plug on top of the dash, and then has a lone wire that goes to the BCM...

johanh13

Reaction score
Does anyone see the part number on this CD player. I've tried them all and none of them pull up
I should maybe have taken the top bracket off, I don't see the part number either.... SORRY, it's reassembled now... here is one more photo (probably not much help either)...

Attachments

• cd-player 2.png
    cd-player 2.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 50

johanh13

Reaction score
After the install, I took a 15 minute drive white listening to bluetooth audio, my charge went from 40% to 51%, so it will charge enough for that at least. I have the built-in Nav which I like very much, so I don't use my iPhone for that.

Users who are viewing this thread