Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ram Box painted covers coming off

Ohio Ram

Reaction score
I didn't call, I sent a web message. They emailed the next morning. And I was called today fro Chrysler to discuss what has been going on.

BigRed

Reaction score
Thank you Ohio RAM for your update. Those of us in Florida and Texas knew the heat was a problem but if you are in OHIO than the temperature really has no impact. Just poor design. Will e-mail today.

djulien

Reaction score
Two and a half days at the dealer to fix per RAM warranty methods and when I walked out to drive home it was already off again. Now they are supposedly waiting for RAM's next fix. Playing the game a little longer before getting the local News investigators involved. Chrysler/Fiat says they have no complaints but call any service department and they will tell you otherwise. Box lids appear to be molded with a curvature that does not allow the painted cover to stay attached unless they come up with a clip to hold it on. Keep rattling the chain if you have the same problem and a recall should be initiated to fix all of ours.
I have had the same issue. Both my Ramboxes are delaminating and I have taken it in 3 times now to get fixed. Every time it takes 2-4 weeks as they order a new panel, get it pained and then install. In all three cases, by the following day they are coming off again. The last time they "fixed" them it lasted about 3 days before coming off. I have decided to try a different dealer when I take it in again.

Mhelvic

Reaction score
I have the same problem with a 2020, Limited. Had the truck for 35 days until the side panel warped. Filed a complaint with NTHSA. I also made a complaint with RamCares thru the owners app, seeking a permanent solution to this issue since it affects servers generation s of these trucks. A RamCares rep did contact me the following day and said a STAR report has been filed and that a FCA representative is supposed to call me. Dealership had the parts to replace the (warped applique) as they call it and currently has my truck; said it will be a 2 day repair job. According to the TSB instructions for the 2019 Rams with RamBoxes it instructs dealerships to replace the warped applique and use the double sided tape for the new install. That to me doesn’t inspire confidence that my fix will be permanent, but we will see.

BigRed

Reaction score
Well I did get a good customer care rep and she and the dealership battled it out for a couple of days then set up appointment to have both sides repaired. The dealership has it for a couple of days and told me it was fixed. When I arrived the painted covers were attached but nothing lined up and driver side was very loose when closed. I refused to accept it and service department advised when it was fixed to call me. They called the next day and said it was ready. I drove there again and it was much better but not perfect on alignment of box doors but I accepted it. I don't have time to keep dealing with a subpar service department.

bax229

Reaction score
My '19 Power Wagon (3000 miles) is at the dealer right now, for the 3rd time, with this issue. They apply new tape, I drive off, and about 3 days later the "appliques" are de-laminating again. So frustrated!

Hey Chrysler...The tape isn't working!

This is ridiculous. These are new trucks with a major defect...this needs to be a priority

1FastHemi

Reaction score
My '19 Power Wagon (3000 miles) is at the dealer right now, for the 3rd time, with this issue. They apply new tape, I drive off, and about 3 days later the "appliques" are de-laminating again. So frustrated!

This is ridiculous. These are new trucks with a major defect...this needs to be a priority

Strike 3.. Do I hear Limon Law ? ? ?

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score

I am very sorry to hear this update, @bax229. If you wouldn't mind following up with us via private message, I would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf so that both you and your dealer have an additional layer of support in addressing your situation.

Mark
RamCares

bax229

Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear this update, @bax229. If you wouldn't mind following up with us via private message, I would be happy to escalate a case on your behalf so that both you and your dealer have an additional layer of support in addressing your situation.

Mark
RamCares
Thanks Mark...PM sent

Vroooom

Reaction score
I look forward to seeing updates on this. I had a 2017 Ram 2500 with ramboxes (I like to call them sadle-bags) and the lids curled-up. I traded it after 2-years for a 2019 1500 with ramboxes and in less than a year, the lids are curling up. I found this thread this morning because I was trying to find a way to reach out to ram designers and recommend a SLIGHT modification to the design of future ramboxes. Rather than a single-point of retention constantly pulling down on the center of the "lid" while the the seals are pushing up on the ends, perhaps they could consider future iterations could have two electronic latches, positioned more towards the ends of the lid. Then I saw this post and it made me wonder....is the banana-bend that I'm seeing in the body-colored lid or just in the matte-textured cap that is on the lid. Whichever it is, needs a little help. The truck has beautiful lines....until you get to one of the major features (the rambox) that looks like a well-used flip-flop. I'm surprised to see that RAM has someone who monitors these forums (awesome) and I'm eager to hear more, now that they appear to be WELL AWARE of the consumer concerns on this issue.

IMG_2667.jpeg

IMG_2669.jpegIMG_2670.jpegIMG_2666.jpeg

Last edited:

Mhelvic

Reaction score
New Rambox applique installed on Thursday. On Sunday, warping on new applique is worse than the original one. Waiting the customer care agent assigned to my case to respond to my email.

bax229

Reaction score
New Rambox applique installed on Thursday. On Sunday, warping on new applique is worse than the original one. Waiting the customer care agent assigned to my case to respond to my email.
Just picked up my '19 Power Wagon yesterday, for the 3rd time replacing the applique tape...everything seemed great until closer inspection. The installer stress cracked the drivers side applique when trying to remove the panel and bubbled the paint with a heat gun on the passengers side.

They had no problem letting me leave with this.

This truck has 3000 miles and has been to the dealer 5 times now...also repairing a sunroof that leaked and saturated/warped the leather back seat.

I know how useful the Ramboxes are, but I'm really regretting this purchase.

SW93Ej8.jpg

1gMVLcd.jpg

Last edited:

Mhelvic

Reaction score
I have read on other forums that it is mainly the black trucks with the Rambox that have the warping issue. Does anyone have a different colored truck that also has problems with Rambox warping?

bax229

Reaction score
Well, my Rambox appliques have now de-lamintaed 4 times! Picked my Ram up on Friday, after being at the dealer for another weak...By Sunday, they are de-laminating again. Now my dealer has passed me onto Chrysler and doesn't want to deal with me anymore.

Just got this email message:

"The recall for the Ram box repair is to clean and re-tape.
Unfortunately their is not another fix for this concern at this time.

Once another fix is available for this recall you will receive a letter by mail informing you."

They need to make a metal applique with threaded studs that can bolt through the plastic Rambox lids.

Last edited:

Garrett76036

Reaction score
Has anyone removed their panels? I have my own 3M tape that holds better than the factory stuff. Just can't find any information on how to remove them without damaging them.

Hoovermaneuver

Reaction score
I am about a month from ordering my truck with the Rambox. Glad I saw this. There is no way I am getting the box. Thinking heavily if Dodge is the right pick. To bad.

Pnoman

Reaction score
Anyone have any success with this repair? I’ve noticed the same problem with my black 2019 but I’m waiting to take it in so I can have the bed step recall done at the same time.

Mhelvic

Reaction score
Had mine repaired twice. First repair attempt lasted a few days. I watched as they did the second repair and they put extras adhesive tape all over the panel. Now, so far, so good. Going on three months now and I have had no new issues with warping and I have a black truck that sits in the Florida sun, not inside a garage.

Users who are viewing this thread