What's new
Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your four-legged friends

We just got our new pup this past Saturday. She's half German Shepherd and half Mastiff? She's got the markings and double dew claws on her rear legs. 11 weeks old and 23lbs.

She gonna be a big girl. Post a pic of…..awake lol. Curious how big she looks now.

Sent from me

It has been many years since I have had dogs and although I often imagine adding a new friend to my travel adventures, it's just not the right thing to do, right now. Maybe that will change someday, maybe not; right now my focus is fixated on continuing to move forward and explore. Dogs are special though and the protection and companionship they offer is second to none. Our relationship with them has grown closer over thousands of years and countless hunts. It saddens me to say this but here on earth, dogs might be the most common form of unconditional love that many men feel. As men, it sometimes feels that the entire world has aligned against us for no apparent reason. If you feel that way, I do hope you have another close friend you are able to turn to. If you feel you have no one else here on earth that cares about you - then look to the heavens and rejoice, for our Heavenly Father will always be there, patiently waiting to celebrate your arrival.

Last year I was exploring northern Alabama and came upon something I first through of a funny - it was a coon hound cemetery that sat secluded in the mountains. This private cemetery began nearly a century ago and is restricted to only verifiable coon hounds. As I drove down a lonely back-country road and came closer to the cemetery I slowed my pace, turned off the AC, and rolled down the windows. I wanted to smell the air, feel the sun peeking between the old hardwood trees and warming my arm and face. As I pulled into the cemetery and rolled to a slow stop the only sound in the forest was the snapping and popping created when my all-terrain tires rolled over dirt and small rocks. I stopped, turned off my engine, and wondered for a moment just what the heck I was doing here. Maybe it was because I still miss my jacks, Stuart and Lizzy.

As I stepped out of my AEV Prospector and began walking towards the setting sun hundreds of gravestones and other markers began to appear. As I stepped quietly around and read them my eyes began to well up - these dogs and the men they served had a very special relationship. A man and his dog, alone and deep in the forest during the darkest hours of the night - the dog searching, sniffing, tracking...the man waiting, and listening for that distinctive baying sound signaling that his hound had treed a 'coon. A respectful relationship built on a solid foundation of trust and love for each other. If you have never hunted with a dog I would encourage you to do so, it's something nearly impossible to put into words.

If you are ever passing through Cherokee County, Alabama, stop in and enjoy this beautiful memorial where so many memories have been preserved. One of the epitaphs read along the lines of, "Maybe not the best dog, but the best friend I ever had."

And I know its over - still I cling...

image000000(137).jpg

If you need to relax, cool down, and sip a cool drink or grab a bit to eat afterwards the Rattlesnake Saloon is just a few minutes away.

image000000(138).jpg

Last edited:
Back