Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

87 octane vs 89 octane, fuel economy differences

Enve46

Reaction score
All the 3rd vehicle's I had were worse on gas than my primary vehicle, other than my 911 that was unreal on fuel. The worst was my 69 Camaro with a 427 big block, what a riot and LOVED VP racing 103 at $8/gallon. Fuel mileage is nothing to me really but it must return some joy in the process or it'll be gone quick.

I am eager to try 89 in the truck and see what happens. Im all for saving at the pump

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Anyone run the numbers on a Daily Driven "something else" vs just running your truck? You are now paying for fuel, maintenance (tires-oil-shocks, etc), & insurance on another vehicle + what you are paying on the truck.
If you needed to buy the "other" outright then that could have been used to offset the cost of just driving your truck.
If you kept your old vehicle and bought the truck, are you running the risk that the truck just sitting could cause those "lot-rot" demons to pop up (ex...heater core clogging due to lack of use, sticky lifters, wiped cams due to low oiling from sitting around)?

I bought my truck to drive as my daily. 110mi round trip every day. Right at 25-28k per year. I have not and will not tow with it and only have hauled around my 37" spare in the bed. Why would I want to have to maintain another car?

On Topic, I get 12.6-13.4 mpg on my routine....on 37's with 4.10s. Always run 87....this is the cheapest to operate vehicle I own considering everything else is modified.

500+ miles per week as a daily @ 12-13 mpg is absolutely brutal.

Hats off to you for your level of commitment lol

Grey

Reaction score
Anyone run the numbers on a Daily Driven "something else" vs just running your truck? You are now paying for fuel, maintenance (tires-oil-shocks, etc), & insurance on another vehicle + what you are paying on the truck.
If you needed to buy the "other" outright then that could have been used to offset the cost of just driving your truck.
If you kept your old vehicle and bought the truck, are you running the risk that the truck just sitting could cause those "lot-rot" demons to pop up (ex...heater core clogging due to lack of use, sticky lifters, wiped cams due to low oiling from sitting around)?

I bought my truck to drive as my daily. 110mi round trip every day. Right at 25-28k per year. I have not and will not tow with it and only have hauled around my 37" spare in the bed. Why would I want to have to maintain another car?

On Topic, I get 12.6-13.4 mpg on my routine....on 37's with 4.10s. Always run 87....this is the cheapest to operate vehicle I own considering everything else is modified.
Nope, I have to listen to the accounting dept once a week on everything. So not adding my own truck that list of crap to listen to. But some of us maintain other cars as collectors and bad habits. Way cheaper than a mistress, wives get pretty moody on that these days. Buy a toy, stays where you put it, doesnt complain, and always ready for a good ride.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Can you quantify this? Do you have real world numbers or is this a seat of your pants evaluation?
I did run some hand calculations on longer trips with premium vs regular just to see the real world difference. All in all it was about a wash in $$$ / mile. I don't remember what the actual miles per tank were but I didn't do it to prove anything to anyone other than myself, I did get more miles per tank of premium and the butt dyno was telling me the power output was higher but the the added cost of premium there was no advantage of running it.

ClawSS

Reaction score
Hats off to you for your level of commitment lol
My stable currently by age: I make bad financial decisions when it comes to vehicles, I guess.

Restorer's Garage - 1967 GTO Conv. - 400ci 3-speed manual pure stock numbers matching bought by father 165,000 miles and undergoing full frame-off resto. 10mpg on last drive
Barn - 1975 Chevy K10 Silverado - 350ci 4x4 rusting into the ground, but great farm truck mileage unknown - 10mpg -ish
Shed - 1979 Chevy K10 Silverado - 400ci 4x4 needs restoring mileage unknown - 8mpg ish (4.56 gears and 33" Co-op Grip Spurs)
Barn - 1993 Chevy 3500 SRW - 454ci needs rocker panels, and never met a gas station it didn't like 230,000 miles - double digit mpg on a good day
Was a daily - (traded for the restoration work on the GTO) - Sold - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS - 6.0L stock - 14mpg ish and hella fun
Had to make this the next in line daily - Home Garage (wife's) - 2009 Chrysler 300 SRT - Cammed 6.1L after the non-MDS lifters ate the cam at 130,000 miles (12mpg - 93oct only)
Then this became the daily - Home Garage - 2010 Chevy Camaro SS - Cammed 6.2L with 45,000 miles (10mpg 93oct only) - Couldn't stomach the $4.50 93oct at 10mpg....something had to give.
Followed by the Needed a good truck daily - Home Driveway - 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Cammed 5.3L with 160,000 miles (12mpg e85 or 93oct only)
Current Daily - Home Driveway - 2022 Ram 2500 - leveled with 1/2" rear lift and 37's; weighing 4600/3600 as I drive it daily. Was almost a TRX, but again the 93oct price kept me out of it...

Grey

Reaction score
All I'm going to say, Is if your vehicle has the word Hemi in it. You don't get to fuss about mileage. LOL Gave that argument up when you signed the check. LOL

Enve46

Reaction score
All this talk about octane and fuel economy and I was up last night looking at stroker short blocks and alternative options... Kinda miss my TRX power but really am enjoying the PW and versatility. How can I make these fuel economy and costs get worse?!??!

gimmie11s

Reaction score

My stable currently by age: I make bad financial decisions when it comes to vehicles, I guess.

Restorer's Garage - 1967 GTO Conv. - 400ci 3-speed manual pure stock numbers matching bought by father 165,000 miles and undergoing full frame-off resto. 10mpg on last drive
Barn - 1975 Chevy K10 Silverado - 350ci 4x4 rusting into the ground, but great farm truck mileage unknown - 10mpg -ish
Shed - 1979 Chevy K10 Silverado - 400ci 4x4 needs restoring mileage unknown - 8mpg ish (4.56 gears and 33" Co-op Grip Spurs)
Barn - 1993 Chevy 3500 SRW - 454ci needs rocker panels, and never met a gas station it didn't like 230,000 miles - double digit mpg on a good day
Was a daily - (traded for the restoration work on the GTO) - Sold - 2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS - 6.0L stock - 14mpg ish and hella fun
Had to make this the next in line daily - Home Garage (wife's) - 2009 Chrysler 300 SRT - Cammed 6.1L after the non-MDS lifters ate the cam at 130,000 miles (12mpg - 93oct only)
Then this became the daily - Home Garage - 2010 Chevy Camaro SS - Cammed 6.2L with 45,000 miles (10mpg 93oct only) - Couldn't stomach the $4.50 93oct at 10mpg....something had to give.
Followed by the Needed a good truck daily - Home Driveway - 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Cammed 5.3L with 160,000 miles (12mpg e85 or 93oct only)
Current Daily - Home Driveway - 2022 Ram 2500 - leveled with 1/2" rear lift and 37's; weighing 4600/3600 as I drive it daily. Was almost a TRX, but again the 93oct price kept me out of it...

This post brings me great joy

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I have been running 89 octane since day 1 in my 2023 6.4, and my average economy in town is 12.5 hand calculated. After reading on here about folks using 87 octane, I decided to switch over to see if any difference. Well, after running 87 for 3 tanks, my hand calculated economy has dropped to 11mpg. Same gas stations, same roads, same speeds. I will switch back to 89 now. Truck has 3300 miles on it.

I ran 87 for 4 months and then 89 for 4 months doing the same as you... zero difference in mileage.

Enve46

Reaction score
Ok reporting back on this… ran my first tank of 89, unfortunately had a few highway trips that aren’t in my day to day so the results can’t be comparable to running 93, however I can confirm the truck ran no different than with 93. I have a heavy foot and enjoy the sound of a V8 so I feel I’d notice some difference as I’d say I’m above normal on recognizing differences. Nice to know my lie-o-meter isn’t too far off but just filled up again with 89. Things to note, I didn’t and really couldn’t run the initial tank of 93 dry and filled with a little over 25 gallons of 89, but I do want to reference it before someone points that out.

IMG_5570.jpeg

I did reset Trip B again as that’s my fuel tracking Trip. It’s kind of unfortunate that we close our house next week so my results again will be slightly skewed compared to my commute now but it shouldn’t be SOOO drastic that we can’t see quantitative data

Attachments

• IMG_5571.jpeg
    IMG_5571.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 3

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Ok reporting back on this… ran my first tank of 89, unfortunately had a few highway trips that aren’t in my day to day so the results can’t be comparable to running 93, however I can confirm the truck ran no different than with 93. I have a heavy foot and enjoy the sound of a V8 so I feel I’d notice some difference as I’d say I’m above normal on recognizing differences. Nice to know my lie-o-meter isn’t too far off but just filled up again with 89. Things to note, I didn’t and really couldn’t run the initial tank of 93 dry and filled with a little over 25 gallons of 89, but I do want to reference it before someone points that out.

View attachment 68673

I did reset Trip B again as that’s my fuel tracking Trip. It’s kind of unfortunate that we close our house next week so my results again will be slightly skewed compared to my commute now but it shouldn’t be SOOO drastic that we can’t see quantitative data

She's a thirsty beast.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
10.2 mpg?! Say what you want about the (mostly nonsensical) extra upfront and maintenance costs of a diesel, but I'd get crazy seeing those MPGs on a daily basis.

Enve46

Reaction score
She's a thirsty beast.
Yup, 37s and warm up idling dont help the daily all city commute thats for sure. Neither does my right foot
10.2 mpg?! Say what you want about the (mostly nonsensical) extra upfront and maintenance costs of a diesel, but I'd get crazy seeing those MPGs on a daily basis.
My 2019 deleted tuned diesel on 37s was only in the 12-13 range on the same commute. I didnt sell it for any reason other than I didn't need it but it was no savings having the diesel really

Users who are viewing this thread