Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2025 Ram HD

Enve46

Reaction score
The Power Wagon makes enormous sacrifices in payload and towing already. A decently spaced half ton is rated higher in both payload and towing than a PW.
Agreed that’s why having a sway bar installed maintains SOME ability. You take that away and I wouldn’t want anything behind it.

henrys

Reaction score
I'd like the larger 1500 style cab so can have a long bed with more space. It also needs fold flat seats like the mega cab.

Builtfordrough

Reaction score
Am I missing anything?
I'd like the larger 1500 style cab so can have a long bed with more space. It also needs fold flat seats like the mega cab.
I agree with the larger 1500 cab, but with a flat load floor instead of fold flat seats.
3500 Rebel as a package instead of a trim level, with 285/75R18 tires (35’s) and the Power Wagon front locker
Upgrade the 3500 SRW RGAWR to 8000# and GVWR to 14000#
Remove the 12” screen as a requirement in the Level 1 and 2 packages. I like separate climate control dials
ZF PowerLine 8 speed with the column shift, not the rotary dial (https://press.zf.com/press/en/releases/release_55747.html)
Get rid of the push button start or add a true accessory setting without a timed shut off
Enlarge the overhead console to include a sunglasses holder
Part of me wants a linked, full air rear suspension on the 3500

jsalbre

Reaction score
I agree with the larger 1500 cab, but with a flat load floor instead of fold flat seats.
3500 Rebel as a package instead of a trim level, with 285/75R18 tires (35’s) and the Power Wagon front locker
Remove the 12” screen as a requirement in the Level 1 and 2 packages. I like separate climate control dials
ZF PowerLine 8 speed with the column shift, not the rotary dial (https://press.zf.com/press/en/releases/release_55747.html)
Get rid of the push button start or add a true accessory setting without a timed shut off
Enlarge the overhead console to include a sunglasses holder
Part of me wants a linked, full air rear suspension on the 3500
Where are you going to find 35s for 18” wheels that have a 7000# capacity each?

Also, the overhead console has had a sunglasses holder in it at least as long as the 4.5 gens have been around.

Builtfordrough

Reaction score
Where are you going to find 35s for 18” wheels that have a 7000# capacity each?

Also, the overhead console has had a sunglasses holder in it at least as long as the 4.5 gens have been around.
I’m not sure why I would need a 7000# rating for each tire, but my Toyo AT3’s are 285/75R18 (34.8”) and have a load carrying capacity of 4080# each at 80psi.
I’ll take your statement about the overhead console as a win.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I’m not sure why I would need a 7000# rating for each tire, but my Toyo AT3’s are 285/75R18 (34.8”) and have a load carrying capacity of 4080# each at 80psi.
I’ll take your statement about the overhead console as a win.
Sorry, math was hard last night. You’re right, only need a 4K# rating per tire. Seems unlikely they’d ever do anything like that though.

Builtfordrough

Reaction score
Sorry, math was hard last night. You’re right, only need a 4K# rating per tire. Seems unlikely they’d ever do anything like that though.
So you’re saying there’s a chance.

I wrote to Ram back in Dec 2020 when I was hoping that they would update the cab as a 22MY released mid 2021. I mentioned an 8k axle then and here is part of their response:
I appreciate the time taken to share your viewpoints and feedback concerning our Ram 3500 lineup and your comments regarding certain features, options, or design changes you'd prefer to see in future model year vehicles.
While we cannot speculate regarding future product planning due to ongoing market changes and demands, your comments concerning the design and specifications on the Ram 3500 have been documented. Comments like yours are always welcomed and important way of obtaining feedback and helps providing the greatest possible satisfaction for customers.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

While the SRW is capable of this with just a wheel and tire change you won’t see it unless the vehicle classification weight limits change. Ram isn’t going to market a SRW with the same GVWR as a DRW.

Agree 100%. Really glad I bought a 22, because my trim/package now forces the 12” screen.

Builtfordrough

Reaction score
While the SRW is capable of this with just a wheel and tire change you won’t see it unless the vehicle classification weight limits change. Ram isn’t going to market a SRW with the same GVWR as a DRW.
It could happen. 3/4 ton trucks were for the longest time Class 2 vehicles limited to 10,000lbs GVWR. In recent years only Ram has kept the 250/2500 series limited to that cap. Ford and GM 3/4 tons are now Class 3 trucks with GVWR’s in the mid 11K lbs. Ram could take a bold step and market DRW’s with 15-15.5K GVWR’s as the current models have 15,750lbs of axle capacity. Is this likely, no. But I thought this thread was for wish list items.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
It could happen. 3/4 ton trucks were for the longest time Class 2 vehicles limited to 10,000lbs GVWR. In recent years only Ram has kept the 250/2500 series limited to that cap. Ford and GM 3/4 tons are now Class 3 trucks with GVWR’s in the mid 11K lbs. Ram could take a bold step and market DRW’s with 15-15.5K GVWR’s as the current models have 15,750lbs of axle capacity. Is this likely, no. But I thought this thread was for wish list items.

Big different in going from Class II to Class III, than jumping from Class III to Class IV.

Slick1361

Reaction score
I wish they'd finalize the details for the 2025s... I've been waiting for YEARS for them to update the body/styling to the updated half ton cab & body style. The heavy duty body is getting VERY long-in-tooth. That said, I read the rumors of no more V8s... not sure I could go for the twin turbo straight six... especially in the first production year. Have also read the body update may be held til 2026... deal breaker for me. I may have to settle for the current body style & order a 2024 to get what I want, and even THAT is nigh on impossible they way they've configured the option packages. I guess if things get dragged out, I'll just hang onto my '16 CCSB Tradesman (6.4L hemi/4.10s/4x4). Since I'm on a rant... seems like half the stuff that was standard on my Tradesman is now optional... even on the higher trim levels (floor storage cubbies, etc.). I guess I got lucky buying off the dealer's lot & getting a VERY well equipped Tradesman for a VERY good price. I found that I LOVED the 4.10s immediately... mileage has been great (high teens). My gripes are few... seat is a bit too high (short legs)... brake pedal is slightly too high off the floor... programming on the 6 speed tranny SUCKS... always caught in wrong gear. The hemi tick is less noticeable now, but I always use the PUP 0W-40 oil & either Mopar or Wix filter. I turn off the MDS EVERY time I get in the truck... hate it... engine lugs soo badly when engaged. My '16 only has 52k miles on it, so I don't HAVE to replace it... tho I'd like a few upgrades. I'm surprised the driver's seat foam is worn out already... I only weigh 185 lbs. Have had seat covers on from day one, so fabric's still good. I'll never see a deal like I got on this one tho... bought new in July of '16... sticker was $45.8k... I paid $35.2k. Other than a slew of recalls the first 2 years, it's been a GREAT truck.

jsalbre

Reaction score
I wish they'd finalize the details for the 2025s... I've been waiting for YEARS for them to update the body/styling to the updated half ton cab & body style. The heavy duty body is getting VERY long-in-tooth. That said, I read the rumors of no more V8s... not sure I could go for the twin turbo straight six... especially in the first production year. Have also read the body update may be held til 2026... deal breaker for me. I may have to settle for the current body style & order a 2024 to get what I want, and even THAT is nigh on impossible they way they've configured the option packages. I guess if things get dragged out, I'll just hang onto my '16 CCSB Tradesman (6.4L hemi/4.10s/4x4). Since I'm on a rant... seems like half the stuff that was standard on my Tradesman is now optional... even on the higher trim levels (floor storage cubbies, etc.). I guess I got lucky buying off the dealer's lot & getting a VERY well equipped Tradesman for a VERY good price. I found that I LOVED the 4.10s immediately... mileage has been great (high teens). My gripes are few... seat is a bit too high (short legs)... brake pedal is slightly too high off the floor... programming on the 6 speed tranny SUCKS... always caught in wrong gear. The hemi tick is less noticeable now, but I always use the PUP 0W-40 oil & either Mopar or Wix filter. I turn off the MDS EVERY time I get in the truck... hate it... engine lugs soo badly when engaged. My '16 only has 52k miles on it, so I don't HAVE to replace it... tho I'd like a few upgrades. I'm surprised the driver's seat foam is worn out already... I only weigh 185 lbs. Have had seat covers on from day one, so fabric's still good. I'll never see a deal like I got on this one tho... bought new in July of '16... sticker was $45.8k... I paid $35.2k. Other than a slew of recalls the first 2 years, it's been a GREAT truck.
The engine doesn't lug when MDS is engaged, it just vibrates differently, because half the cylinders aren't firing off. It only goes into MDS when it doesn't need the power produced by running all 8 cylinders. For it to "lug" it would need to somehow be in 4 cyl mode when it needs more power, and power demand is what causes it to switch back to 8 cyl mode, which takes only 4 milliseconds.

Enve46

Reaction score
The engine doesn't lug when MDS is engaged, it just vibrates differently, because half the cylinders aren't firing off. It only goes into MDS when it doesn't need the power produced by running all 8 cylinders. For it to "lug" it would need to somehow be in 4 cyl mode when it needs more power, and power demand is what causes it to switch back to 8 cyl mode, which takes only 4 milliseconds.
That is a great explanation however I can tell you now my truck does not deactivate in 4 milliseconds because I can feel it, recognize it and wait for it when I forget to turn it off. I moved off a country road in TN and if I forget to turn it off when leaving the neighborhood it is very apparent quickly. On the highway it’s much more livable but around town and say, below 55 mph it’s worthless and annoying. End rant hahaha

Pasta4lnch

Reaction score
Interesting - after reading all the things about MDS I actually engaged the "eco" light so I know when its on and I still can't feel or hear it...had no idea my old 1500 was MDS too until I found the sticker when I sold it.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
Someone could always buy a 8.4” screen off a wrecked truck, reprogram it. Sell your 12” for big money. Hassle but I agree it sucks all these forced options. I hate it too

Agree 100%. Really glad I bought a 22, because my trim/package now forces the 12” screen.

bigjoe

Reaction score
Looks like 2024 MY will not have any meaningful changes so I made a list of what I would like to see RAM makes for 2025. Upgrade the cab to 1500. I would like an even bigger mega cab where the back seats slides up and 2 jump seats in the back space to make it a 7 seater. Yes that makes the truck longer but I don’t see a big deal adding another 8-12 inches to the Mega cab. Towing #s and/or payload might be lower but not everyone needs to tow 20k plus lbs. Update interior to the same design as the EV 1500 REV is enough I believe that will still be class leading. A higher limited elite or tungsten model with fancier seats and head liner nicer materials overall. Head up display and panoramic sunroof is a no brainer. Upgraded towing and payload tech. Update the exterior enough to be different from this current model but nothing too dramatic as the still looks good. 8 speed transmission would be nice and that will also help with mpg. Bump the SO Cummins to 400 HP and 1000 TQ and the HO Cummins to 475 HP and 1225 TQ with Max tow of over 40k lbs to take back our class leading titles. Last thing lower the price! Lol! Am I missing anything?
As someone who has been selling these trucks for years, most of this will never happen.

1500 size cab has issues with the transmission hump location. Engineers have to try and figure out a way. Hoping they do. I'm 6'6" and could use the extra leg room.

Longer megacab won't ever happen. There's no market for it and the engineering would be a disaster.

Upgrading the interior will come to match the 2025 Ram 1500's.

Heads up display will come at some point. Panoramic sunroof won't, it reduces the structural integrity of the truck. Same reason they won't do sunroofs in Cab & Chassis models.

Full remodel will be coming at some point. We are going into the 5th year of the 5th Gen. I'd expect that to come when they can figure out the bigger cab size.

8 speed transmission likely will come eventually, but the 10 speed is stupid and especially not needed with the I6 Cummins. Would likely see limited MPG increases. After treatment systems destroy any MPG capability.

As far as towing and specs, we are getting close to our limits. If they make the 5500 any more capable, it will be borderline a semi. The issue with raising current max tow and max payload is that you would need new engineering or more leaf packs in the rear, making the ride a whole lot bumpier when empty. You will always max out your payload before you max out the tow rating because if you want 40k towing, you would need 6k payload and no standard (non cab & chassis) will do 6k consistently and comfortably. Not to mention the trucks only weigh 6500-7500lbs empty. So y'all really want to tow 35k+ lbs with a 7k lb truck? Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

To me, the cab size and price balanced with reliability needs to be their biggest focus. Ram's capability will always be thier bread and butter.

UglyViking

Reaction score
[…] Panoramic sunroof won't, it reduces the structural integrity of the truck. […]

Full remodel will be coming at some point. We are going into the 5th year of the 5th Gen. I'd expect that to come when they can figure out the bigger cab size. […]
You made a lot of interesting points, but these two I found most interesting.

Considering how Ford does the pano sunroof, and seems to somehow maintain structural integrity, how do you figure that Ram can't do the same?

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
As someone who has been selling these trucks for years, most of this will never happen.

1500 size cab has issues with the transmission hump location. Engineers have to try and figure out a way. Hoping they do. I'm 6'6" and could use the extra leg room.

Longer megacab won't ever happen. There's no market for it and the engineering would be a disaster.

Upgrading the interior will come to match the 2025 Ram 1500's.

Heads up display will come at some point. Panoramic sunroof won't, it reduces the structural integrity of the truck. Same reason they won't do sunroofs in Cab & Chassis models.

Full remodel will be coming at some point. We are going into the 5th year of the 5th Gen. I'd expect that to come when they can figure out the bigger cab size.

8 speed transmission likely will come eventually, but the 10 speed is stupid and especially not needed with the I6 Cummins. Would likely see limited MPG increases. After treatment systems destroy any MPG capability.

As far as towing and specs, we are getting close to our limits. If they make the 5500 any more capable, it will be borderline a semi. The issue with raising current max tow and max payload is that you would need new engineering or more leaf packs in the rear, making the ride a whole lot bumpier when empty. You will always max out your payload before you max out the tow rating because if you want 40k towing, you would need 6k payload and no standard (non cab & chassis) will do 6k consistently and comfortably. Not to mention the trucks only weigh 6500-7500lbs empty. So y'all really want to tow 35k+ lbs with a 7k lb truck? Talk about the tail wagging the dog.

To me, the cab size and price balanced with reliability needs to be their biggest focus. Ram's capability will always be thier bread and butter.

There isn’t a 5th gen HD truck yet.

What truck is 6500-7500lbs empty and rated to tow 35K+?

How many of these trucks are even close to 7K lbs anyhow? Aside from reg cabs, thats over 1Klbs below the trucks with the over 40K GCWR’s. Even a reg cab DRW gas truck weighs more than 6,500.

Should be no issues with a panoramic sunroof, they already exist in the HD pickup market.

LegendaryLawman

Legendary Pessimist
Reaction score
ZF trans with lifetime filter and extended fluid, lol no thanks… and a silly electic shift knob…. probably similar garbage to the ZFs they ran in the 1500s. Or like the crap ZF PS pumps in the early 3rd gens.

A passenger side 10” screen becuse a 14.5” one in the front isn’t enough. You have gotta be kidding me. More garbage…

The possible plug in 2000 watt power station kinda sounds cool for a contractor type or camping.

I guess order a 24 before your stuck with more nonsense

Users who are viewing this thread