Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

jsalbre

Reaction score
That article is hilarious. The guy picks apart every single word of press releases as though they’re legal documents. They’re written in plain english, not legalese. No one is trying to hide or obfuscate anything in a press release. If they wanted to hide something they just wouldn’t put it in the press release.

The best part is his claim that pollution isn’t a problem anymore because you can’t see smog every single day in some random city. If I beat that guy with a brick until he bleeds I don't think he’d consider me putting the brick in a bag before I beat him so he doesn’t bleed all over the place the same thing as stopping.

rfullen280

Reaction score
That article is hilarious. The guy picks apart every single word of press releases as though they’re legal documents. They’re written in plain english, not legalese. No one is trying to hide or obfuscate anything in a press release. If they wanted to hide something they just wouldn’t put it in the press release.

The best part is his claim that pollution isn’t a problem anymore because you can’t see smog every single day in some random city. If I beat that guy with a brick until he bleeds I don't think he’d consider me putting the brick in a bag before I beat him so he doesn’t bleed all over the place the same thing as stopping.
I like his car reviews - and his opinions on electrification of everything. Your profile indicates you live in Idaho - how's the Californication going there these days?

jsalbre

Reaction score
I like his car reviews - and his opinions on electrification of everything. Your profile indicates you live in Idaho - how's the Californication going there these days?
The only thing “California” about anything in Idaho is some of the license plates, and the fact that now only 50% of the drivers (the long time Idaho locals) are driving 10-15 below the speed limit. There’s been an impact to house prices of course, but that’s been as much people from other states as California.

Surveys have shown that the political split of people moving to Idaho pretty closely matches what it was before the population boom.

Edit: We also have an In-N-Out Burger now, so I guess that’s something else California. I don’t care for the food, but the traffic insanity around it annoys me. No fast food is worth an hour and a half drive through line.

rfullen280

Reaction score
The only thing “California” about anything in Idaho is some of the license plates, and the fact that now only 50% of the drivers (the long time Idaho locals) are driving 10-15 below the speed limit. There’s been an impact to house prices of course, but that’s been as much people from other states as California.

Surveys have shown that the political split of people moving to Idaho pretty closely matches what it was before the population boom.
That is great news! Hopefully your population votes/regulates in the same way they did prior to the boom... what surveys don't account for is the "energy" that the people who want change bring. Most likely because they're not working, and those who prefer the way it was are busy at jobs that actually make stuff.

However, I still maintain that the fed gov hates your diesel, and will do anything in their power to get rid of it. For the children of course.

Regardless, the Meridian to Boise interstate is looking better. There's usually only one wreck at a time when I pass through.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Also, this is some Link Trash (so use it how you will), but there is precedent that states that the Right To Travel is an individual right…. https://wearechange.org/u-s-supreme...o-drive-automobile-on-public-highwaysstreets/

And…. Registration and Licensure under the guise of “safety” is a Trojan horse.

Also, if this emissions recall is such a big deal for us, the end user, then where is the push from Stellantis to get those Grid Heater Relays and Transmission Dipsticks (that actually have caused fires) fixed? Why hasn’t the DoJ sued them on our behalf?

mhraxo

Reaction score
Also, if this emissions recall is such a big deal for us, the end user, then where is the push from Stellantis to get those Grid Heater Relays and Transmission Dipsticks (that actually have caused fires) fixed? Why hasn’t the DoJ sued them on our behalf?
Because they didn’t try and hide/defeat it they recalled them themselves

Jacob

Reaction score
Diesel trucks in Texas only have a safety inspection.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Guess I thought wrong. I seem to see a lot of complaints on their DEF consumption when towing - though the ratio should be the same as fuel use.

My '18 would noticeably vary the % of DEF to fuel from empty to towing, only about ±1.4% empty up to ±2.0% towing, but the EGR would go to 0% above ~65% engine load so that stands to reason. That's certainly sipping DEF as 2-3% DEF consumption has listed as the norm.

The '22 is much more consistent in it's DEF ratio at ±2.4% now that is has some miles on it. Towing was up at 2.9% and empty was down at 2.2%, but after ~7500 miles the use has been steady at ±2.4%. The EGR doesn't seem to go to 0% based on engine load with this truck, so the steady ratio is more appropriate. The EGR valve does close off more and more the higher the load, but exhaust pressure also goes up so it doesn't need to be as open to flow the required amount.

ETX Ram

Reaction score
Only for one more year!!! Then we can be unsafe again!!!
Thankfully the inspection for +7500 lb trailers is now gone. Just re-upped our tags with "self inspection" declaration. It was a huge PITA hooking up and towing +14k fifth wheel 90 minutes just to take to an inspection place that understood how to accomplish the inspection. I'm positive that I do a lot more thorough inspection every time I back underneath the camper TBH. The real "gotcha is that still had to pay the county clerk the inspection fee!

DougB

Reaction score
Thankfully the inspection for +7500 lb trailers is now gone. Just re-upped our tags with "self inspection" declaration. It was a huge PITA hooking up and towing +14k fifth wheel 90 minutes just to take to an inspection place that understood how to accomplish the inspection. I'm positive that I do a lot more thorough inspection every time I back underneath the camper TBH. The real "gotcha is that still had to pay the county clerk the inspection fee!
Agreed. Paying them to do away with the inspection now. They’re gonna gets theirs regardless.

renagade69

Reaction score
Because they didn’t try and hide/defeat it they recalled them themselves

They didn't hide it. The DOJ stepped in pushing their Green New Deal. Its a settlement made with them to a lawsuit and no admittance to guilt. It doesent matter if your rite. They hate diesels and they have all the power.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
So something's been bugging me about this. I recall a thread or multiple threads where Ram CTD owners reported a noticeable improvement in performance of their trucks at a very specific mileage. 6500 miles sticks in my mind but not sure and I can't find one of those threads that mentioned it.

Could this have something to do with the "defeat device?" Maybe these trucks came off the line in full emissions compliance but then after a safe period of time, calibrations changed allowing for better performance and/or decreased DEF usage? I don't know, it's just a theory, or conspiracy theory possibly.

All I know is my truck runs fine and I'm satisfied with its DEF usage. I hope it's not involved in a recall, I don't want anyone messing with it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
So something's been bugging me about this. I recall a thread or multiple threads where Ram CTD owners reported a noticeable improvement in performance of their trucks at a very specific mileage. 6500 miles sticks in my mind but not sure and I can't find one of those threads that mentioned it.

Could this have something to do with the "defeat device?" Maybe these trucks came off the line in full emissions compliance but then after a safe period of time, calibrations changed allowing for better performance and/or decreased DEF usage? I don't know, it's just a theory, or conspiracy theory possibly.

All I know is my truck runs fine and I'm satisfied with its DEF usage. I hope it's not involved in a recall, I don't want anyone messing with it.

There have been multiple threads on the magical 6K mile number over the years. I never noticed a mile or performance difference, but I did get a slight reduction in DEF consumption around 6-8K miles… but very slight and could easily be contributed to motor break-in, just like a slight performance gain could be.

You would think if it had anything to do with that kind of programming it would have been noticed by tuners who have played with the PCM tuning files.

mhraxo

Reaction score
They didn't hide it. The DOJ stepped in pushing their Green New Deal. Its a settlement made with them to a lawsuit and no admittance to guilt. It doesent matter if your rite. They hate diesels and they have all the power.
What does the grid heaters and dipstick recall have to do with the green new deal????? Another tin foil hat conspiracy. Sometimes I’m so amazed at the time I served this country for some people to have the right to their stupid conspiracy theories

flan

Reaction score
Here’s mine. 18.8K

Yes, it needs an underhood bath. Just finished up 3 months of hunting and back road driving yesterday…. Well, 3 months of taking my guns for nature walks.

View attachment 67142
Quite the difference! Gotta wonder why. Maybe a different thread on HO vs SO EGR crossover pipe color differences :D

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
What does the grid heaters and dipstick recall have to do with the green new deal????? Another tin foil hat conspiracy. Sometimes I’m so amazed at the time I served this country for some people to have the right to their stupid conspiracy theories
Well those are fire hazards and RAM recalls nothing to do with the lawsuit for CUMMINS….

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread