Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cummins caught emissions cheating - fined 1.67 billion mega thread.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
from what i have heard from the 67A calibration it just increases the DEF usage so thats nothing to worry about really so the sky is not falling and owners were not frauded out of the HP and TQ they paid for like one person here keeps pushing. and we will likely see GM and ford follow suit in the next few years

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
from what i have heard from the 67A calibration it just increases the DEF usage so thats nothing to worry about really so the sky is not falling and owners were not frauded out of the HP and TQ they paid for like one person here keeps pushing. and we will likely see GM and ford follow suit in the next few years

I’ll take more DEF over more EGR any day.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Stop with this reasonable logic, we’re only doing hyperbole and paranoia in here! ;)

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As I read it, this is all about NOx, so yes, it's in the DOC/SCR and DEF is likely to be the fall guy here.

AFAIK, 13-18 were sipping DEF and chugging more EGR, so the 13-18 guys should be happy if that's what it ends up being.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
AFAIK, 13-18 were sipping DEF and chugging more EGR, so the 13-18 guys should be happy if that's what it ends up being.

To validate that, my ‘22 HO uses 140% more DEF than my ‘18 HO did, and the ‘22’s EGR crossover tube isn’t discolored from heat yet (19K miles) but the ‘18’s did quickly.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

I think GM and Ford already guzzle DEF like a drunken sailor on shore leave.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I think GM and Ford already guzzle DEF like a drunken sailor on shore leave.
Not the early ones i know a few friends with the fords and GMs in the same year range as the 13-18 cummins effected and the were going through less than 1/2 the amount of DEF my 19 used but they also use a TON of EGR in comparison. To my Knowledge the 23 fords upped the DEF usage substantially.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score

It will likely happen, but it’s happening much slower. My ‘18 looked like that by 10K miles, or sooner.

Also, I wonder what the EGR difference is HO to SO since the higher compression ratio can produce more NOx.

flan

Reaction score
It will likely happen, but it’s happening much slower. My ‘18 looked like that by 10K miles, or sooner.

Also, I wonder what the EGR difference is HO to SO since the higher compression ratio can produce more NOx.
Good question. I only have 22k and pull about 9k around the “mountains” of the northeast with a somewhat heavy foot. It did brown up relatively early. I remember the old 24 valve 2nd gens compressor housings would brown up the same. It was one way to tell if it got used as a tow vehicle or grocery getter.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Good question. I only have 22k and pull about 9k around the “mountains” of the northeast with a somewhat heavy foot. It did brown up relatively early. I remember the old 24 valve 2nd gens compressor housings would brown up the same. It was one way to tell if it got used as a tow vehicle or grocery getter.

I'm just under 19K miles and about 1/3 of those miles are towing 9-12K lbs around the Idaho mountains. Thou the harder you run the lower the EGR that's being used, but the hotter that EGR flow is.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I can tell you gmc doesn’t. I own one as well and it uses def at about 1/3 the rate as my 22 ram did. I kept checking the gauge think it was seriously broke

Guess I thought wrong. I seem to see a lot of complaints on their DEF consumption when towing - though the ratio should be the same as fuel use.

A friend that runs GMC's sure does complain about his DEF usage but is vague when asked about actual MPG.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Guess I thought wrong. I seem to see a lot of complaints on their DEF consumption when towing - though the ratio should be the same as fuel use.

A friend that runs GMC's sure does complain about his DEF usage but is vague when asked about actual MPG.
I get the same complaints from my GMC friends - but theirs is a little worse -

At random, they get failure of the DEF system, and the only way to get out of limp mode is to replace the def pump (and have the dealer reset it). I've searched for the alfaobd type software for their truck...but I don't think they're as lucky as us.

Regardless, in my 3 years on this Ram, they've done 3 DEF pumps, 2 fuel rail sensors, and at least 1 fuel pressure regulator (which all require everythign on top of the motor to come off for repair...)

Yet they still want their GMC... /foreheadslap

Oh, and they live in CA, where you can't get your registration renewed if you have a CEL... (even for something as simple as "fuel pressure high too long on deceleration".

Jay P

Reaction score

Both GM and Ford have bigger DEF tanks than Ram does so it may just take longer to get to a message on the dash but the actual amount used is the same as the other manufactures.

jsalbre

Reaction score
Even Texas won’t let you renew registration with a failed inspection, and a CEL is an automatic failure.

rfullen280

Reaction score
Even Texas won’t let you renew registration with a failed inspection, and a CEL is an automatic failure.
That amazes me - especially with the range of things that can pop a CEL that have zero to do with operability or safety.

Users who are viewing this thread