Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

1ram

Reaction score
There are many reports and pictures of broken K-1 snap rings. They can break and/or pop out of the groove.

A broken K1 looks like this

4f3fd84d2c5675baa0e5007d76c11f12.jpg

Fortunately, my gears 1-4 didn’t eat itself in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
A broken K1 looks like this

4f3fd84d2c5675baa0e5007d76c11f12.jpg

Fortunately, my gears 1-4 didn’t eat itself in the process.

That k1 snap ring is intact. Not broken. Just dislodged from its milled slot in the k1 drum.

An actual “break” would be in pieces within the drum. Most likely if the truck was forced to continue driving. I have not seen any of the ones that actually broke. Just ones that popped out.

1ram

Reaction score
That k1 snap ring is intact. Not broken. Just dislodged from its milled slot in the k1 drum.

The ones that actually “break” are in pieces within the drum. Usually the result of the truck being forced to continue driving.

That’s even better news

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

An actual “break” would be in pieces within the drum. Most likely if the truck was forced to continue driving. I have not seen any of the ones that actually broke. Just ones that popped out.
I've seen pics posted of broken rings, not just the normal as manufactured as-designed split. Perhaps they were broken after popping out. Who knows.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen pics posted of broken rings, not just the normal as manufactured as-designed split. Perhaps they were broken after popping out. Who knows.
If you come across any that are shattered I’d appreciate it if you’d send them my way. I was thinking back to the very beginning of this saga and I seem to remember images of one that had been broken apart. But that was almost a year ago now so my memory might be a little cloudy on that.

Trickerick

Reaction score
I will fill out what I can. The truck is already at the dealer.
I would be happy to add each of your trucks to the spreadsheet. Just need the following info from each of you:

1. Date you ordered them truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

13. Was / Is the truck currently identified under Customer Satisfaction Notification 71A?

1. Date you ordered them truck (if applicable): Purchased from on lot inventory.

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date)): unknown

3. Date you purchased the truck: 7/4/2023

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure: approximately 1,293.

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345": unknown.

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable): pending.

7. Were you towing at the time of failure? No.

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? At first indication, yes; since, no.

9. Did reverse work? Yes.

10. What date did the transmission fail? 10/9/23

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? Pending.

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? Ordered new transmission.

13. Was / Is the truck currently identified under Customer Satisfaction Notification 71A? Yes. Had the notification when I bought it, unknown to me.

R3500

Reaction score
Please add me to the list. My failure happened coming home from our cabin in a very remote area of New Mexico towing a dump trailer maybe 1/3 full with firewood. After descending 1/4 the way down the mountain from our cabin, we pulled over to check our load on the truck and dump trailer. After everything checked out ok, we pulled back out on the forrest road and heard a load bang from underneath and immediately stopped. Scared the crap out of me. Tried to move forward and the truck would not move. I then put it back in park and then back in drive and was able to get it moving, but most likely in 4th or 5th gear. It seemed as though 1-4th gears were unavailable as everyone here has reported. Being stuck on a narrow forrest road, blocking traffic and with no cell phone reception, I needed to try and get the truck to a safe location. I was able to drive down the remainder of the mountain, about 20 miles to a spot where I could pull over safely and get cell phone service. I then called a buddy for help. He drove 140 miles with his flatbed trailer and towed me back home. We then had to go back in his truck to pick up my Dump trailer. What a nightmare! Truck was towed to dealer on 09/20/23 and is still awaiting parts. Dealer has one transmission tech and currently has 5 fire service trucks awaiting the same repair. The Fire service trucks obviously take precedence over mine. My parts are supposed to arrive on Tuesday the 17th.

1. Date you ordered them truck (if applicable): Purchased from on lot inventory. Purchased from inventory

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date)): 08/2022

3. Date you purchased the truck: 01/20/23

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure: approximately 1,930.

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. 2G-0924

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable): pending.

7. Were you towing at the time of failure? Yes.

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? No.

9. Did reverse work? Yes.

10. What date did the transmission fail? 09/15/23

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? Pending.

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? Ordered Parts.

13. Was / Is the truck currently identified under Customer Satisfaction Notification 71A? Yes, but 4 days after my truck was towed to the dealer.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hello Ram Customers,

Should anyone have any questions/concerns, or need any repair assistance, please send our team a PM, we'd be happy to assist. Thank you

William
Ram Cares

ds18

Reaction score
I’m really sorry to hear all of this. I keep getting branded as a tinfoil hat wearer myself. I guess people think I’m making this all up? Not sure. The very reason I’ve continued doing this spreadsheet and keeping up with the 6 different online platforms where I have this data presented is to hopefully prevent the very situation you just found yourself in. Unfortunately it’s hard to convince some of these dealerships, or Ram for that matter, that this issue is serious enough that it demands further attention. As I mentioned in a previous comment here, I also tried to speak with NHTSA on this matter but was given the cold shoulder.
Because it is a small percentage of the total number of trucks built, it just doesn’t “look” like a big enough issue I guess. There have been (as far as I know) no injuries or property damage from this failure, so that helps “their” cause along and belittles the issue even further. I’m glad no one has been hurt but I still think it’s a matter of time before there’s a serious accident as a result of this failure.

In any case I truly appreciate the information and I’ll get you on the spreadsheet. If you need any additional info, please feel free to reach out. The one good thing I can report is that it does seem like they’re getting better and repairing these in a timely fashion. The most recent trucks returned to service were all repaired around the 20-30 day mark, give or take.

Thanks for sharing and glad you and your family are safe.

@mbarber84 Please add me to the list 2022 RAM 3500 SRW, 5502 miles.

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable): Dec 2021 Laramie 3500 with upgraded HO motor and Aisin
2. Date of manufacture: 10/2022
3. Date you purchased the truck: I received it 11/26/2022
4. Mileage on the odometer at the time of failure: 5502 miles, less than 300 miles total towing
5. Serial Number of failed transmission:: 2J-0075
6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)? TBD
7. Were you towing at the time of failure? Yes, a 5000lb travel trailer
8. Did 1st through 4th gear work? No
9. Did reverse work? Yes
10. What date did the transmission fail? 8/11/2023
11. When was the truck returned to you after repair? TBD
12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts? TBD

Further details and timeline:
  • Aisin blew up 8/11/23 at 2:30PM.
  • Had my family and travel trailer on way home from camping trip in 4 lanes of Friday afternoon rush hour traffic just before Exit 2 on I95 north in NH headed to Maine.
  • Coasted to the side of the road with hazards on pushing other vehicles out of the way as I was 3 lanes over and couldn't risk being stuck in the middle of the interstate.
  • Immediately called Chrysler roadside assistance and my dealer. After two hours on the phone and being charged $750. They completely left us hanging stating we were out of market and no tow providers available, they also said our dealer isn't part of their program or could not be located, IRA CDJR Saco Maine.
  • For safety reasons I sent my family home in an Uber $105
  • I was forced to find a local tow company (National Wrecker) to get my camper home and truck to our dealer. 5 hours stranded on the side of the road and $928 towing fee.
  • 12 days in dealer has no available loaner cars or trucks available
  • 12 days in dealer is struggling with Chrysler to submit information for replacement transmission no ETA
  • Previous to this trip I had scheduled the recall for the diesel grid heater relay to be replaced on 7/12/23 at my dealer IRA CDJR Saco Maine. Two weeks before this appointment I added to the service ticket to inspect the transmission and I provided the dealer the Chrysler TSB information on the K1 snap ring and Ram HD forum information of the failures. I noted my truck build and details fall squarely in the middle of the truck's that are failing, I was worried about towing in the upcoming camping trips and wanted to avoid putting my family in a bad situation. The service manager made me feel paranoid and stated on the ticket customer has been reading forums and worried about the transmission. They updated the ticket sending us on our way citing no issues found and that our VIN wasn't part of the problem.
@mbarber84 Update. Got the truck back 10/4/23. They put in a new Aisin SN 3F-2187 and trans cooler. I did finally get a rental 1500 18 days in, sure it smelled of heavy smoke, had a tail light out and no window washer fluid but at least I had a truck. Absolutely no luck getting reimbursed for towing, family uber home or truck payments while it was down. In fact the service manager that was helping either left or got fired and the GM has no idea where or how reimbursement was being worked. I opened a case with FCA myself and submitted the receipts won't hold my breath. If anyone wants a perfect condition low mile 3500 HMU, not getting stuck again.

Usual_Suspect02

Reaction score
Is your truck identified under CSN-71A?

Not sure, I’ll reach out. Was assigned a Ram customer care manager today who is supposed to be expediting the parts to the dealer. Supposed to have an update on Wednesday. I’ll ask the dealer if it was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Manufactured 11 - 22 Where do I find the serial numbers on the transmission?
Ok thanks I’ll add that info

The transmission serial number is on a blue metal tag on the side of the transmission itself. I think the driver side but can’t remember for sure. It’ll be a stamped metal tag with a six character serial number like “2A-1234”

R3500

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's overall sentiment is on keeping these 2022 trucks after the transmission has been repaired/Replaced. In the near future, will they be on the black list of trucks to avoid buying used? Will they have a resale value less than what is typical of a one to two year old truck? Anyone who has been effected by this issue, please share your feelings.

Adam06

Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's overall sentiment is on keeping these 2022 trucks after the transmission has been repaired/Replaced. In the near future, will they be on the black list of trucks to avoid buying used? Will they have a resale value less than what is typical of a one to two year old truck? Anyone who has been effected by this issue, please share your feelings.
Don’t know yet can’t even get the darn thing fixed. But if it’s done right, I have a warranty to 120,000 miles bumper to bumper . Only have 8,000 now so I should be covered.

flan

Reaction score
I have not been affected, but I think it would be a positive, not a negative. The future buyer will not have the
At “what if” thought in his head, as it’s already been done taken care of. Similar to the CP4.2 recall.

Users who are viewing this thread