Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear indicator option in gauge cluster?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
yup, def in the evic. there isn't any gear option at all. I'll give it a few key cycles and see if iit pops up.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
yup, def in the evic. there isn't any gear option at all. I'll give it a few key cycles and see if iit pops up.

You're following this post?

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
there are literally 3 options that call out gear! whoddah thunk.

Tizzy

Reaction score
Ya, I got mine turned on in my 19 2500 Laramie.
Our 17 Durango R/T had it, but my 17 1500 Limited didn’t. It would have if I’d have known about it back then. lol
Thanks!

jerrypw

Reaction score
I just turned this on in the EVIC screen setup.

In AlfaOBD

Car configuration change: ECUConfig 4-Actual Gear Display: Yes

Scroll to The screen setup option in your EVIC and scroll up/down until you see Current Gear.
Press the right arrow and scroll up to On.
Press the right arrow to set.
Press the left arrow to exit, press left arrow to exit setup.

View attachment 6334

View attachment 6330

View attachment 6331

View attachment 6332

View attachment 6333

I had enabled this prior in AlphaOBD using (I think) the setting below, but never looked at the EVIC display setup after. Sticks between key cycles and doesn't change the use of the lockout indications.
worked like a champ. thanks for the info

Lootawi

Reaction score
In AlfaOBD

Im a noob in this and i just bought the AlfaObd how can i even find this in the AOBD ? I own a 3500 Cummins 2020 model. Thanks in advance

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Connect to the BCM

Read Status ID and upload to Google Drive and/or save settings config file.

The little car hood open gets you into the config

John Jensen

Reaction score
Im a noob in this and i just bought the AlfaObd how can i even find this in the AOBD ? I own a 3500 Cummins 2020 model. Thanks in advance
Here's what I did with AlfaOBD on my 2020
AlfaOBD:
Car configuration Change:
ECUConfig 4:
Actual Gear for Display: Yes

Vehicle:
Then go to EVIC
Select settings
Select Gear Display: Yes

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
I don’t have an alphaobd device - I have done the trick to use the - button and put the transmission to 8 and can see the gears. But - I think it loses its ability to go in to eco mode when I do that. Anyone else notice that?

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
Yes, I use the gear limiter as well. And it is mainly to turn off the MDS. Of course using tow/haul mode also turns off the MDS but it also changes the shift points. Unfortunately there is not option in the menu to turn on the gear display. A lot people have complained about it.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I don’t have an alphaobd device - I have done the trick to use the - button and put the transmission to 8 and can see the gears. But - I think it loses its ability to go in to eco mode when I do that. Anyone else notice that?
Thats designed that way all is good

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
That’s what I do every time I put it in D.

Just in the habit of it.

I hate how it goes into MDS in my ‘hood because I’m going like 20mph up a long hill.

TinGoatTravelers

Reaction score
Yes, I use the gear limiter as well. And it is mainly to turn off the MDS. Of course using tow/haul mode also turns off the MDS but it also changes the shift points. Unfortunately there is not option in the menu to turn on the gear display. A lot people have complained about it.
I may be wrong but I seem to recall the truck going in to eco mode with trailer attached and tow haul engaged. I watch the mileage a lot as I’m trying to get used to the new truck so I pay attention to that eco symbol…

JohnandDonna

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I seem to recall the truck going in to eco mode with trailer attached and tow haul engaged. I watch the mileage a lot as I’m trying to get used to the new truck so I pay attention to that eco symbol…
I don't think the eco mode always correlates with activation of the MDS. I do know that when in tow/haul the MDS does not activate. I myself have never seen the eco light come on while in tow/haul mode. I wish the truck did not have MDS. I can not believe that it is good for the engine. When it does come on, the engine always sounds a bit funny. Just like how the V6 Pentastar engine in my wife's Pacifica shuts off when you come to a stop (unless we press what I call the A-Ho button), I really really hate these EPA gimmicks!

Clayinfl

Reaction score
You are welcome for sure, glad I could help
"The little connectors". If you are talking about the bypass cable I leave those connectors connected and just tuck the plugs into the top of the kick panel - totally out of the way and there for the next time needed. No need to completely remove.

Edit:
By the way. If you pull off the dash panel piece, that has the headlight switch, that 45 minutes will become 5 minutes. It is held on by push brackets, so just pull it straight back.
Thanks for the additional info John. I was not sure if there were any surprise tabs that would easily break off. Here is a pic for anyone searching later!

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 29

Clayinfl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the on the job training here. The Security bypass cable came in the mail today. I snipped off the keeper tabs as suggested, plugged in the cables as correctly shown here on the forum ( not as shown in the instructions) and updated my TPMS and Gear display using Jscan and my iPhone in under 5 minutes. The pointers from you guys made this super simple. Using the Jscan demo- embedded in the app- lets you find all the settings you want to change.

I would love to modify the ventilated seats to come on high instead of low. I couldn’t find anything but active/inactive. Is this a editable setting?

thanks
clay

Users who are viewing this thread