Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

JNichols11

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post. 2022 Ram 3500 with 5400 miles. Mine failed 18 days ago, and is at a dealer 500 miles from me. We broke down on vacation from Texas to Florida. It's the k1 snap ring failure, but they have not torn it down to verify that the problem is isolated to that. They have two trucks ahead of mine with the same transmission failure, and they say the parts are on backorder. I have started a case with Ram Care, and they are supposed to call me back to discuss options, but this is the second time they have told me they would contact me within 48 hours, so we will see. Never pulled anything more than a bumper pull yet. I have the vin, but don't know the build date without looking in the door, and its over 500 miles away from me.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post. 2022 Ram 3500 with 5400 miles. Mine failed 18 days ago, and is at a dealer 500 miles from me. We broke down on vacation from Texas to Florida. It's the k1 snap ring failure, but they have not torn it down to verify that the problem is isolated to that. They have two trucks ahead of mine with the same transmission failure, and they say the parts are on backorder. I have started a case with Ram Care, and they are supposed to call me back to discuss options, but this is the second time they have told me they would contact me within 48 hours, so we will see. Never pulled anything more than a bumper pull yet. I have the vin, but don't know the build date without looking in the door, and its over 500 miles away from me.
I added you to the spreadsheet. Were you towing at the time it failed? Also, if you have the ViN you can enter it on Rams window sticker URL and the build date is usually on the bottom left side of the window sticker. I can give you more exact info on that if you’d like. Just send me a PM.

Bullet112233

Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2022 ram laramie 3500 ho. 14K miles. Wasn't towing. Been at the dealership for a month and they are telling me August 28th for parts. Lost forward gears still has reverse. Vin is 3c63r3el0ng289513. Ordered in November 21, got it in April 22. Not sure of build date.

buschkn

Reaction score
Is there still no way to determine which vehicles are at risk of failure? Love our 2006 and 2016 Ram duallys and need to get a newer one but now I'm pretty gun shy. Lots of low mileage 2022 for sale, no surprise! Are the newer 2023s having the issue as well?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there still no way to determine which vehicles are at risk of failure? Love our 2006 and 2016 Ram duallys and need to get a newer one but now I'm pretty gun shy. Lots of low mileage 2022 for sale, no surprise! Are the newer 2023s having the issue as well?
The dealer can see if unsold ViN’s are affected and fix them prematurely if needed (RSU 23-065) but I’m not sure if it works for all sold trucks.

Pretty sure the 23’s are sorted out. I have one 23 truck on my spreadsheet with a k1 failure but it was actually manufactured in December 22 with a December manufactured Aisin.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Add me to the list. 2022 ram laramie 3500 ho. 14K miles. Wasn't towing. Been at the dealership for a month and they are telling me August 28th for parts. Lost forward gears still has reverse. Vin is 3c63r3el0ng289513. Ordered in November 21, got it in April 22. Not sure of build date.
I will get you on the spreadsheet. If you could get your build date and transmission serial number at some point I would appreciate it. Please keep me updated as you find out more

Also what date did the transmission fail?

XPS

Reaction score
That's a bummer. Seems like yours is an earlier built 22 which I haven't seen many failures reported (some, but most seem to be later in the year). Please confirm your build date of the truck (and transmission serial number when you get a chance). My truck is has an April 22 build date and march 22 transmission build date. I was really hoping the failures in the early part of 2022 was clear.

Reaction score
Update on our truck that went down June 30. Dealer is accumulating TSB repair parts, last part is in delivery, so they say!?!!
Ram Care has went silent and dealer is blowing a lot of smoke to buy time. As much as I hate attorneys and lawsuits… is there any talk anywhere of some sort of class action arising over this situation?
I thought dealing with heavy equipment and heavy truck companies was bad… Ram corporate is taking the cake on top notch customer screwing.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Update on our truck that went down June 30. Dealer is accumulating TSB repair parts, last part is in delivery, so they say!?!!
Ram Care has went silent and dealer is blowing a lot of smoke to buy time. As much as I hate attorneys and lawsuits… is there any talk anywhere of some sort of class action arising over this situation?
I thought dealing with heavy equipment and heavy truck companies was bad… Ram corporate is taking the cake on top notch customer screwing.
Doesn’t seem like there’s anything happening on a unified scale. Multiple individual cases but nothing large. From the conversations I’ve had with others, it would seem that what you are currently experiencing is pretty much the norm unfortunately.

Reaction score
Add to the list 3,009 miles today getting on the highway two loud shifts once I got off the highway lost all gears. Empty truck.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Add to the list 3,009 miles today getting on the highway two loud shifts once I got off the highway lost all gears. Empty truck.
Will do. Just need the info for your truck.

1. Date you ordered the truck (if applicable)

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

3. Date you purchased the truck

4. Mileage on odometer at the time of failure

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

6. Serial Number of replacement transmission (if applicable)

7. Were you towing at the time of failure?

8. Did 1st through 4th gear work?

9. Did reverse work?

10. What date did the transmission fail?

11. When was the truck returned to you after repair?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

Rotornut

Reaction score
Thanks for the add to the forum.
You can add me to the long sad list of this issue.
Happened last night 7/28/23 coming home from a 7 hour trip.
Was not towing
7,400 miles on truck
Rolling up to a stop light. Light turned green, hit accelerator, three loud bangs then no power forward. Rolled into nearby parking lot. Reverse worked fine. No power movement in drive. 4WD would move forward slowly.

Truck had recently been in shop for a STILL unidentified power drain. Dealer said they could not identify and suggested I not let the truck set without starting for more than 3 days.

Also, have had from day one, the shifter randomly not go into the park position when shifting to it. A little extra pressure up needed to get it there. Dealer said it’s just not broke in yet.

This all seems to be a nightmare with no absolute solution. Not looking forward to the long term aggravation.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Was not towing
7,400 miles on truck
Rolling up to a stop light. Light turned green, hit accelerator, three loud bangs then no power forward. Rolled into nearby parking lot. Reverse worked fine. No power movement in drive. 4WD would move forward slowly.

Truck had recently been in shop for a STILL unidentified power drain. Dealer said they could not identify and suggested I not let the truck set without starting for more than 3 days.

Also, have had from day one, the shifter randomly not go into the park position when shifting to it. A little extra pressure up needed to get it there. Dealer said it’s just not broke in yet.

This all seems to be a nightmare with no absolute solution. Not looking forward to the long term aggravation.
Sorry to hear this. I’m assuming it’s a 2022 Aisin?
Can you get me the following information for the spreadsheet?

2. Date of manufacture (See sticker on driver door for "date of manufacture (Build date))

5. Serial Number of failed transmission (see blue stamped metal tag on side of the transmission. It will be something like "2H-2345"

9. Did reverse work?

12. Did your dealer replace the transmission with a new unit or was the failed transmission repaired with parts?

Rotornut

Reaction score
I’ll start working on it and get it to you as soon as I can.

Should I just post it back here or?????

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Was not towing
7,400 miles on truck

Shouldn’t take any extra pressure to get the transmission in park. Sounds like either you had a loose shifter column or there’s an issue with the mechanism.

Most recent info I’ve heard from folks just now experiencing this failure seems to suggest repair parts are pushed out to mid / late august as of now.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ll start working on it and get it to you as soon as I can.

Should I just post it back here or?????
Yes you can just post the info in another reply to me in this thread. I think since you’re new, your private messaging is restricted? (Not sure on that)

Rotornut

Reaction score
Ok thanks.

im not sure if the “unidentified electrical” issue has anything to do with the shifter issue. Dealer would not verify.

Rotornut

Reaction score
Yes you can just post the info in another reply to me in this thread. I think since you’re new, your private messaging is restricted? (Not sure on that)

2022 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab SRW -4x4

*I did forget to add, in my original post, that I did get the “4x4 unavailable“ alert as well as the Engine light During the “Failure Event”.

Purchased off Dealer lot
09-2022
10/24/2022
Unable to obtain at this time. Vehicle in Towing storage awaiting “tow call”
From Dealer.

No
No
9. Did reverse work?
Yes
7/28/2023

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie Megacab SRW -4x4

*I did forget to add, in my original post, that I did get the “4x4 unavailable“ alert as well as the Engine light During the “Failure Event”.

Purchased off Dealer lot
09-2022
10/24/2022
Unable to obtain at this time. Vehicle in Towing storage awaiting “tow call”
From Dealer.

No
No
9. Did reverse work?
Yes
7/28/2023

Thanks for the info! Hopefully you can get it in to the dealer soon

Reaction score
Update on our truck
TSB repair kit installed and truck picked up 7/28/2023.
Failed/repaired tranny S/N 2F-3199.

Ended up with an experienced tech that had aisin experience do the repair. After talking with him while picking the truck up, I feel much better about the overall condition of the repaired transmission. Put 300 miles on it with the truck camper in bed, all seems good at this point.

Still hunting for a human at Ram Cares to sort out the chaos this has caused!!
Will continue to watch this thread and I am also sharing our experiences with any 2022-23 HO ram owners I come across

Thank you for your efforts!!!

Users who are viewing this thread