Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trailer TPMS lost configuration

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
I guess you stumpped RAM CARES as I have seen no response.
Hello there,

The best way to get ahold of us is by tagging us or by sending a direct message! We'd love to hear more about what you're experiencing and see where we can assist. Please send us a direct message to get started.

Callie
Ram Cares

GBCrew2

Reaction score
Yeah I am also having the same issues. Paired both trailers, took one for a drive and everything worked great. Woke up this morning, and trailer screen was up with red lines at wheels. Changed to the other trailer and now both say not configured.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Yeah I am also having the same issues. Paired both trailers, took one for a drive and everything worked great. Woke up this morning, and trailer screen was up with red lines at wheels. Changed to the other trailer and now both say not configured.
Once the trailer wheels stop turning the sensors go to sleep after a few minutes and stop transmitting data. Saves battery. Once that happens, all you see is red lines until the trailer moves again. Not sure why you are getting "not configured" message. Is your truck a 22? They seem to have more issues than the 21s.

drstaley

Reaction score
I just went through the TTPMS configuration on my new 2023 3500 Limited. The config worked as it should but after shutting the engine off the HUD said TTPMS not configured. I went through the process a second time, all the tires paired perfectly but then the monitoring pressure went to red lines after shutting it off the second time. I didn't drive around with the trailer I must admit so I don't know if the sensors will "wake up" when they start rotating. I will post on this after I pull around the block a few times.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I just went through the TTPMS configuration on my new 2023 3500 Limited. The config worked as it should but after shutting the engine off the HUD said TTPMS not configured. I went through the process a second time, all the tires paired perfectly but then the monitoring pressure went to red lines after shutting it off the second time. I didn't drive around with the trailer I must admit so I don't know if the sensors will "wake up" when they start rotating. I will post on this after I pull around the block a few times.
Sensors will wake up when the tires start turning. They shut down within around 10 minutes after you stop. However, not sure why the configuration is not sticking on the 22 and newer trucks. Hopefully the second time is the charm.

drstaley

Reaction score
Sensors will wake up when the tires start turning. They shut down within around 10 minutes after you stop. However, not sure why the configuration is not sticking on the 22 and newer trucks. Hopefully the second time is the charm.
Unfortunately the sensor readings are not being retained/saved upon truck shut down.

pr3dict

Reaction score
I cannot even get mine to pair. Every time I go into the tire pressure setup menu it shows like 340 kPA. That's weird I think and I go back out and then go to display units and see that kPA is selected as well as Km/l .. I put it to PSI and MP/G and go back to trailer setup. Boom it resets back to kPa and Km/l. I hate to be that guy but how is there not a lawsuit about all the false advertising RAM is doing on the features of their $100k truck that does not exist or work?

CdnHO

Reaction score
Make sure that everything is set to US units. I mean EVERYTHING.

DesertRacer

Reaction score
@RamCares I’m having the same issue with my 2022 with trailer TPMS. I almost always have to switch between trailers from the radio screen, then back to the correct trailer, to get the TPMS to come up. Once it’s working it’ll work fine until I turn off the truck and then have to repeat the process.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
@RamCares I’m having the same issue with my 2022 with trailer TPMS. I almost always have to switch between trailers from the radio screen, then back to the correct trailer, to get the TPMS to come up. Once it’s working it’ll work fine until I turn off the truck and then have to repeat the process.
Hello,

This certainly sounds frustrating. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? If not, we recommend getting an appointment in place to do so, as they are in the best position to diagnose and determine the cause of this concern. Feel free to private message us if you go that route and need any additional support at that time.

Lex
Ram Cares

Brewmark

Reaction score
Half Borrego Springs, Ca. Half McCall, Idaho
@RamCares
TTPMS Issue described in this thread:
This is the way the system is working on 2022 plus. If you take it to a dealer they won't be able to duplicate it since it only shows up when truck is connected to your pre-configured trailer. To me as a retired software engineer this is an initialization issue with the software (UConnect 5). By switching the trailer setting in the UConnect5 from a pre-configured to a non pre-configured trailor and then back to your pre-configured setting it works every time at least in my experience. It is initializing correctly and reading the sensors then. So the data (sensor identification) is retained in the system but from one power up to next it does not always initialize and says not configured.

This is an important feature and the way it is working is making RAM look bad. Someone needs to report this to the software engineering team. Only way it will ever get fixed. Dealers don't have the time/knowledge or resources to deal with this systemic issue.

Pull a Nike and get
Hello,

This certainly sounds frustrating. Have you brought this to the attention of your dealer? If not, we recommend getting an appointment in place to do so, as they are in the best position to diagnose and determine the cause of this concern. Feel free to private message us if you go that route and need any additional support at that time.

Lex
Ram Cares

@RamCares
TTPMS Issue described in this thread:
This is the way the system is working on 2022 plus. If you take it to a dealer they won't be able to duplicate it since it only shows up when truck is connected to your pre-configured trailer. To me as a retired software engineer this is an initialization issue with the software (UConnect 5). By switching the trailer setting in the UConnect5 from a pre-configured to a non pre-configured trailor and then back to your pre-configured setting it works every time at least in my experience. It is initializing correctly and reading the sensors then. So the data (sensor identification) is retained in the system but from one power up to next it does not always initialize and says not configured.

This is an important feature and the way it is working is making RAM look bad. Someone needs to report this to the software engineering team. Only way it will ever get fixed. Dealers don't have the time/knowledge or resources to deal with this systemic issue.

Pull a Nike and get it done.

DesertRacer

Reaction score
Hello,

Lex
Ram Cares
@RamCares It is not practical to tow my truck and trailer to the dealership and leave it there to troubleshoot this issue when nobody has had luck doing that. This is a repeatable issue that is widespread across 2022s as seen in this thread. This requires an investigation on the RAM side to identify this problem and push a software update to all affected trucks.

I would be happy to discuss this with an engineer at RAM to understand the sequence of events that causes this to happen to help with troubleshooting, but it’s a significant time investment and fuel cost to drag my trailer to the dealer to demonstrate a software bug. It requires towing my truck a short distance to activate the TPMS sensors, then ignition cycling the truck to show that it loses connection, then switching between trailer 1 to trailer 2, then back to trailer 1, then towing a short distance again to get the TPMS to connect. My dealer will attribute this to a software bug and be unable to help me.

I would be happy to work with RAM on solving this issue, but it simply isn’t worth my time and fuel to schedule appointments with my dealer on the weekend when they can’t help me.

Last edited:

Peterdenyer

Reaction score
@RamCares It is not practical to tow my truck and trailer to the dealership and leave it there to troubleshoot this issue when nobody has had luck doing that. This is a repeatable issue that is widespread across 2022s as seen in this thread. This requires an investigation on the RAM side to identify this problem and push a software update to all affected trucks.

I would be happy to discuss this with an engineer at RAM to understand the sequence of events that causes this to happen to help with troubleshooting, but it’s a significant time investment and fuel cost to drag my trailer to the dealer to demonstrate a software bug. It requires towing my truck a short distance to activate the TPMS sensors, then ignition cycling the truck to show that it loses connection, then switching between trailer 1 to trailer 2, then back to trailer 1, then towing a short distance again to get the TPMS to connect. My dealer will attribute this to a software bug and be unable to help me.

I would be happy to work with RAM on solving this issue, but it simply isn’t worth my time and fuel to schedule appointments with my dealer on the weekend when they can’t help me.
Same issue here with my ‘22 2500. Offered to towy trailer to nearby dealership but they said that wouldn’t help. Supposedly had their best tech evaluate the issue and opened a case with RAM . No response in the week the dealer had my truck. Had to leave on a trip.

There is certainly something wrong with this option and RAM doesn’t seem to know how to fix it.

Peterdenyer

Reaction score
I have never gotten and help from dealer or care, I don't thinik they actually "care"

But I found if you switch to a different saved trailer profile and then back to the one that has the TPMS it has worked every time for me.
Interesting idea, I’ll have to try that

SargeW

Reaction score
It's interesting that so many cheap Chinese TPMS (like <100$) will work every time, but a manufacturing giant can't get it right. I will watch this thread closely.

DesertRacer

Reaction score
It's interesting that so many cheap Chinese TPMS (like <100$) will work every time, but a manufacturing giant can't get it right. I will watch this thread closely.
I wouldn’t recommend the built in trailer TPMS. Mine has only gotten worse over time and rarely works now. I regret optioning it and should have kept my cheap standalone TPMS system from my old truck.

@RamCares This is a serious issue and needs addressing by RAM. This was an expensive option to add to my truck and is a safety feature when towing, I cannot rely on my truck to safely notify me of trailer tire issues despite paying for the feature. Safety features should not be repeatedly ignored when customers bring them to RAM’s attention. I sent you a message a couple weeks ago and haven’t heard back, please put me in touch with somebody at RAM that can investigate this issue. This cannot continue to be ignored, it has the potential to be a dangerous problem.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend the built in trailer TPMS. Mine has only gotten worse over time and rarely works now. I regret optioning it and should have kept my cheap standalone TPMS system from my old truck.

@RamCares This is a serious issue and needs addressing by RAM. This was an expensive option to add to my truck and is a safety feature when towing, I cannot rely on my truck to safely notify me of trailer tire issues despite paying for the feature. Safety features should not be repeatedly ignored when customers bring them to RAM’s attention. I sent you a message a couple weeks ago and haven’t heard back, please put me in touch with somebody at RAM that can investigate this issue. This cannot continue to be ignored, it has the potential to be a dangerous problem.
It is a range issue. The trailer sensors can't reliably send a strong enough signal to the receiver in the bumper. I have given up and made up an extention cable to place the receiver just in front of the the trailer axle and it works great. I paid for the option and I think that it is absolutely stupid that Chrysler didn't bother testing the system before putting it out there on the market. I ended up spending almost a 100 bucks to get the system to work properly. To add salt to the wound, when I went to the dealer with the problem, they didn't even know the system existed. No wonder people have no faith in dealerships.

DesertRacer

Reaction score
It is a range issue. The trailer sensors can't reliably send a strong enough signal to the receiver in the bumper. I have given up and made up an extention cable to place the receiver just in front of the the trailer axle and it works great. I paid for the option and I think that it is absolutely stupid that Chrysler didn't bother testing the system before putting it out there on the market. I ended up spending almost a 100 bucks to get the system to work properly. To add salt to the wound, when I went to the dealer with the problem, they didn't even know the system existed. No wonder people have no faith in dealerships.
Mine fails to recognize that TPMS is even configured. Trailer 1 will say TPMS is not configured but switching to trailer 2, then back to 1, will sometimes make it remember that TPMS is configured, and then they’ll pick up shortly after. Once I can get trailer 1 to actually look for the sensors they pick up fine and last until the next key cycle and then the process repeats.

Is that the same issue you had before?

From what I can tell, the truck has a problem with looking for the sensors, but once it does, there’s no issues. Mine also loses the TPMS warning setting constantly, it’s like it forgets the TPMS configuration every key cycle and has to relearn it.

CdnHO

Reaction score
Mine fails to recognize that TPMS is even configured. Trailer 1 will say TPMS is not configured but switching to trailer 2, then back to 1, will sometimes make it remember that TPMS is configured, and then they’ll pick up shortly after. Once I can get trailer 1 to actually look for the sensors they pick up fine and last until the next key cycle and then the process repeats.

Is that the same issue you had before?

From what I can tell, the truck has a problem with looking for the sensors, but once it does, there’s no issues. Mine also loses the TPMS warning setting constantly, it’s like it forgets the TPMS configuration every key cycle and has to relearn it.
It appears that the problem you are having is common on 22MY trucks which is using a newer radio firmware. My issue was that once paired the sensors would drop out at random, usually on the rear axle. I also has a problem with pairing the sensors and it took several tries, each time the system timing out before I could get the tires paired. Regardless, the system has been an issue for many users since they first introduced it in 21MY. I doubt if Chrysler has it on the priority list for a fix. I have reported it as a safety issue both to the US NHTSA and the Canadian DOT. At least I found a work around. Your issues sound more software related.

Users who are viewing this thread