Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Aisin Failure Tracking Sheet

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
@1ram and @Danspump I updated both of your slots to include the information you posted above. Please keep me updated as you go through this. If there is data missing, please do your best to get it to me whenever it’s convenient for you. I appreciate both of you being willing to contribute your data to the spreadsheet

Bow & Arrows

Reaction score
Hello -
I just found your forum.
Here's my story.
5/21/23 I bought a new 2022 3500HD Laramie crew cab dually 4x4, (16 miles on it) in Van Nuys CA.
I thought it was a great find.
I recently sold my 2014 3500 Laramie Longhorn crew cab dually 4x4 with 89k mile on it,
I had it 3 years and put 30k miles on it, great truck but out of warranty and not HD.
So I stepped up and bought a new one.
I guess I did not do enough research I did not know about this issue.
I was advised to have the oil changed at 500 miles, after break in.
6/24/23 I took it to my local dealer in Monrovia CA for an oil change at 420 miles,
before going on a little trip, 600 miles, the next day.
My service writer called me minutes after I dropped it off and said they need to pull the trans,
He said that the truck should not have been released to me before this issue was resolved,
He said RRT#20385 was issued 3/8/23 and RRT#23086 was issued on 3/23/23 addressing this issue.
RRT = Rapid Response Transmittal
I called my Salesman at Van Nuys, he said that they fixed 1 recall for the dipstick before they released the truck to me and nothing else came up.
6/30/23 I went and saw the truck, trans out, in pieces, parts everywhere,
I was shown the new snap ring that should fix the problem,
They say it will be ready 7/3/23.
I am happy that the trans did not fail, but very, very not happy that I was not informed of this known problem before I took delivery of the truck.
After seeing the pile of parts on Friday that my $85k truck has become, (plus extended warranty...) I would hope that I would have backed out of that deal and waited and bought a 2024?
What do you think?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello -
I just found your forum.
Here's my story.
5/21/23 I bought a new 2022 3500HD Laramie crew cab dually 4x4, (16 miles on it) in Van Nuys CA.
I recently sold my 2014 3500 Laramie Longhorn crew cab dually 4x4 with 89k mile on it,
I had it 3 years and put 30k miles on it, great truck but out of warranty and not HD.
6/24/23 I took it to my local dealer in Monrovia CA for an oil change at 420 miles,
My service writer called me minutes after I dropped it off and said they need to pull the trans,
He said that the truck should not have been released to me before this issue was resolved,
He said RRT#20385 was issued 3/8/23 and RRT#23086 was issued on 3/23/23 addressing this issue.
I called my Salesman at Van Nuys, he said that they fixed 1 recall for the dipstick before they released the truck to me and nothing else came up.
I am happy that the trans did not fail, but very, very not happy that I was not informed of this known problem before I took delivery of the truck.
After seeing the pile of parts on Friday that my $85k truck has become, (plus extended warranty...) I would hope that I would have backed out of that deal and waited and bought a 2024?
What do you think?

I think someone is confused. Probably your salesman.

The dipstick recall is for the 68RFE

The K1 snap ring RRT is for the AISIN.

I think once you get the K1 issue resolved, you will have a reliable, dependable, enjoyable truck.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello -
I just found your forum.
Here's my story.
What do you think?
I’m not familiar with the RRT numbers. I’m assuming the one released 3/8/23 is the update to TSB 21-002-23 for the K1 failure. Also known as RSU 23-065. Can you clarify?

It’s good that the service writer is on the ball. At least they knew to check for the RSU and were good enough to contact you and get the ball rolling. They were right to say the truck should never have been sold to you without the preemptive repair to the Aisin completed. Your selling dealer should have checked the trucks VIN by running it through their DealerCONNECT system prior to sale. Ram released that information on 3/8/23 to all dealers.

In terms of the repair, it is actually good that your truck did not fail. If the dealer doing the K1 preemptive repair is capable, your truck should be reliable and enjoyable moving forward. Have they completed this work on any other trucks aside from yours?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
If they can check the trucks on the lot for the K1 snap ring failure why do the rest of us have to wait until it fails and strands us along the highway??
And that right there is the billion dollar question.

If you can get the answer to that question please let us all know. I’ve been asking that same question since January 10th 2023. They (Ram) released the technical service bulletin for this issue the next day (1/11/23). 172 days, and 255 confirmed trucks on my spreadsheet later, I still don’t have the answer and we’re still stuck with “fix as they fail” for trucks already sold. I have no doubt that there have been far more failures than what my little spreadsheet covers.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
And that right there is the billion dollar question.

If you can get the answer to that question please let us all know. I’ve been asking that same question since January 10th 2023. They (Ram) released the technical service bulletin for this issue the next day (1/11/23). 172 days, and 255 confirmed trucks on my spreadsheet later, I still don’t have the answer and we’re still stuck with “fix as they fail” for trucks already sold. I have no doubt that there have been far more failures than what my little spreadsheet covers.
From my understanding, once the TSB went out; anyone can have the fix done. They just need to claim the trans is not shifting correctly. they will check for trouble codes, if none are found they order parts and proceed with scheduling the replacement

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
From my understanding, once the TSB went out; anyone can have the fix done. They just need to claim the trans is not shifting correctly. they will check for trouble codes, if none are found they order parts and proceed with scheduling the replacement
Anyone who experienced a K1 failure can have the fix done, but there is no way for owners or dealers to identify trucks prior to the truck actually failing.

Conversely, this is absolutely possible for un-sold 2022 trucks. Ram uploaded a bunch of affected VIN numbers to their DealerCONNECT database. All a dealer has to do is enter a 2022 Aisin truck’s VIN into the system and if the truck is susceptible to the failure, it will flag the truck. The dealer then can order the repair parts and pull the transmission. They then fix it before it fails.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Anyone who experienced a K1 failure can have the fix done, but there is no way for owners or dealers to identify trucks prior to the truck actually failing.

Conversely, this is absolutely possible for un-sold 2022 trucks. Ram uploaded a bunch of affected VIN numbers to their DealerCONNECT database. All a dealer has to do is enter a 2022 Aisin truck’s VIN into the system and if the truck is susceptible to the failure, it will flag the truck. The dealer then can order the repair parts and pull the transmission. They then fix it before it fails.
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/Service Library, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or
symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair
order and repair as necessary before proceeding further with this bulletin.
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above or if the technician finds the DTC,
perform the Repair Procedure.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
DIAGNOSIS:
Using a Scan Tool (wiTECH) with the appropriate Diagnostic Procedures available in
DealerCONNECT/Service Library, verify all related systems are functioning as designed. If DTCs or
symptom conditions, other than the ones listed above are present, record the issues on the repair
If the customer describes the symptom/condition listed above or if the technician finds the DTC,
I think you’re missing the point. Or maybe I’m not explaining clearly.

The only way you get a K1 repair on a truck that’s already sold is if it demonstrates the symptoms and DTC’s of the K1 failure. It’s only going to do this if it has already failed.

Conversely,

For un-sold 2022’s that are brand new, with zero miles, sitting on the lot, all a dealer has to do is run the trucks VIN through DealerCONNECT. If that vin search returns a red flag for RSU 23-065, then they are permitted to order the K1 snap ring repair parts and install them into a brand new truck that has yet to fail.

Unfortunately there does not exist any VIN search that will identify a sold truck as potentially having this issue. There is no way for a dealer to identify a truck that has already been sold, but has yet to fail, as being “affected” and thus be able to pull and repair the transmission before it fails.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score

The only way you get a K1 repair on a truck that’s already sold is if it demonstrates the symptoms and DTC’s of the K1 failure. It’s only going to do this if it has already failed.

Conversely,

For un-sold 2022’s that are brand new, with zero miles, sitting on the lot, all a dealer has to do is run the trucks VIN through DealerCONNECT. If that vin search returns a red flag for RSU 23-065, then they are permitted to order the K1 snap ring repair parts and install them into a brand new truck that has yet to fail.

Unfortunately there does not exist any VIN search that will identify a sold truck as potentially having this issue. There is no way for a dealer to identify a truck that has already been sold, but has yet to fail, as being “affected” and thus be able to pull and repair the transmission before it fails.
So, how the heck can a dealer check the VIN of an unsold truck but not one that's been sold, that's BS... if they know the VINs of trucks that may be affected it doesn't matter it it's on the lot or if it was sold a month ago.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
So, how the heck can a dealer check the VIN of an unsold truck but not one that's been sold, that's BS... if they know the VINs of trucks that may be affected it doesn't matter it it's on the lot or if it was sold a month ago.
That’s what I’d like to know also. But the TSB / RSU document Ram released to its dealers was very specific. It states very plainly that unsold VIN’s were uploaded to DealerCONNECT for dealers to use for checking their inventory. It doesn’t say anything about trucks that were already sold. I’ve had several people run their 2022 Aisin vins through to see if they would come back as flagged and it doesn’t. These are a mix of trucks that were confirmed failed, and trucks that had not failed.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score

Conversely,

I get what you are saying, I've just been told otherwise. IF you complain about it not going into gear, reguardless of if it does or not, they will schedule the replacement. Its not tied to finding the DTC's, its tied to the owner complaint. You complain, they don't find the codes, and schedule the replacement.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
I get what you are saying, I've just been told otherwise. IF you complain about it not going into gear, reguardless of if it does or not, they will schedule the replacement. Its not tied to finding the DTC's, its tied to the owner complaint. You complain, they don't find the codes, and schedule the replacement.
Not sure on that. I guess it’s possible but I think you would have a hard time getting any traction with this. If they can take the truck for a successful test drive and it functions and passes all diagnostics, it’s clearly not failed. There is no “sometimes” with this failure and Ram and the dealers (or at least most of them) would know that. They’re pretty stingy when it comes to warranty work when it isn’t necessary

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Not sure on that. I guess it’s possible but I think you would have a hard time getting any traction with this. If they can take the truck for a successful test drive and it functions and passes all diagnostics, it’s clearly not failed. There is no “sometimes” with this failure and Ram and the dealers (or at least most of them) would know that. They’re pretty stingy when it comes to warranty work when it isn’t necessary
The TSB clearly states that just the complaint is enough. last sentence in bold. No DTC is required, just a complaint.
DIAGNOSIS:

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
The TSB clearly states that just the complaint is enough. last sentence in bold. No DTC is required, just a complaint.
DIAGNOSIS:
Thanks for posting the same language again. I’ve read the document no less than 100 times over the past six months that I’ve been documenting and tracking this failure. Probably don’t need to read it 101 times.

You’re not getting it. I don’t care what the language in the TSB document says, and neither will any dealer worth their weight. The process for repairing one of these is already established and requires certain things to fall into place.

If you take a running driving perfectly fine 3500 Aisin in to the shop and complain that it’s “not going into gear” they’re going to conduct their normal diagnostic procedure and very quickly confirm that the truck is running and driving as designed. When they do these repairs, they have to document specifics for warranty in order to get reimbursed by Chrysler for the repairs. The process takes multiple hours and ties up a rack for the better part of a day (maybe longer depending on the situation). They’re going to plug their Witech tool into the truck, run through diagnostics and see there are no DTC’s present, and then they’ll physically test the truck and see it’s working fine. They’re not going to tie up the rack for a perfectly good truck, despite whatever language is in that document. The parts to repair these failures are scarce to begin with so they’re not going to release them without solid proof the truck needs them. That proof comes in the form of a confirmed set of DTC’s as well as confirmation by a level 3 tech that the truck will physically not move. They’re not even going to drop the pan or the trans if the truck is running fine.

If what you’re trying to claim were true, then every owner of a 2022 Aisin truck could walk into the dealership tomorrow, falsify a claim and say “it’s not going into gear” and they would then be forced to repair it. At that point, Ram might as well just issue a full recall and bring the trucks in on their schedule. Which isn’t going to happen.

The truck won’t get fixed unless it actually has failed, or if the dealership is willing to falsify reports and risk having to pay out of pocket for any repairs associated with the illegitimate repair. No DTC’s, No confirmed failure, no repair.

I wish they would indeed just identify trucks that were sold or issue the full recall so that everyone could put this mess behind them and move forward but that hasn’t happened yet, and doesn’t apppear that it will in the near future.

Steve_Cornell

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the same language again. I’ve read the document no less than 100 times over the past six months that I’ve been documenting and tracking this failure. Probably don’t need to read it 101 times.

You’re not getting it. I don’t care what the language in the TSB document says, and neither will any dealer worth their weight. The process for repairing one of these is already established and requires certain things to fall into place.

If you take a running driving perfectly fine 3500 Aisin in to the shop and complain that it’s “not going into gear” they’re going to conduct their normal diagnostic procedure and very quickly confirm that the truck is running and driving as designed. When they do these repairs, they have to document specifics for warranty in order to get reimbursed by Chrysler for the repairs. The process takes multiple hours and ties up a rack for the better part of a day (maybe longer depending on the situation). They’re going to plug their Witech tool into the truck, run through diagnostics and see there are no DTC’s present, and then they’ll physically test the truck and see it’s working fine. They’re not going to tie up the rack for a perfectly good truck, despite whatever language is in that document. The parts to repair these failures are scarce to begin with so they’re not going to release them without solid proof the truck needs them. That proof comes in the form of a confirmed set of DTC’s as well as confirmation by a level 3 tech that the truck will physically not move. They’re not even going to drop the pan or the trans if the truck is running fine.

If what you’re trying to claim were true, then every owner of a 2022 Aisin truck could walk into the dealership tomorrow, falsify a claim and say “it’s not going into gear” and they would then be forced to repair it. At that point, Ram might as well just issue a full recall and bring the trucks in on their schedule. Which isn’t going to happen.

The truck won’t get fixed unless it actually has failed, or if the dealership is willing to falsify reports and risk having to pay out of pocket for any repairs associated with the illegitimate repair. No DTC’s, No confirmed failure, no repair.

I wish they would indeed just identify trucks that were sold or issue the full recall so that everyone could put this mess behind them and move forward but that hasn’t happened yet, and doesn’t apppear that it will in the near future.
Agreed!
My dealer told me there is nothing they will do until there is a check engine light and DTC or it breaks down on the road...
with that being said to be fair to the rest of us why these hell are they checking brand new on the lot trucks with no DTCs??

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed!
My dealer told me there is nothing they will do until there is a check engine light and DTC or it breaks down on the road...
with that being said to be fair to the rest of us why these hell are they checking brand new on the lot trucks with no DTCs??
Likely because they have information we don’t. I’m fairly certain they can tell, based on production sequence numbers, which trucks likely got bad transmission snap rings. They know this issue is gaining ground in the user circles and they want to continue to be able to sell them. So they’re trying restore buyer confidence and eliminate the chance for having to deal with the truck at a later date. They’re already inundated with these failures as it is so they don’t want more coming their way. The public who already purchased the trucks are basically the gamble they’re willing to take. Or at least that’s how it seems. I think they would rather the trucks trickle into dealers a few a day rather than issue a full recall and have to deal with them en masse. Remember, their bottom line and their shareholders are the driving factor behind the vast majority of their decisions. Very rarely do these corporations make decisions based upon what’s in the best interest of their customers / consumers.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score

I appreciate the sarcasm. One the one hand you are saying the dealership follows the TSB but on the other, you dont care what it says. A TSB is just that. Its a notice for allowed repair. Just like the TSB that came out for the 2018 HD front track bar. If the nut was found secure, they wielded it. if it was loose they replaced the track bar. They wielded mine, i had no choice in the matter they just did it. Week later they replaced it because I could not get an alignment with a wielded nut. If your dealer will not order parts then they are not following the TSB, as it clearly state to replace it on customer complaint.

Have you tried getting your dealer to replace it, or called RAM care to get a District warranty manager to authorize the replacement before it breaks? Do you not agree that the TSB says to replace on customer complaint? Now whether the dealer has the understanding or not is a different questions. Also the TSB never calls for the pan removal. The process is to drop the trans, and check for play in in the input shaft. Debris in the pan is great, but you cant tell where it came from. Honestly only the play in the input shaft can confirm a failure. There is also a wiring harness that can go bad. I have buddy who is in the shop now with that issue. There is also the ECU issue that causes almost Identical issues. Most of those were fixed before leaving Mexico, but apparently a couple made it out. htere is also a PCM (power control module) That mimics the same loss of forward movement, form what the dealer tech told me. The dealer we are at, orders the new K1 on customer complaint. There is a 2022 RAM 3500 SRW with 36k on it next door to us. I told him about our issue. He took his in Friday and they are ordering parts for it. No CEL, no P0731, P0733 codes. Just straight up fixing it, and he is the second owner.

You see I think dealers would rather order parts to fix a truck rather than have one sit on their lift waiting on parts. I would ask though, cause this is a PITA for sure. That is 100% experience related.

CharlieTangoWhiskey

Reaction score
Likely because they have information we don’t. I’m fairly certain they can tell, based on production sequence numbers, which trucks likely got bad transmission snap rings. They know this issue is gaining ground in the user circles and they want to continue to be able to sell them. So they’re trying restore buyer confidence and eliminate the chance for having to deal with the truck at a later date. They’re already inundated with these failures as it is so they don’t want more coming their way. The public who already purchased the trucks are basically the gamble they’re willing to take. Or at least that’s how it seems. I think they would rather the trucks trickle into dealers a few a day rather than issue a full recall and have to deal with them en masse. Remember, their bottom line and their shareholders are the driving factor behind the vast majority of their decisions. Very rarely do these corporations make decisions based upon what’s in the best interest of their customers / consumers.
I imagine RAM has no clue what range of production the Snap Ring issue fell into. It would be Way cheaper to fix a specific number of vehicles under a recall. They know how many parts they need, they can control the flow, they dont have to pay rental fees from warranty. The cost of warranty diagnostics alone is enough to issue the recall. I guearentee you, they dont know, because AISIN does not know where or when in the manufacturing process the deviation happened. I sure they know a range, but have been more concerned with correcting the deviation than tracking the time frame. Now that they seem to have the production fixed, I would expect to see a tighter time frame of effected trucks. I have worked in automotive production and can tell you all it takes is for one die to be used 100 times too many, or 500lbs of weight extra to stamping machine and you have a problem. Keep in mind dies are pulled and some idiot, trying to reach production numbers puts in an old one. Now you have two time frames you are trying to pin point. Im all for bashing RAM or any other manufacture, but there may be more too this than RAM trying to save a buck.

Users who are viewing this thread